The Lost Dutchman Mine, and the Superstition Mountain

JFDIAFF

Greenie
Dec 14, 2016
United States
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I was a young buck, I used to always visit my dad in Arizona. I always heard about the Lost Dutchman Mine in the Superstition Mountain. Legends have been something I've always been interesting. It's something I would be interested in looking for, as well. Would it be worth it? If I would find a mine in that general area, is there anything that would confirm that it would be the Lost Dutchman Mine, or would it look like any other mine?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... I always heard about the Lost Dutchman Mine in the Superstition Mountain. Legends have been something I've always been interesting. ...

Did you read my "treasure legends" post I just posted ? I'd lump the lost Dutchman in the same category.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a young buck, I used to always visit my dad in Arizona. I always heard about the Lost Dutchman Mine in the Superstition Mountain. Legends have been something I've always been interesting. It's something I would be interested in looking for, as well. Would it be worth it? If I would find a mine in that general area, is there anything that would confirm that it would be the Lost Dutchman Mine, or would it look like any other mine?

Of course don't look like any other mine . There , after will remove the first layer of rocks , you will find cigars , a champagne bottle and some glasses to celebrate your find .

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

There are so many versions of the legend, and what the mine is or isn't. Having grown up in Phoenix, and put in many weeks hiking and riding in the Superstition Mountains as a kid with his dad, as a Boy Scout, and as a paid guide, I can tell you that there are MANY old mine shafts in the range. If you go JUST to find a myth, you will be disappointed. If you go to experience the raw beauty, rough country, and natural dangers - you'll love it! WINTER is the time to explore the Superstitions. In the summer the dangers are magnified by 100X. Do your homework on the mountains, measure your fitness, and pack in the RIGHT gear to keep yourself alive. DO NOT go into the Supes by yourself!!!!! Good Luck! :skullflag:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
JFDIAFF:

I suggest you mosey over to the Treasure Legends - Lost Dutchman sub-forum here on TN.

There is a vast amount of literature on the LDM. Some of it is half-vast. I suggest you start with Robert Blair's classic Tales of the Superstitions; The Origins of the Lost Dutchman Legend (1975). Actually, you could stop there as well. But, as Greg Davis can tell you, treasure hunting literature is a lot like peanuts, potato chips and beer. Once you start it can be dang hard to stop.

Another classic version of the tale is and Sims Ely's The Lost Dutchman Mine (1953). A personal favorite of mine is Barney Barnard's Superstition Mountain and its Famed Lost Dutchman Mine (1952 and reprinted many times). No - that copy you just bought wasn't autographed by the author. The inscription and signature are printed on the title page.

There has been an annual cookout-campout-potluck-yarn fest down in Arizona. You might think about attending if it's something you are interested in. Be sure to visit the Superstition Mountain Historical Society Museum!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread