Anyone know where the hill is?

I can't seem to find the location.

A. Grignon

Oct 9, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT & Whites Beachhunter
Re: The Lost Treasure of "N" Word Hill - Crivitz, Wisconsin

I was actually in Crivitz and went looking for this hill. I found a hill on left foot lake, surrounded by swamp, looked good but all I found was some .22 shells and about 99 ticks! I know left foot lake is south west I think and the legend says south east (i think) of crivitz, but I couldn't find any hill south east of Crivitz along the R.
Does anyone know how this legend got started or what paper it was originally in???

Kenosha Kid

Dec 13, 2010
Wisconsin

A. Grignon said:
I was actually in Crivitz and went looking for this hill. I found a hill on left foot lake, surrounded by swamp, looked good but all I found was some .22 shells and about 99 ticks! I know left foot lake is south west I think and the legend says south east (i think) of crivitz, but I couldn't find any hill south east of Crivitz along the R.
Does anyone know how this legend got started or what paper it was originally in???

Left Foot Lake is more south from Crivitz that it is SW. SW would be more on a line from Crivitz toward the airport, around Kuchta Rd., imo.

The article (from the given link) states it's "upon a location near the Peshtigo River and about 2 miles SW of what is now the village of Crivitz...They built a log trading post and stockade on the top of a hill overlooking the river". That hill was then called "N" Hill.

This one, from the Peshtigo Times, mentions the Wisconsin-Michigan Railroad line from Bagley Junction to “N" Hill that was started in 1882 and completed in 1883. It also mentions an old Indian trail that ran south of Crivitz. http://www.peshtigotimes.net/?id=9588

This link, from the Wisconsin Historical Society, provides lots of info about the history of that area (1871-1941). It may help out when looking for other nearby areas to check out. http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/wlh...ln=&fn=&q=&y1=&y2=&ci=&co=Marinette&mhd=&shd=

...or, just go to "advanced" search, pick a county and "from/to years"...

As far as the start of any legend of actual gold (other than the 1917 newsprint that says it's been "lost for over 100 years"), I've only found the Menominee tribe has it as part of their legends. They were supposedly cheated over a liquor trade and when they raided the trading post, they found neither liquor nor treasure. It's been said to have been buried nearby. It's been searched for as far back as the late 1800's with one finding the old post but no treasure (known/recorded/reported searches).

go deep

Greenie
Apr 11, 2006
michigan
Detector(s) used
whites mxt

The Hill is so much a hill as a rise out of the water. The site is known to the land owners and the History. They do not allow people on thier land to search but do at times search it themselves. Is this for sure the site? many maps and articals point to it. Nothing has been found so, the hunt goes on. Take Care Go Deep

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This story seems too 'storyfied'.

Most of the legends sort of smell the same, if you know what I mean.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Try N...... Nathan Hill between Onalaska and Sparta Wisconsin

llkrea

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2018
Menomonee Falls, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a lot of research I found a map from 1860s,70s or 80s that actually has the label "Nxxxxx Hill". I also talked to a guy running the historical museum next to the high school and he confirmed that the hill was just south of the Dollar store. So as you come north on 41, just as you cross over Peshtigo river, you will see it on the right. There is a Cellcom tower on it now.
There is a dirt gravel road off the highway going up to the top. I didnt see any No Trespassing signs but it is private property. So my suggestion is if you do drive up to look around, do not stray too far and do not dig. With the cell tower you do not know where power cables might be. You might get a signal from the detector only to dig up high voltage.
I poked around a bit in the daytime and saw some depressions in the ground probably from dig sites.
When I read all the stories it appears it was searched and dug so much that the treasure is not there. I do believe they buried or hid treasure but I believe the Native Indians knew that they had gold and silver and knew to look for fresh dirt nearby to find it. Otherwise the friendly indian who warned Redbeard may have dug it up when he found out Redbeard died.
Either way, I think the real treasure would be to find Redbeard and his African partner and give them a proper burial and maybe dna test.

Hilbert

Oct 7, 2021
I live in Wausaukee and known about the legend from older timers. I was actually surprised to hear of the location people said it is nowadays. But not allot know about it anymore and the ones that do nowadays seems like they didn’t hear growing up but found out from hearing and looking up on internet. Personally I was surprised when I found out that it was supposed to be located south of crivitz by the hill motel sits on or whatever everyone thinks now.But then again I was told by old timers like I said when I grew up wishing they have one those fancy metal detectors. I don’t care what anyone says that not the location I’ve been thinking I should go look myself but just I guess no time or to lazy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread