The Mahoney Mine

TheMahoneyMine

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2022
We just joined the forums and look forward to the discussions. We also have a few claims near Virginia City, Nevada. They are not far from our house where we have a small plant set up. Old school hard rock mining. We play in the dirt on the weekends and bring the ore home in 50lb ore sacks and process it. We have decent values.
We are small scale, full process miners. From prospecting, mining, processing, and then smelting. It is what we love.
Although it has a long way to go, as I am not much of a movie maker, we have a YouTube page at https://youtube.com/channel/UCbSdsWd-SOYTVaJ0qAyw9Rw if you would like to see a few amateur clips of what we do. You may get a few ideas from it. Thanks.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like fun! Lots of sunshine in Nevada. Ore still producing some color, wild history attached to mine.

OP
OP
TheMahoneyMine

TheMahoneyMine

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2022
Looks like fun! Lots of sunshine in Nevada. Ore still producing some color, wild history attached to mine.
Yes, the mine has a bunch of wild history attached to it. Some statements made by one of the first owners (and we have it in writing) claimed they were averaging between 1/2 oz and 3 oz per ton. We have been getting 1/2 oz averages pretty consistently. Now we are seeking that 3oz stuff!

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People don't realize how much ore grades can vary. Better grade ores can go 1/2 ounce or more per ton. Lower grades under a 1/2 ounce down to hardly break even on costs or worse.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you start to run into 1 1/2 oz. or better grades you should be able to start seeing it with your eyes if it is gravity free milling values. This can then be graded more before processing for a better return per ton processed.

OP
OP
TheMahoneyMine

TheMahoneyMine

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2022
If you start to run into 1 1/2 oz. or better grades you should be able to start seeing it with your eyes if it is gravity free milling values. This can then be graded more before processing for a better return per ton processed.
I have a few videos on our YouTube page of the type of gold we are getting. It is very fine 50-100 mesh. I think once we get in to the bottom of the original stopes we should find some wider veins in the andesite base that may produce larger ore at better values.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread