The Minelab Equinox 800 is a Piece of Junk

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Midalake, no one has invented the perfect machine. I have XP Deus and two Tesoros now.

Yes, and unless a machine walks down the beach and only digs gold, PLUS puts it into my pocket. Well guess we will be waiting a long time! :laughing7:

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I skipped ALL of the replies and will just say this....if you wanted to start a thread that will get a lot of replies, you did good!:laughing7:

OP
OP
Woodsy

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, Everything is cool now you guys. The EQ is sitting next to me sucking the juice from the wall and I am no longer angry with her. Were all just getting ready for bed. Tomorrow will be another day. :icon_thumleft:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check all your connections. And NOBODY needs to really "learn" a new detector like in the old days. Use the factory presents, go slow and remember, if it's not there, you won't find it. .

This right here.

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trade ya my Tejon with 3 coils plus a Cleansweep coil.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a Tejon. No need to worry if it will miss silver while hitting gold.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do they say it takes 10,000 hours before you really master something? When I started with the NOX 800 I wanted to so badly to switch back to the XP Deus and not look @ the NOX 800 ever again!! These days I havent swung the XP Deus in over a year, I just see no reason to I am fully confident that the NOX will hoover up any good and junk targets under the ground. It has even pulled a gold ring from a spot that the Deus had swung over for hours! Each machine has it's good sides and bad its up to you to use each machine to its fullest potential and I am pretty sure an hour of swinging you didn't learn sh*t...

IMG_1409.JPG

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Just take the Tesoro with for back up in case you get frustrated or the phones won't pair....anything to keep the thrill of the hunt on when in the field!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always take a backup machine and a pair of earbuds. Maybe even a Bud-weiser! (I hate beer-actually it hates me.)

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple quick thoughts on this topic

1.) I've been burnt on the headphone & MI6 Pinpointer wireless on my Deus, so it is not an Equinox specific issue (always charge the evening before a hunt/ test pairing and unpairing several times before your first hunt) * Always keep a back-up pair of hardwired phones on hand and I actually prefer my wired headphones on most of my machines.

2.) Coming from a single-tone machine like the Tejon - I would recommend you hunt in 5 tones on the Equinox (50 is overwhelming). Those VDI #'s are pretty spot on if it is jumping more than 2 numbers it is probably suspect from what I have seen.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[For future reference] Got to be a little adaptable in the field, why not hunt with the speaker until headphone connection was figured out ?

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Read the manual, watch all the instruction videos . I've had mine for 2 years use it in water on land in the mud and snow. Have over 500 hours on it. I still try to adjust it to try to get better performance. But this is a beast no other detector I have used is this easy to use and goes this deep. I have used the Whites V31 garret AT pro and Minelab 3030. Make sure your running it in 50 tones and multifrequency. I use the 15" coil in high trash areas and it separates targets unbelievably. Anytime you get a new detector expect a learning curve and some frustration. So always bring your other detector with you for when you get frustrated. I will promise you when you get the hang of the Knox you will be satisfied and find many targets in hunted out areas.

OP
OP
Woodsy

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE: I think these minilab headphones are only good for a couple of hours on a charge. Today, I charged up the WM 08 module and connected it to a pair of Grey Ghost NDT's and it worked flawlessly all day long. I think the module is the ticket. The Grey Ghost headphones were very warm and comfortable in the cold wind. I also noticed that the module runs off wifi instead of Bluetooth, but I think the Minelab phones will be better in the summer when it gets hot. Just have to remember to bring the cord so they can be plugged into the module when the battery dies.

Other than that, the detector worked very well. I didn't have to drive to the hunting location, so yes, there were a couple of cold beers in my treasure pouch. I dug up a couple more wheat's and some clad, {no silver:sadsmiley:}, but nevertheless, it was a beautiful day and a very pleasant hunt.

5-tones instead of 50? thats something I didn't think of. I do admit that yesterday all that jingling was driving nuts, but I think I am getting used to it. So i might just leave it alone, but thank you for pointing this out.

OP
OP
Woodsy

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do they say it takes 10,000 hours before you really master something? When I started with the NOX 800 I wanted to so badly to switch back to the XP Deus and not look @ the NOX 800 ever again!! These days I havent swung the XP Deus in over a year, I just see no reason to I am fully confident that the NOX will hoover up any good and junk targets under the ground. It has even pulled a gold ring from a spot that the Deus had swung over for hours! Each machine has it's good sides and bad its up to you to use each machine to its fullest potential and I am pretty sure an hour of swinging you didn't learn sh*t...

View attachment 1911230

I would be curious to know what your detector read that as?

OP
OP
Woodsy

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woodsy - I know you had a frustrating first day out but put the time in to go slow and learn the different modes and audio and take it to a sweet site (Smokey helps me in that department) and you will ultimately be rewarded.

Look at my tips in the post linked below on how to approach starting out with the Equinox.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/equinox/596895-so-you-just-got-equinox-christmas.html

(Psst - don't tell anyone but I absolutely hated it on day one, too - but it clicked soon enough)

And if it still doesn't float your boat, it has great resale value.

Smokey just makes you want to move to Maryland.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Half of my digging is in Pennsylvania and the other half in Virginia!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread