1.5 MB · Views: 155

treasureguy56

Mar 31, 2019
Half way Between Perry and Owosso Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210 , Tesoro Golden Sabre , CZ5 , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make no mistake , the 800 is a more complicated machine - but I have found the rewards to be worth it . I do not believe a beginner should be starting out on this machine ( Im not saying that your a beginner - I was just throwing that out there ) . I have had no real issues with this technology that a little reading in the manual or help from the folks here could not help me with , just want to stress this isn't your grand daddy's machine .
Al

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE: I think these minilab headphones are only good for a couple of hours on a charge. Today, I charged up the WM 08 module and connected it to a pair of Grey Ghost NDT's and it worked flawlessly all day long. I think the module is the ticket. The Grey Ghost headphones were very warm and comfortable in the cold wind. I also noticed that the module runs off wifi instead of Bluetooth, but I think the Minelab phones will be better in the summer when it gets hot. Just have to remember to bring the cord so they can be plugged into the module when the battery dies.

Other than that, the detector worked very well. I didn't have to drive to the hunting location, so yes, there were a couple of cold beers in my treasure pouch. I dug up a couple more wheat's and some clad, {no silver:sadsmiley:}, but nevertheless, it was a beautiful day and a very pleasant hunt.

5-tones instead of 50? thats something I didn't think of. I do admit that yesterday all that jingling was driving nuts, but I think I am getting used to it. So i might just leave it alone, but thank you for pointing this out.

You have a problem with your headphones if they are unable to last for an all day 10+ hour or more hunt. Have done that multiple times.

BTW WM08 is the same radio technology as bluetooth - its not WiFi its Wi Stream, just a ML trade name for their proprietary wireless audio they use. Same as Quest or Garrett's proprietary wireless audio systems.

5 tones is easier to deal with. You can even do 2 tones (ferrpus/non-ferrous). Keep it simple until you get more confident with it. It's all in the link I provided you above.

Last edited:

ripvanb

May 7, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started using the Equinox 800 after only ever using the Tesoro Compadre and have had great success with it. I agree with others that 5 Tones is a good setting to start with. 50 tones is still overwhelming for me. yeah like vferrari said those headphones should definitely be lasting you around 10 hours on a full charge. Maybe you're not turning them off after? Good luck!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With my 800 and wireless headphones, the battery in it lasts longer than the one in the detector. I've never had it go dead during a hunt. I do find it a bit finicky during start up even after it gets properly paired initially. I find that it works best to start the detector first, then as soon as you hear the first beep, you immediately press and hold the start button on the headphones until you see the blue light come on. Immediately release the button and wait a second or two for it to connect. If you need to shut off the detector at any time, also turn off the headphones and repeat the start up procedure when you want to hunt again. Any delay or gap in this procedure or holding buttons too long can result in having to go through the complete re-pairing procedure as if it was never paired in the first place. Hopefully this situation can be improved upon in future versions.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have noticed with small headphone batteries, you will have to recharge them before the main coil battery. They are just smaller and need it. Doesn't matter what brand.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's any relationship, takes a while to get to know how to finish each others sentences.
1000 hrs on any machine before I know it.

LoyalistDigger

Dec 14, 2015
Strathcona County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went on a hunt today and decided to give the Nox 800 a shot. After about an hour in the woods around an old cabin where I found a lot of old coins with my Tesoro Tejon, I got tired of digging a lot of garbage signals with this detector, so I made my way out to the road where I was given permission by a woman to search around her 100-year-old farmhouse.

Early into the hunt, I dug a wheat penny and an old token. Nature called, and I went off into the brush to take a leak. When I came back the wireless headphones would not reconnect to the metal detector under any circumstances. It ruined my entire hunt and I wanted to bash this thing into the side of a tree.

My wish is that I would of had my Tejon. The Minelab Equinox 800 is a real Piece of Junk.

You can download an instruction manual. Try it sometime...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got rid of my last Equinox. boo hoo. However, that said I have a new low mileage 2015 LTZ sitting in the driveway now. Just put Weathertech liners in her! Couldn't help myself. Remote start, 6 cylinder, sunroof, leather interior, backup camera does not detect all by itself.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got rid of my last Equinox. boo hoo. However, that said I have a new low mileage 2015 LTZ sitting in the driveway now. Just put Weathertech liners in her! Couldn't help myself. Remote start, 6 cylinder, sunroof, leather interior, backup camera does not detect all by itself.

Dang Smokey I got a 800 you can sell for me, but I want a 2015 Tacoma...:laughing9:

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The headphones are the minilabs that came with the detector. Just junk, you can't tell if they are on or off. I have an E-trac which is pretty good, but if you like rusty bottle caps and foil, then buy an Equinox. I paid a great deal of money for this detector. I am deeply disappointed.

I can agree with you about the fact that those teensy tiny LEDs are a bad idea, but if that's all it takes for you to write off an excellent metal detector than I don't know what to say.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Check all your connections. And NOBODY needs to really "learn" a new detector like in the old days. Use the factory presents, go slow and remember, if it's not there, you won't find it. Sometimes we find the gold mine, sometimes the mining shaft only. Familiarity with a detector is a good thing but if I didn't dig most "iffy" targets, with any machine I've ever had I would find nothing much at all. The 100 hour thing is for some folks, but you have to dig the iffy stuff. Our machines are now "computers on a stick", and if you trust the computer, you win. Going too fast, having a wide open swing and over tweaking a machine will lead to coming home with less. I dug twenty pieces of aluminum today before I hit a button and minie ball.
Smokey is so correct. I wasted so much time trying out all the new advanced settings and trying to tweak things. But what I accomplished was a highly detuned detector that would not find much of anything. Should have stuck in park or Field 1 and I would have been so much better off. I literally wasted many months thinking I should use all these advanced functions since I paid $800 for this detector. Truth is I really had no clue to what many of them were for because my prvious detector (AT Pro) did not have these features. If you don't believe me ask vferrari how lost I was in those early day.

PS Thanks vferrari and others who help educate me on the 800 and metal detecting in general. Without you guys, I would have sold everything and quit this great hobby. Came very close to quitting.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey is so correct. I wasted so much time trying out all the new advanced settings and trying to tweak things. But what I accomplished was a highly detuned detector that would not find much of anything. Should have stuck in park or Field 1 and I would have been so much better off. I literally wasted many months thinking I should use all these advanced functions since I paid $800 for this detector. Truth is I really had no clue to what many of them were for because my prvious detector (AT Pro) did not have these features. If you don't believe me ask vferrari how lost I was in those early day.

PS Thanks vferrari and others who help educate me on the 800 and metal detecting in general. Without you guys, I would have sold everything and quit this great hobby. Came very close to quitting.
Good job hanging in there!

ansehnlich1

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stumbled on this thread while troubleshooting my charging situation. My Nox 800 was on a charge all night and still blinking this morning. I'm thinking I may not have had it connected properly. I cleaned the contact points and have it back on charge....we'll see what it does.

Anyway, I thought I'd add what's popped up out of the ground the past week or so. I have a nice farm to hunt. All this lead was in an area about 25x50 yards.

It's a good detector. When I'm on a site like this one, I dig just about anything that sounds suspicious, including big iron. (chisels, blacksmith cutoff tools, busted horseshoes, railroad spikes, etc.)

Attachments

• 20211221_075623.jpg
    20211221_075623.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 85

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread