The Monarch butterfly

Mar 26, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doing a little thinking on the Monarch Butterfly, Seems every few years you get these stories of Bee and Butterfly declines. Don't doubt it. Just seems that they always blame pollution or loss of habitat.

What if it is something else?

From my experiences outdoors I noticed an interesting behavior in bees, I was digging some holes to plant some plants. Dug the holes, for the heck of it, filled the holes with water. Went inside for awhile, going to plant the next day. 2 hours later, I come out. There is a bunch of bees around. Going nuts for this fresh water in the holes. Why this water? swimming pools not too far, standing water in different areas.

Didn't think much of it. Next day I come out and they are building hives next to the dirty water holes. hmm.

They must need clean dirt to build hives.

Back to the Monarch, now they say the eskimos have a 100 words for snow. Now insects need water, Maybe it's the way the water is presented, that has changed. Butterflies mostly start being active in the late morning through sunset.

The lawn looks dry, Better turn the sprinklers on. Next thing I know butterflies start showing up.
Now what has changed the last 40 years, people don't water their lawns in the afternoon anymore. Most are set up for predawn watering. Now if your a butterfly are you going to risk going down to a lake or pond to cool off. Your going to get eaten by a big bass. I think it might be instinctive to be attracted to misting water, where they can find it.

Not only that there use to be a lot more fountains in cities and towns peoples backyards then there are today, they have been decreasing progressively for years. Most likely because of maintenance cost, and mosquito control.

Just thought it might be part of the reason for the decline.

I am not saying that you should leave your sprinklers on all day, or that everybody should change their timer settings.
Just a theory

Last edited:
OP
OP
H
Mar 26, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Monarch Butterfly Possible Solutions
Possible "somewhat economical" solutions

Repair all public fountains and make sure the operating at full potential along Monarch Butterfly migration territory (Are functioning between 10:00Am till Sundown) warm to hot weather
Add above water lake and pond aeration systems to as many lakes and ponds possible along Monarch butterfly route. It wouldn't have to be the expensive ones(although I would recommend one anyways) a simple solar powered fountain type would probably be enough. Should also help with algae control and help maintain a healthier fish population. At least 10:00Am till sundown. warm to hot weather

View attachment 1918643

https://www.solitudelakemanagement....know-about-lake-aeration-for-pond-management/

above water level aeration
I think placement of the aeration systems in larger lakes and ponds would be key, my guess is a monarch wouldn't fly out past 20 feet from shore to cool off. (one wrong move and they are fish food)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread