The mysterious death of Adolph Ruth

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning all: My father was a Mason and he once checked to see if Jacob Waltz was ever a Mason. Waltz was not. I do not know who my father wrote to in order to make the inquiry however there is a way to do those kinds of request. I would assume that the Masonic Order has records somewhere of all of its member going way back. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

HappyTrails55

Sep 30, 2005
Paso Robles
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
The reason I asked was that I have a Letter to my Grandmother, it's Dated July 11, 1927 from a Guy Hardy. I can't or will not show you the whole Letter cause it's part of My Research to a New Book I'm writing. "Ruth" is mentioned in this Letter. My Grandmother and another Woman, her Name is "Effie H. Harrop" (later on I find that she is Effie H. Harrop Lochman). My Grandmother and Her had a Gold Mine in the immediate area where Ruth was killed. I am definitely trying to find out EVERYTHING about Effie H. Harrop (Lochman). Any pieces of information would be greatly appreciated ! If you contribute to my book with any Info, I'll mention you in the book if you so desire. Believe me, I have all of the Mine Documents and other stuff, a small treasure trove. I may Hire a Private Investigator myself to find other Documents. Anyhow, the Name of the New Book is going to be like "Grandma's Gold Mine in the Superstition Mountains of Arizona". It will have all of the Documents and Old Photo's, a real book with a Real Publisher and I plan on it coming out about one year from now. Thanks, Darrell 101_5216.JPG 101_5217.JPG 101_5218.JPG 101_5219.JPG

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Darrell

In the year 1905 a skeleton of a woman was discovered in a cave at the south end of Black Mesa. There were not clothes or papers to make out the woman's identity, but beside her remains were some gold nuggets. Could that dead woman to has any relation with Effie H. Harrop?

HappyTrails55

Sep 30, 2005
Paso Robles
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
markmar, I don't know. There's a lot of things I don't know, it's interesting you mentioned that though. Effie was my grandmothers claim partner according to the documents. Sometime after it was filed, they both bought land in the Phoenix area called Sommerville Acres. Neither one of them found the mine, My Grandmother worked at the Indian School in Phoenix, a Apache Woman (as far as I know) took my Grandmother and showed her the mine, her name was Elizabeth. Where Effie fits in I don't know.

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason I asked was that I have a Letter to my Grandmother, it's Dated July 11, 1927 from a Guy Hardy. I can't or will not show you the whole Letter cause it's part of My Research to a New Book I'm writing. "Ruth" is mentioned in this Letter. My Grandmother and another Woman, her Name is "Effie H. Harrop" (later on I find that she is Effie H. Harrop Lochman). My Grandmother and Her had a Gold Mine in the immediate area where Ruth was killed. I am definitely trying to find out EVERYTHING about Effie H. Harrop (Lochman). Any pieces of information would be greatly appreciated ! If you contribute to my book with any Info, I'll mention you in the book if you so desire. Believe me, I have all of the Mine Documents and other stuff, a small treasure trove. I may Hire a Private Investigator myself to find other Documents. Anyhow, the Name of the New Book is going to be like "Grandma's Gold Mine in the Superstition Mountains of Arizona". It will have all of the Documents and Old Photo's, a real book with a Real Publisher and I plan on it coming out about one year from now. Thanks, Darrell View attachment 1699852 View attachment 1699853 View attachment 1699854 View attachment 1699855

Happy Trails,

I don't have any information about Effie Harrop / Lochman but believe I know who the man Guy Hardy was.

He was a retired RR agent who was known to prospect throughout central Arizona and held a few mining claims in Maricopa and Yavapai counties.

He apparently was from Riverside Iowa and came to Phoenix about 1919. He was 67 years old at his death and died on his claim at Camp Creek near Seven Springs in August of 1944. He had been dead for some time and when friends went to check on him found his body badly decomposed.

I strongly suspect this may be the Guy Hardy who wrote the letter.

Best,

Matthew Roberts

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
markmar, I don't know. There's a lot of things I don't know, it's interesting you mentioned that though. Effie was my grandmothers claim partner according to the documents. Sometime after it was filed, they both bought land in the Phoenix area called Sommerville Acres. Neither one of them found the mine, My Grandmother worked at the Indian School in Phoenix, a Apache Woman (as far as I know) took my Grandmother and showed her the mine, her name was Elizabeth. Where Effie fits in I don't know.

Happy Trails,

That's interesting what you said about your grandmother working at the Phoenix Indian school and buying property at Sommerville Acres.
having lived in Phoenix I know both areas well. The Indian School was located at the intersection of Central and Indian School road in Phoenix and the Sommerville Acres was just down Indian School Road to the east about a mile and a half. Sommerville Acres is no more but if you find old maps of the Phoenix historic districts you will find the original plat of Sommerville Acres.

Matthew

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darrell

What was the fate of your grandmother's mining claim?

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting family story, Darrell. Thank you to share it. For sure your grandmother had an intensive life full of emotions.
Now, after your new info about Jenkins and his chunk of ore, I believe the real story about that picnic is little different than that written in journals or books. They wanted just to ensure the mine has enough gold to be worth making a claim on it. I believe also how your grandmother never worked that mine but maybe she sold it to someone , maybe to Jenkins friend who was preparing to go together to the mine. Was his name Diaz?
From Jenkins picnic story and from his map, I can recognize of what mine are you talking about. See, in that region are not so many old Spanish/Mexican gold mines and a single clue or detail can points to one or to another.
My advice is to don't publish the accurate map of this mine because you will start an illegal gold rush which could ends with many bad results after a continous jump claiming process.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

After the thread's course, I tend to believe Effie was wife or girlfriend of Jenkins's friend/partner. Many miners/treasure hunters have filed claims in their wife's or girlfriend's name.
Was the name Ruth involved in Hardy's letter as been searching the range using Mexicans maps and could be a jump claimer on her mine?

HappyTrails55

Sep 30, 2005
Paso Robles
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
markmar….. I don't have alot of time this morning to answer, I always go to breakfast with my Mom on Sundays, she's 94 years old and looks forward to it, about the Maps, I will consider your thoughts carefully. Someone else Messaged me here but I screwed up and didn't get it, so please resend it. Thanks,

HappyTrails55

Sep 30, 2005
Paso Robles
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
I was advised to Edit the last post, welll I couldn't figure out how to partially edit some of it, so I deleted it all. The damage may have already been done but I'll be careful what I post from now on. But for those of you that saw it, anything I post is as true as I believe it is, I do not Lie, I never Lie, it may sound like a lie at first or a Tall Tale, but I can always back it up with facts and photographs and I'm not just talking about this thread, there's quite a few threads in different catagories. My first metal detector I bought was in 1957 when I was a newspaper boy. I've been a Prospector all of my life, also a Ex- Vet, Ex-Cowboy, Treasure Hunter, Amatuer Archie (Archaeologist) and the list goes on. My Grandmother's Story I grew up with and as soon as I got out of the service I wanted to go after it in Arizona, but Fate came along and interupted that with My Mountain Story of which you can view here in Treasure Legends under Aztec Gold, look for the thread "THE RETURN OF THE GIANT SERPENT" ( My Book) and lot's and lot's of pictures and on page 15 a YouTube Video by Terry Carter where he Interviews me. And My Book is also on Amazon Kindle as well and if you don't want to pay the $3.50 to read it, you can take a Sneek Peek of the beginning pages of it. Then you can scroll down the Forum page to Treasure Marks & Signs and look for my thread "Feather Sign & Animal Sign", I walked away from my mountain story and joined a group of friends, 7 of them, to File a Corporate Claim with them in the La Panza Mountains ( another area I also know quite well and is close to where I live), in 2011. Shortly afterwards I started finding Old Spanish Monuments, Mine Monuments and for 8 1/2 years in between the placer mining I was doing, found a Old Spanish Mine of which I am actively working now. I could write a book on this too, but I probably will just have to wait and see how long I live. Grandma's Book is the priority now. But I have to tell you, Salvador Delgadillo of the Lost Dutchman Treasure Hunters made me a little Humble recently at the 27th Annual Lost Dutchman Treasure Hunters Award Ceremony in Goldfield, Arizona, March 15th, 2019 when I got this award, which I never even knew about, let alone did I ever knew of their existence (see attachment). Kind of made me feel appreciative, something clicked inside of me after that and I decided then to write Grandma's Book for like Posterity, at least I could contribute to the Legends of the Superstitions in my own way. You can see the award ceremony on Terry Carter's YouTube Channel, he got one too., in fact he received mine there, he was shocked. I'm not to sure what to make out of the Bob Ward Story, though it's short, it's not exactly what Grandma told me. Bill could have been there before he died, the Apache Woman Friend "Elizabeth" might have taken them both initially to the mine. That's a question mark ???? What I do know is that Elizabeth brought a Basket to put gold ore into it and it was Immensely Rich. This Basket remains in the Family (see attachments) and it has been appraised by several authorities including on a thread here under the Category of North American Indian Relics, it's a Early 20th Century Apache Olla Trade or Tourist Basket. According to Grandma, they filled it to the brim. I know that Grandma went there 3 or 4 times, but she never actively mined it, life was busy with 2 kids and of course her job and it was a long ways from Phoenix to the Supers in a Model T Truck. 101_5290.JPG 101_5264.JPG 101_5265.JPG 101_5266.JPG 101_5274.JPG 101_5275.JPG 101_5279.JPG 101_5280.JPG 101_5283.JPG I think she would of sold her interest although she never alluded to it. And not only that, she kept everything pertaining to it. This Guy Hardy has something to do with all of this, I can feel it in my bones.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darrell

Can you tell us what was writing Guy in that letter about Ruth?

HappyTrails55

Sep 30, 2005
Paso Robles
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Marius, well I was out the door going to my mine this morning but the fog is so thick I elected to wait awhile. The whole letter is talking about Guy trying to come up with enough money for rent it sounds like and other renters and a little land speculation. Now I don't know this for a fact yet cause I haven't seen any paperwork Yet, but my other source said that indeed Effie Harrop and Gladys (my grandmother) had land in Sommerville Acres but did not specify if there were houses on it or not (apparently there was), Guy lived in one. Apparently Ruth had some connection with Arizona 4 years before he was killed ? Did he come out to Arizona early making contacts or what ? Is there anything written about him coming out prior to his fate ? Why would he be mentioned in this letter ? I heard that his son was a Cattle Inspector, is that True and where did he live ? Darrell

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marius, well I was out the door going to my mine this morning but the fog is so thick I elected to wait awhile. The whole letter is talking about Guy trying to come up with enough money for rent it sounds like and other renters and a little land speculation. Now I don't know this for a fact yet cause I haven't seen any paperwork Yet, but my other source said that indeed Effie Harrop and Gladys (my grandmother) had land in Sommerville Acres but did not specify if there were houses on it or not (apparently there was), Guy lived in one. Apparently Ruth had some connection with Arizona 4 years before he was killed ? Did he come out to Arizona early making contacts or what ? Is there anything written about him coming out prior to his fate ? Why would he be mentioned in this letter ? I heard that his son was a Cattle Inspector, is that True and where did he live ? Darrell

Darrell

I believe somewhere in this thread, Matthew Roberts mentioned how Adolpf Ruth went to the Superstitions few years before his death. Also at the beginning of this thread you will find all the info about Ruth family.
Now the question is: tried Ruth to contact your grandmother in regards the gold ore's provenance?

HappyTrails55

Sep 30, 2005
Paso Robles
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Marius....I'm on page 13 and have not found what I'm looking for yet. On page 35 Matthew Roberts believes Guy Hardy is a Rail Road Agent/ Prospector.....Erwin Ruth is a Cattle Inspector ? …..Cattle shipped by railroads, mmmm ? I'm a wondering if there is a connection here ?

HappyTrails55

Sep 30, 2005
Paso Robles
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Out of 11 pages of this Letter, I am going to release these. 5 of them I am purposely not, repeat NOT Releasing, then 2 more of them are Only Partials of which I purposely cut out. Not wanting to Damage the Letter in any way, I took the one's I thought were appropriate for release and had them colored copied at Staples then cut out the sections that pertain certain info. I don't know how else to protect my information and research while at the same time reveal the enigma this Letter offers. I think you can count this Guy Hardy in as a Friend and possible candidate in this circle of mystery. 101_5337.JPG 101_5338.JPG 101_5340.JPG 101_5342.JPG 101_5343.JPG 101_5344.JPG

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Matthew

Have a happy and prosperous new year. After a research in Adolph Ruth maps ( at least what were supposed to had with him in his last trip ), I came to the conclusion how Adolph Ruth was not looking for the LDM but for the Jesuit " treasures " in the Superstitions. The clues he had and which he tried to connect/mix with the Perfil mapa, show clearly his intent.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread