The Mystery of the Pre-Civil War State Militia Buckle

kyle369

Apr 18, 2014
Eastern Shore of MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two years ago, I found a US State Militia Panel Plate Belt Buckle that dates circa 1850-1865 in the yard of a 1910 home in Sudlersville, Maryland.

Here is the original thread I made all that time ago:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...-belt-panel-plate-cannot-believe-my-eyes.html

At the time, I was determined to find out who may have dropped this belt buckle, a 19th century militia relic where I least expected to find one, especially since all the other relics I've found at this site are appropriate to the age of the house!

This is how it looks now after a good cleaning:

DSCN7225 (2).JPG

DSCN7226 (2).JPG

Two years later, I still haven't come any closer to finding out who this buckle may have belonged to. The only clue I have is that the property was likely owned by a William Nickerson in 1877. If anyone on this site could direct me to an atlas of Queen Anne's County MD pre-Civil War, a list of Maryland state and local militias at the time, or any info about Sudlersville, MD and how it may have intersected with the Civil War, it would be most appreciated; I've been working on this mystery for over two years and could really use some help on that front.

Cheers, Kyle

PS: Moderators, If there's a more appropriate forum for me to direct this question to, feel free to move this thread there

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• Texas-Civil-War-Confederate-Two-piece-Panel-Belt-Plate.jpg
    Texas-Civil-War-Confederate-Two-piece-Panel-Belt-Plate.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Two years ago, I found a US State Militia Panel Plate Belt Buckle that dates circa 1850-1865 in the yard of a 1910 home in Sudlersville, Maryland.

Here is the original thread I made all that time ago:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...-belt-panel-plate-cannot-believe-my-eyes.html

At the time, I was determined to find out who may have dropped this belt buckle, a 19th century militia relic where I least expected to find one, especially since all the other relics I've found at this site are appropriate to the age of the house!

This is how it looks now after a good cleaning:

View attachment 1937545

View attachment 1937546

Two years later, I still haven't come any closer to finding out who this buckle may have belonged to. The only clue I have is that the property was likely owned by a William Nickerson in 1877. If anyone on this site could direct me to an atlas of Queen Anne's County MD pre-Civil War, a list of Maryland state and local militias at the time, or any info about Sudlersville, MD and how it may have intersected with the Civil War, it would be most appreciated; I've been working on this mystery for over two years and could really use some help on that front.

Cheers, Kyle

PS: Moderators, If there's a more appropriate forum for me to direct this question to, feel free to move this thread there
Is that not a Texas buckle they only issued 100 of, if it is, it is quite valuable.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's on a beautiful piece of Saved History on the belt plate. I was thinking perhaps a Texas plate too with the Lone middle star of maybe a plate representing the single star of the "Bonnie Blue Flag".'This plate I'm sure displays well in your collection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread