THE NEPTUNE

Jul 17, 2008
But a chest of gold items at today's prices...... more than 2 mil.

David Marteen's bones are somewhere in Connecticut. The gold is still here.

amgrunt 69

Jun 17, 2008
the marteen treasure is buried in connecticut, at least one of his caches is still where I discovered it about 15 years ago. I believe I also know the site of the main cache but Icannot verify if it is still there. suffice it to say, getting it out is a logistical nightmare. So one of these days soon, I"ll finish up the book I"m trying to write that tells about my 18 year off and on search.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the marteen treasure is buried in connecticut, at least one of his caches is still where I discovered it about 15 years ago. I believe I also know the site of the main cache but Icannot verify if it is still there. suffice it to say, getting it out is a logistical nightmare. So one of these days soon, I"ll finish up the book I"m trying to write that tells about my 18 year off and on search.
Did you did the location where you know where the treasures is?

Nice Person

Sep 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captain David Marteen supposedly buried a couple of chests of gold coin worth 20 million. That's about 30 tons at 1655 prices. Awful big chests. any professional opinions on this?

Yes, he did, but nobody knowns how much coins are worth in the ground.

M.Brian

Greenie
Mar 18, 2018
Connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have recently heard this legendary tale of Connecticut history and can't stop thinking about it. I grew up on the Connecticut river and always dreamed of what it would of been like to see sailing ships passing by. The story of a pirate ship making it this far up the river (windsor) sounds difficult to imagine. Does anyone have any maps, theories or ideas on where Marteens camp was? Locations of past digs? any advice at all? I am just getting started and have a lot of research ahead of me so any help would be greatly appreciated. I live up the road from this legendary myth so I am looking forward to spending some sweet summer days on the quest for this lost history. Thanks

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captain David Marteen supposedly buried a couple of chests of gold coin worth 20 million. That's about 30 tons at 1655 prices. Awful big chests. any professional opinions on this?
Who claims how much this treasure is worth without finding it?

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First location: Two caves with one chest gold coins, found by English couple with a map. The other cave still have the chest. The second location have five chests of gold coins and seven chests of silver coins. I had a copy over thirty years ago. Third location is the Mother Load. Good hunting and good luck.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am seeking rides to reach a contract with the owner of the property where the chests may be, and I have no car. I Pay for each trip. Been a treasure hunter since 1964. Thanks in advance. Read # 13.

Sam

amgrunt69

Feb 17, 2013
upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your description of the caches pretty much matches my research. I've spoken to you previously years ago. I too, believe I located the main cache and and the cache of 5 chests. The main cache might be retrievable with a contract, the 5 chests a lot more difficult. I had put it out of my mind due to those difficulties and life in general. Come Spring, if you are still looking, give me a holler, not doin much these days.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had know about this story since during the 60. I was given a very bad copy of the stones. For over 25 years, I had knew where one location is. The story stays that at this site, there is 5 chests of gold coins and 7 chests of silver, and some jewel. Read # 14. I need a driver and not another treasure hunting who wants equal share. I am sure that the owner will demand half. Good luck and good hunting.
I got back on this forum thinking there be more comments. I be 79 next month.

Kdrags830

Sep 4, 2022
Your description of the caches pretty much matches my research. I've spoken to you previously years ago. I too, believe I located the main cache and and the cache of 5 chests. The main cache might be retrievable with a contract, the 5 chests a lot more difficult. I had put it out of my mind due to those difficulties and life in general. Come Spring, if you are still looking, give me a holler, not doin much these days.
I've done a little research on this. The rabbit hole is deep lol but I am a dreamer and would love to hunt for this. I'm new to metal detecting and would love to find a spot to detect while looking for any reminisce of it. If you are ever looking to get out there again, Id love to join or anyone else that would be interested. Thanks!

Feb 27, 2023
Not sure what other folks have found out about this treasure BUT in a Scientific American article in 1868 it was reported that an A. D. Bank was paying three sets of men $3 per day ($60 in 2020 dollars) to dig toward a cave in Scitico CT on the banks of the Scantic River to locate gold in the amount of $5MM ($105MM in 2020) that had been buried there in a cave by a Spanish Pirate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread