The Newest Menace on Florida East Coast Beaches

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my humble opinion these should be restricted from use along Florida's public beaches. I've been harpooned by them a couple of times and I'm sure swimmers have emerged from the water with these same tiny and painful mystery wounds. It seems that I am finding more and more of them to the point that they have now become quite common, yesterday I recovered three of them, today I recovered two more. (Not only are they dangerous to swimmers but they are also a real pain in the butt to capture in your scoop, especially when working the deeper water.) Just this year alone I've already recovered a five gallon bucket full of them. I don't usually wear foot protection, but these little weighted harpoons may be the cause of my changing that soon. Some of these body piercings measure over 3" long.

menace.jpg

Upvote 0

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all that is going on nowdays, maybe we do need the government to regulate our fishing weights. Perhaps a database should be created for buyers of 00 treble hooks because they really do look alot scarier than a barbless perch hook. Who really needs a seven foot fishing rod anyway. Snoopy fishing rods should work fine. Yes we need some reporters, lawyers and politician to get involved and you know what, metal detectors mess up my tv reception ( or so someone thinks) maybe we should find a reporter.

Ok, I feel better now....

I would prefer a little common sense/care and concern for others, which obviously is uncommon.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You people blow your foots off and don't even know it. Do you really think the police have a grand cognizence of the complainers call and identity over potential offenders?

No, you just kick a beehive. And guess what the easiest solution is. The responding officers, when looking into this...are more likely to eliminate the problem the easy way...and through YOU and every other detector off the beach...and dust off their hands.

There is no moron out there wasting hundreds of dollars of fishing equipment out there to frustrate a guy metal detecting. You people and the "call the cops some one pissed me off while I was metal detecting" are your own flippin worst enemys!

To me those look like a pathetic attempt to disguise something to keep people off the beaches as a fishing lure. If you only found a few I would say someone was trying to design a new fishing lure, but with the amount you have found, I would be contacting the local authorities, especially if you get harpooned again.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, this thread sure turned to extremes at both ends. Cops, government, lawsuits & lawyers, all of it paving the way to the banning of fishing and metal detecting. I'm sensing a lot of stress out there. :laughing7:

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Garrett AT Gold...............
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT - AKA The Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would prefer a little common sense/care and concern for others, which obviously is uncommon.

The sarcasim in my last post should be obvious, but JOEB1999 gets it. There are a lot more fishermen than there are detectorist, so the battle will not be won.

Most of you here could detect circles around me, and I respect that, but implying I do not have common sense/care and concern for others because I know fishing weights are not lost on purpose, is silly. To qoute my earlier post -

With all due respect to all, if you fish surrounded by swimmers , you are an idiot. If you are surf fishing for sharks and a group shows up and starts swimming around your deployed fishing rig, they are idiots. If you purposely lose expensive fishing weights, you are an idiot. Using your logic that fishing gear should not be used because it could get lost, we should stop using fishing hooks.

Just collect them like you would if it was other hazardous metal and know you are being a good detectorist.

Best of luck, and be safe.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We all know there are THINGS in the water we dig up that raise an eyebrow.... and we say if people only knew. BUT i see the problem coming in that we toss them right back in the drink. It does kind of bother me seeing fishermen ON the beach when there are clearly signs that say no fishing on the beach and the police with their 4 wheelers just pass them by for a better look at that bikini. Designated swimming areas are off limits to fishermen for obvious common sense reasons. However.... i do have to give lifeguards credit.... while they are there they do come out and ask them to move. But before and after.... i guess the beach parking lot is just easy access and to far to walk beyond the swimming area.

Dew

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is commonplace on my area beaches to see swimmers, surfers, and surf fishermen all using the same acre or two of beach at the same time. :laughing7: But I do have to give them all credit...as crazy as it appears, and with all the surf and current pushing everyone and everything around, it all seems to go pretty smoothly with few incidents or encounters.

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
tip: approach any fisherman and offer him to buy those things, you will be surprised at their enthusiasm.

matrix master DBA

Jan 29, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt Pro + Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way I see it its not about metal detecting or detectorist. Its about public safety! Just my 2¢

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Garrett AT Gold...............
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT - AKA The Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps here in Texas we have more coastline and room to spread out more, but I would approach the problem on an individual basis. If my kids were swimming and a fisherman showed up and started slinging hooks and weights very close, I would let them know I expect them to operate at a safe distance. If I were fishing and a group shows up and starts swimming too close, I would slightly relocate" After giving them the your stupid look".

hunterray2002

Jan 15, 2011
Pa. Fl.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Whites, Detectorpro, Fisher, Garrett.
Primary Interest:
I've hunted the Florida beaches. Mostly. Deerfield, Pompano, Hollywood and Delray. I have found them while hunting. Only thing the bothers me about them is that I find them with the detector before my little one finds them with her bare foot. Thats about all you can really do is gather them up . sell them on ebay or to local fishing shops and try and be careful with the bare feet. Scarey stuff.

fishingdevil

May 1, 2013
Next to the sea
Primary Interest:
Didn't want to post initially but I thought it best to share this info with those who thought these sinkers were meant to be sacrificed.

Source: http://www.fishingmag.co.nz/Breakaway-sinker.htm

Breakaway Surfcasting Sinkers

The breakaway sinker, I believe, first originated in England . The idea was to produce a sinker that would cast a long way, and hold firm on the bottom using wires that would release when a fish hit or the angler decides to reel it in. It is a design that is much copied and often modified with slightly different shapes, longer tines, longer tail wires, and the addition of plastic over the wires to help them roll off the lead better.

A useful trick when you want a little extra grip from your breakaway style sinker is to wrap a rubber band around it to hold the wires in the set position for longer. It then requires more pressure to break the wires free.

The sinker shown above is a long tail version. This has better anchoring ability as the tail acts like an anchor chain forcing the wires to dig in better.

I must say the breakaway is my favourite surfcasting sinker. It has the two most important qualities needed: it flies well when cast, and it holds firm on the bottom.

For surfcasting it is most important that you use the correct weight of sinker for the rod blank you are fishing. This is usually stamped on the side of the rod. Usually there is a weight range something like 100 to 150g. It is best to use a sinker that is at the top of this range for maximum casting distance and bottom holding grip. In my opinion you need a rod designed to cast at least 200g for serious surfcasting. Any thing lighter is really only a toy!

Many will have tried surfcasting over the years with mixed results. Perhaps you caught a couple of small ones! Perhaps you got a dose of sunburn but didn’t even catch a single fish. While that guy just up the beach has been hauling them in all day! Don’t worry; we have all been there. Some anglers seem to catch good fish consistently while others appear to be wasting their time? The reason for this can be summed up in one word: knowledge!

As a member of several fished clubs I have enjoyed many club and inter-club surfcasting competitions stretching back several decades to beaches all over New Zealand’s South Island. One thing I've noticed is that many of these events are won by a surprisingly small and select group of anglers. Even if they don't win outright they often finish in the top ten! Why? Knowledge!

Why is it that given the large numbers taking part just a few fishermen can so often catch not only the most fish, but also the heaviest of the day as well? Believe me its true. I have seen it happen many times. It isn't just down to luck. These guys know what they are doing. They are using the knowledge they have gained over a lifetime spent fishing! Perhaps most importantly they are good at putting everything they know together to get the best results every time!.

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know you all want these gone, but you might as well take advantage of the situation as long as it exists. Especially if you have filled a 5 gallon bucket up with them.

[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://m.ebay.com/search?kw=Sputnik+sinker&isNewKw=1&so=12&pgn=1&epp=24&fads=1&mfs=GOCLK&acimp=0[/FONT]

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's really a pretty clever concept....just too bad they didn't think to curl the ends of those wires.

fishingdevil

May 1, 2013
Next to the sea
Primary Interest:
It's really a pretty clever concept....just too bad they didn't think to curl the ends of those wires.

Usually, these sinkers (those lost) will only be lodged or stuck in very rocky areas far out into the sea and should not pose a problem for inshore users... But there are definitely "black sheep" in every sport

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually, these sinkers (those lost) will only be lodged or stuck in very rocky areas far out into the sea and should not pose a problem for inshore users... But there are definitely "black sheep" in every sport

At high tide here these are cast into what will be the swimming areas during low tide.....just miles and miles of sand on our beaches here. Apparently these things have become very popular here as it's becoming a rare day when I don't find at least one. Don't find quite as many now with all the deep summer sand covering the beach but once that sand starts getting stripped they're everywhere.

fishingdevil

May 1, 2013
Next to the sea
Primary Interest:
At high tide here these are cast into what will be the swimming areas during low tide.....just miles and miles of sand on our beaches here. Apparently these things have become very popular here as it's becoming a rare day when I don't find at least one. Don't find quite as many now with all the deep summer sand covering the beach but once that sand starts getting stripped they're everywhere.

Oh... I see the issue now. Your beaches are way too long. :)
Honestly, smart fisherman will not want/need to cast into those flats with these type of sinkers. These are best beyond the low tide line and into the drop-offs... Where the big fish are located

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It cracks me up.... they are always PMing about detectorists and the holes they leave...we are the ONLY ones who leave the beach cleaner when we leave than when we got there......finding these in the sand should be enough reason to allow us open access to any beach we want to hunt. We are doing more good than harm.

fishingdevil

May 1, 2013
Next to the sea
Primary Interest:
It cracks me up.... they are always PMing about detectorists and the holes they leave...we are the ONLY ones who leave the beach cleaner when we leave than when we got there......finding these in the sand should be enough reason to allow us open access to any beach we want to hunt. We are doing more good than harm.

Definitely agree for beach hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread