The news that left me with new hope

Lizard-Prince

Jun 5, 2008
Bayamon P.R.
Detector(s) used
DFX,BH ID,5000s2,AT Max,MX Sport,Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would like to thanks to all who answered my post "Heart broken" I have decided this title should carry a similar one sort of. Today I got the news that put a smile on my face. I knew sadness could not last forever in my e-mail was the message that whites products will be reborn in the wonderful care of Garrett! Yet I am still wondering a few thing is about this my questions would be...
1- Will Whites detectors be built in Sweet Home factory under Garrett's care or at Garland factory?
2- If so what will happen to Oregon's White's branches even the one in Inverness?
3- What do you believe will happen if the Garretts will pick off where production stopped off?
4- Will the dealers be the same as before as well as the employers of Sweet home? I certainly would like Holly back at repair department .
5- Will we be seeing an improved V3i? These and many more questions are in my mind but one thing is for sure... The magic has returned and I hope to last forever!!:hello2:

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't answer all your questions, but the info I got on another forum said that the purchase does not include any of the White's properties either in Oregon or in Scotland. Other than that it will be wait and see. Also, I received and e-mail from White's (I've been on their e-mail list for several years) yesterday announcing the sale, but no other details.

P.S>The other information also said that any White's detectors that needed repair were to be sent to Garretts to be repaired, and gave and address in Texas. I'll try to find it and post it here.

Okay I was wrong about the location for repairs, one is in Virginia and another in Oregon. Here they are:

Centerville Electronics
9437 Main Street
Manassas, VA 20110
(888) 645-0202
centervilleelectronics.net

&

Centerville Electronics NW
1550 Maple Place
Lebanon, OR 97355
(541) 409-7263
centervilleelectronicsnw.com

Last edited:

roccus

Jun 2, 2016
Maine
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me it is a bit troubling Garrett has been silent on what the plans for whites detectors is. The least they could do is let us know weather we know own boat ankers that will no longer be supported, ie. parts will no longer be reproduced to repair them, go try to find a new rechargable battery pack, every place is "Out of Stock". I don't figure Garrett bought whites out with no plan. Yes we have been directed to a couple service locations, but once the parts run out, or if your detector needs a part that is out of stock, is that the end, toss your detector in the trash? I wonder what happened to all the parts inventory whites had in their OR plant?

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll try and buy another MXTpro just in case and might find one cheap if everyone panics. HH

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry but i have very little hope. Just found out today Whites was sold to Garrett!. I've always considered Garrett an inferior product and was shocked by this buyout. Garret has done an excellent marketing job but they were the last to bring auto ground balance, target ID numbers and still cannot discriminate based on the target ID(at least to my knowledge). Simply cannot believe it! The only area that white's looked to be behind the 8 ball on was in water detection and i've said that for years. Their BHID sucked(even though I found my most valuable ring with it). I've owned 2 Garrett machines and was glad to be rid of both of them. They do make a multi freq unit that is priced attractively but i will wait for the reviews. The best thing they ever made was their pinpointers. White's site is now forwarded to Garretts so good luck if yopu think they are going to continue the Whites lineup. What a sad sad day for metal detecting. This should be a marketing thesis for a college student. Garrett really took off with that POS Ace 250 and skyrocketted when their machines were used on that lame metal detecting TV show. sorry for the rant but am truly shocked by this.
BONE(angry)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett was the only company interested in buying Whites, no company was interested in buying Tesoro.

Last edited:

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i understand that they may have been the ONLY ones interested in buying the company but what a loss. I personally feel that whites was the gold standard of american metal detectors. I loved the vdi numbers whites established. i just bought a minelab vanquish and it gets great depth, is light, handle target seperation just fine is and attractively priced...BUT their vdi's basically go from 0 to 40 where whites went from 0 to 100(not counting negative VDI). the difference is astounding in the field. I pretty much KNEW what i was digging with the whites...the minelab vdi's are so close together you cannot get a good grasp on what you are digging. Besides that am really pissed Garrett bought whites....their machines just never did anything for me....must have been their commercial detectors and security offerings that carried the company.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread