The OBAMA rally continues - another record for the dow!!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But The Keynesian's say this is really an indicator of super good times coming,, right after they bailout Stockton Ca. Maybe Detroit,, and countless other strongholds of brilliance.

Hey Dave, keep going - why stop there? If there are "countless other strongholds of brilliance", will you be happy if ALL of America goes bankrupt?

OP
OP
0121stockpicker

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are totally right, gambling on the S&P 22 more pt's and I'm out. Maybe 15.

Don't sell out too soon all this cheap money sloshing around can create another bubble that you want to ride. So many folks completely out of the market we got plenty of dry powder to keep rally going. We actually do not want the economy to get too strong because that would mean the fed would have to start tightening.

Last edited:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dave, keep going - why stop there? If there are "countless other strongholds of brilliance", will you be happy if ALL of America goes bankrupt?
Oh I didn't say that,, but you guys are trying to engineer it for some reason.

Maybe this is it?
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." — Friedrich Nietzsche
Your faith is in a new type of truth, where you substitute knowledge for academia and theory.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another all time high for the Dow.
I just wish somebody would explain to me exactly which of Obama's ideas have caused the market to go up (since we are apparently calling it an Obama rally)
Jim

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I didn't say that,, but you guys are trying to engineer it for some reason.

Maybe this is it?
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." — Friedrich Nietzsche
Your faith is in a new type of truth, where you substitute knowledge for academia and theory.

Us guys are trying to engineer it? Oh, please. You were rolling around in other's misery. Reread your post please. Secondly, who are "us guys"? Me and Stockpicker? Me and Obama? (that's a good one) :laughing7:

The Big Money Boys and their lackeys have been trying to dive us into Depression for a long time now (ever since they brought down the world's economy), and Obama has been thwarting their efforts at chaos. That's why they are so mad and hate the President. Why the average Joe thinks chaos is good for him is way beyond me - and we're all average Joes. Remember - the first Rule of Ruling is not to share. And they won't. You are with us, like it or not.

I have no idea how you can take Nietzsche's quote and accuse me of faith in anything, much less in some sort of vague "academia and theory". I don't think I'm the one afflicted by Blind Faith. And I certainly don't elevate faith to knowledge.

Last edited:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The Big Money Boys and their lackeys have been trying to dive us into Depression for a long time now (ever since they brought down the world's economy), and Obama has been thwarting their efforts at chaos."

LOLOL Big O is the definition of entropy!?? LOOLOL

Obama on Occupy Wall Street: 'We Are on Their Side' | The Weekly Standard
In case you didn't realize it,, these folks are not for a cohesive takedown of the system.

Do you think any of these boys are "the big boys"?

bcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/07/wall-street-elites-open-wallets-for-obama-dnc/

Like it or not, You are one of Us. I know it is hard to understand, but you are not someone the administration cares about. Except in a collectivist "derive power from the masses by standing on them" sort of way.
"Remember - the first Rule of Ruling is not to share."

OP
OP
0121stockpicker

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just wish somebody would explain to me exactly which of Obama's ideas have caused the market to go up (since we are apparently calling it an Obama rally)
Jim

Just like we are blaming Obama for all the problems now - right? Which is it going to be - your choice. He gets credit for the good and the bad or he has noting to do with the good and the bad.

Oh let me guess. Anything good has nothing to do with him and all the bad things are directly related to his very existence??

Just let me know what option you want.

OP
OP
0121stockpicker

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another record high today. This is actually one if the most robust rallies of all time.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The Big Money Boys and their lackeys have been trying to dive us into Depression for a long time now (ever since they brought down the world's economy), and Obama has been thwarting their efforts at chaos."

LOLOL Big O is the definition of entropy!?? LOOLOL

Obama on Occupy Wall Street: 'We Are on Their Side' | The Weekly Standard
In case you didn't realize it,, these folks are not for a cohesive takedown of the system.

Do you think any of these boys are "the big boys"?

bcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/07/wall-street-elites-open-wallets-for-obama-dnc/

Like it or not, You are one of Us. I know it is hard to understand, but you are not someone the administration cares about. Except in a collectivist "derive power from the masses by standing on them" sort of way.
"Remember - the first Rule of Ruling is not to share."

from your link: (Didn't expect me to read it, did you?)
“The most important thing we can do right now is those of us in leadership letting people know that we understand their struggles and we are on their side, and that we want to set up a system in which hard work, responsibility, doing what you’re supposed to do, is rewarded,” Obama tells ABC News. “And that people who are irresponsible, who are reckless, who don’t feel a sense of obligation to their communities and their companies and their workers that those folks aren’t rewarded.”

The president also compares the protesters to the Tea Party. “In some ways, they’re not that different from some of the protests that we saw coming from the Tea Party," Obama says. "Both on the left and the right, I think people feel separated from their government. They feel that their institutions aren’t looking out for them.”

Nice try Dave - I been watching Faux News. The Republican party isn't funded by the granny down the street. It's funded by Big Money. The Big Boys don't want an "economy". In fact, I don't even think they understand what one is, except Feudalism.

Like George Carlin said, "It's a Big Club, and you ain't in it." You and I are not players; in fact we're nothing but chicken bedding.

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just like we are blaming Obama for all the problems now - right? Which is it going to be - your choice. He gets credit for the good and the bad or he has noting to do with the good and the bad.

Oh let me guess. Anything good has nothing to do with him and all the bad things are directly related to his very existence??

Just let me know what option you want.
Instead of the smokescreen, just answer the question....which of his policies caused the market to go up? Shouldn't be too difficult.
Jim

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Instead of the smokescreen, just answer the question....which of his policies caused the market to go up? Shouldn't be too difficult.
Jim

Even I can answer that one; keeping us from going over the First Cliff.

And then subsequent efforts to keep us from financial disaster.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What is the unemployment rate and SNAP (food stamps) now compared to when O took office?...... How many Americans have just given up even looking for a job and taken early SS retirement to have something to eat locking them in a lower rates..........

In January 2009 Unemployment was 7.8%, in March 2013 it was 7.6%, a total drop of .2 % since O took office...
On December 31, 2008 number of Americans on Food Stamps was 31,784,453 as of 12/31/2012 it was 46,449,850 people, an increase of over 68%

Oh yeah, happy days are here alright.........................NOT....:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Coming through the worst economic downturn since the Great depression and we expected, what? That numbers of those needing assitance would decrease?

The unemployment numbers shown, while correct, leave out the real story, that the rate topped out at 10% and has been trending in the right direction ever since. Too slowly, which is why the Fed, this week, has yet again decided to leave rates where they are.

Citing Obama's term in office as time benchmarks is curious as he had nothing to do with the economic downturn that increased the unemployment rate and caused more people to turn to federal assitance. People just want to blame Obama.

The economic downturn started before Obama came into office. He didn't cause it. To be fair, neither did the the previous administration, though they left a pretty good finger print. As for the government's hand in the meltdown, the downturn was caused over a period of several adminstrations creating and backing poor policy. Years of you don't know what you dont know culminating in a perfect economic storm.

That unemployment numbers have reduced so slowly has led to the Fed's current cheap money policy, which in turn has fed the stock market. Market is fairly valued, S&P above 15 with $110 in expected earnings giving us a forward PE in the 14s. Looks good. Well, until nxt week when the real numbers come in. As earnings season gets rolling over the nxt week or two we will see if we are on target or overly optimistic.

Last edited:

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Jim

Presidents rarely have an affect on the markets. At least from a macro POV. Certainly, from a micro POV they can affect the short term. For instance, if the prez throws up on the leader of another country. You know, stuff like that can have a short term affect. At least until we know if dry cleaning will take the stains out.

As for this being an Obama rally? Well, if people who don't like Obama can blame him for things he has nothing to do with, like economic meltdowns started before he came to office, massive unemployment caused by that meltdown, and thousands needing help feeding their families because of that meltdown, which he did not cause, then i guess there is nothing wrong with giving him credit for something positive happening out there. Though he had nothing to do with that either.

So we are equal opportunity wrong headed finger pointers! We blame you for stuff you didn't do and give you credit for help you did not render!!!!

It's only fair! And, say what you will about us, we are a fair people!

Last edited:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coming through the worst economic downturn since the Great depression and we expected, what? That numbers of those needing assitance would decrease?

The unemployment numbers shown, while correct, leave out the real story, that the rate topped out at 10% and has been trending in the right direction ever since. Too slowly, which is why the Fed, this week, has yet again decided to leave rates where they are.

Citing Obama's term in office as time benchmarks is curious as he had nothing to do with the economic downturn that increased the unemployment rate and caused more people to turn to federal assitance. People just want to blame Obama.

The economic downturn started before Obama came into office. He didn't cause it. To be fair, neither did the the previous administration, though they left a pretty good finger print. As for the government's hand in the meltdown, the downturn was caused over a period of several adminstrations creating and backing poor policy. Years of you don't know what you dont know culminating in a perfect economic storm.

That unemployment numbers have reduced so slowly has led to the Fed's current cheap money policy, which in turn has fed the stock market. Market is fairly valued, S&P above 15 with $110 in expected earnings giving us a forward PE in the 14s. Looks good. Well, until nxt week when the real numbers come in. As earnings season gets rolling over the nxt week or two we will see if we are on target or overly optimistic.

I agree, NF. Nicely done, in fact.

I gotta make it clear; I don't like the present economic policies. It's better than chaos though.

There was a time during the crash I still remember when NO ONE was sure that ANYTHING had value enough to be a standard of exchange - whether it be money, commodities, food, or whatever. My best friend is a 4.0 MBA and savvy dude, and we had lots of scary conversations about that. We were on the very precipice of massive social and economic disruption, and if one of says he's OK with that, you can't begin to understand the enormity of our predicament. A popgun collection in a buried school bus would avail you not the slightest. Done. Over.

I watch Faux News mostly, and during Bush's administration, there was NOT ONE WORD about the increasing deficit. It seemed that it was me alone that didn't like it, but I'm sure there were others. The difference is that then (and during the Reagan years), there was no good reason to do it, except to dishonestly pump up the bottom line on major campaign contributors. Then the Credit Default Swap disaster and tens of trillions of dollars GONE. Now it is forced on us for our very survival. And we aren't out of the woods yet. We have some serious structural problems: the debt, a broken political system, and a lack of respect for our fellow Americans. Until that's fixed, we are still at risk, and with the last two, needlessly so. That makes it an IQ test, and we're flunking.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
We came incredibly close to capsizing the entire economy in the Fall of 2008. I'm on the front lines, so to speak. My biz, primarily, is buying and selling Tax Free Bonds. At least that's largest part of what I do. In Sept of 2008 the markets just locked up. No trading! The markets just froze!!! Scary does't even touch it. I along with all my peers realized unless something changed, and changed fast, life as we knew it was over. All of us pulled our cash from the banks. Get the cash out while we still could because the real money, the invested money, was gone or soon would be if this didn't resolve. TARP saved our butts.

Today, there are many people who say that we weren't in danger or that those dangers were over exaggerated. When I hear this it like listening to someone tell me i didn't see a car crash that happened right before my eyes. I was right there, had a front row seat. I know exactly what i saw. I know how bad it really was. And, i knew what the consequences were going to be. Economic armageddon!!

Much of what I experienced and the reality of the situation is expressed quite accurately in the book "Too Big to Fail."

Last edited:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of us pulled our cash from the banks. Get the cash out while we still could because the real money, the invested money, was gone or soon would be if this didn't resolve. TARP saved our butts.

I agree.

The only reason that your funny green paper with the All Seeing Eye on the back would have been worth anything is that some people could still be conned into believing it still had any value. Not for long though.

Economic armageddon!!

Social Armageddon as well. And I mean beyond most imaginations. Total meltdown was not out of the picture.

It would have been interesting if we had a camera on an alternate universe (so we wouldn't have had to be there) that had elected John McCain, just to see what he'd have done. Talk's cheap, but like Harry Truman said once about the Presidency, "The buck stops here."

My guess is that we'd still be reeling; - IF he'd had the good sense to recognize disaster when it stared him in the face. Ideology is an expensive luxury.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Earning season is done and now we turn focus to the economy as the day to day driver of the markets. We managed to get thru earnings season without too many surprises. Roughly 70% of companies reported profits at or above expectations. Many missed on revenues. With economic news now in the forefront expect volatility based on just how the tea leaves are read from one report to the next.

I'm a net buyer of the market at this level. Not that that means anything- I've been wrong before. But i put my money where my mouth is - I like the stock market.

Being a bond guy though it's a tough time right now. Record low rates - artifically held low to drive the economy leading to record high bond prices makes the bond market a scary place right now. Caution and alternatives are the watch words right now.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even I can answer that one; keeping us from going over the First Cliff.

And then subsequent efforts to keep us from financial disaster.

Bum.. was it really the pres that bailed out the first one? I don't think that holds water. But then he actually has done nothing but issue propaganda to prop up the markets.
And yes,, I was horror struck at the amount Bush was spending. I am completely mortified at the gas pedal being stuck now!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread