The Oldest Dog License Tag I've Ever Seen Dug??

GavinoGambino

Oct 14, 2014
Twin Cities
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to a "hunted out" spot of mine yesterday to test out my new coil and I got a faint choppy signal, deep. Dug down and pulled out this disk at 9 inches. I was shocked when I realized what I was looking at because I know IVE never seen anyone dig a dog license tag this old before. Plus, this license was issued only 18 years after Minnesota had become a state so this is am oldie for my area. I'm sure people have dug older, but I just love this relic so i thought id share.

The disk is about the size of a half dollar with a dogs head embossed in the middle. Around the outside it has lettering reading: "DOG LICENSE NO. 436 (436 is hand stamped) ST PAUL, MINN" And then below the dogs head, 1876 is hand stamped.

HH,

Gavin

IMG_4010.JPG

Upvote 57

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one great old Dog License tag. Congrats on a very nice piece.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At 9" deep I have to wonder if it came from a hastily dug grave from way back then.

OP
OP
GavinoGambino

GavinoGambino

Oct 14, 2014
Twin Cities
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At 9" deep I have to wonder if it came from a hastily dug grave from way back then.

Thats what some of my co-workers thought when i showed them. I dont think so however because i should have hit bones if that were the case

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, That is a great find. Congrats:icon_thumright:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
odd coins will trade silver coins for it theres a collector for almost everything

OP
OP
GavinoGambino

GavinoGambino

Oct 14, 2014
Twin Cities
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I did some research on this and found some info that makes this find even more cool (in my mind at least).

I contacted the Minnesota Historical Society and the Ramsey County Historical Society to see if they still had the Dog license registration lists from 1876, to see if we could find out what this dogs name was and who owned it. They both came back saying that they did not have those files for 1876. But the MHS did give me a link to the digital archives for St.Paul newspapers and told me i could probably find info searching through them. I searched the term, "Dog License" and the oldest reference of the term they had dated back to 1878 (dang). No quite the exact year i was looking for, but close.

Until i noticed there was 1 hit prior to 1878 and it was from the St. Paul newspaper in 1865: View attachment 1628880 - DOG LICENSES- "The time for procuring dog licenses expired yesterday and less than a dozen have been issued by the city clerk. The city is overrun with dogs, and as a result of this neglect we hope to see a powerful thinning out. Let every unlicensed dog be killed and the city will be relieved of a great nuisance"

Pretty wild, huh?
I found out that 1865 was the first year the city issued dog licenses as a result of complaints from citizens that the large amount of wild dogs were killing many of their sheep, they passed this law forcing dog owners to buy an annual dog license for $5 per individual. All unlicensed dogs were to be killed by any willing citizen with a $.50 reward given for every carcass.

That being said, I looked at the 1878 article that mentioned "dog license" and this is what it said: View attachment 1628883

Haha these guys were not messing around back then. Not surprisingly, 1878 saw about 5,000 licenses issued for that year compared to the less than 12, thirteen years prior. Seems like the people learned pretty quickly that the city meant business :laughing9:

So, this dog tag i found definitely belonged to an owner who cared about their dog and did not want to see it killed for a bounty.

I love this hobby!

HH

-Gavin

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats really cool yeah I love this hobby too

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a sweet find, I love those old dog tags, congratulations :icon_thumright:

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's the oldest one I've seen so far. You have a real good find there! There is a guy who wrote a published book on dog tag collecting, his name is Bill Bone. A couple of years ago I dug up a S.F. 1881 dog tag out of a San Francisco park.

I got into contact with the guy who wrote the book and he offered me $250.00 for my 1881 dog tag. So you have a real collectible item there. I believe the oldest US dog tag known to exist comes from the early 1870's. Nice Find!

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly a neat find and the detail is amazing. Congratulations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions