Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tnet family, just doing my thing to keep this ole corn-virus at arms length, I met my hunting buddy Randy at a 200 acre farm that we’ve hunted just a few times prior. The landowner is an awesome lady, and while we normally love to stop at her porch and chat on the way back to the fields, we settled for a curt wave from the window! The (known) history of this property goes back to the late 1700’s, per the landowner. There was a log cabin at one time but we haven’t been able to locate the footprint yet. Past finds from here include: several Large cents, Indians, one Barber quarter, a brass ring, an 1830 Capped Bust dime and an 1834 Capped Bust half dime. The day’s finds were meager, yet interesting... Randy pulled a nice (for a field copper) 1852 Largie (sorry no pic of it he forgot to send them to me), and my VERY first target was the brass tap/spigot thingamajob, then things slowed down for a bit. The clay marble was actually a surface find, how do I see that small dirt-colored ball laying in the dirt!? After digging PILES of scrap brass bits, lead, butchered aluminum, shotgun shells and melted aluminum, I finally got a clear and steady 83-84 from all directions. When I pulled this... what I first thought to be a silver button. Quick cleaning revealed the reeded edges... WOW... two silver dimes melted together!! And yes.. it is killing me not knowing what series they are... Roosevelt? Winged Liberty? Barber, Seated, Capped Bust?! These were found within 25 yards of where the two only other dimes were found, both CB. I haven’t made any attempt at cleaning or even possibly separating them. Anybody here have an inkling of what they are? If I should TRY to separate them? They’re pretty toast from being burnt but I’m at odds at what to do with them. Thanks very much for looking, everybody please be safe!! Ddf Scotty.

Attachments

• BD5DA56D-7AB1-4C8B-B3C3-A0260DF2B80A.png
    BD5DA56D-7AB1-4C8B-B3C3-A0260DF2B80A.png
    411.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 2BD0FE76-4962-4B8E-8E75-8A2093297FCD.png
    2BD0FE76-4962-4B8E-8E75-8A2093297FCD.png
    547.4 KB · Views: 106
  • BEDE37F3-6BA2-4D68-BD23-5168CAFA236B.jpeg
    BEDE37F3-6BA2-4D68-BD23-5168CAFA236B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 95
  • BA9D994C-E39A-4A8C-8EA8-868E400120AD.png
    BA9D994C-E39A-4A8C-8EA8-868E400120AD.png
    548.6 KB · Views: 86
  • C8BCE093-9594-49D3-9C78-C89481946F76.png
    C8BCE093-9594-49D3-9C78-C89481946F76.png
    632.5 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 17

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well! That do look like quite a walk! VERY interesting dual coin too! I don't think I'd try to separate. They'd make a wonderful display item! Maybe a lil clean up & mounting of some sort.

Doesn't really matter what they actually are, they're pretty neat!

One thing you might could try is to compare the weight of it to two other dimes. Try different kinds, like 2 mercs, 2 barbers, etc. Might not be exact but might give a hint.

Your spigot thing looks like a gas thing.

Good job on getting out.

Stay safe!

Last edited:
OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Whadi... yes I thought about weighing and measuring older dimes, I have plenty of each to compare with. I thought if I stared at it long enough, that I would be able to make out a shape... but after 5 minutes my eyes went crossed and I got a headache.

Okay that’s one vote for divorcing these two!!
Thx Whadi.., Ddf .

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably great detail on both coins on the inside...split em up!

Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably great detail on both coins on the inside...split em up!

For the sake of the poster, my guess is the insides are just as melted if not worse. I vote keep em together!

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leave em together..

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool display piece!!! Congrats!!!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Whadi... yes I thought about weighing and measuring older dimes, I have plenty of each to compare with. I thought if I stared at it long enough, that I would be able to make out a shape... but after 5 minutes my eyes went crossed and I got a headache.

Okay that’s one vote for divorcing these two!!
Thx Whadi.., Ddf .

Something to consider. Do a silver test? Make sure they're not just counterfeits? :icon_scratch:

If they are dimes and truly melted together by fire, they probably won't come apart. Even if they do...might not be worth the effort.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something to consider. Do a silver test? Make sure they're not just counterfeits? :icon_scratch:

Good thought Whadi, however I do not have any precious metals test kits... but the feel, the look, weight are spot on. The “blistered” texture is identical to a silver Washington quarter I’ve found at a burnt house site a few years back so I’m all but positive on the silver content. We’re all tied up on the decision to split’em or leav’em! Thx Whadi, Ddf.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool double coin find, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's such a cool find. That has got to be driving you crazy!

Diggingthe1, you have no idea!! If this was a mid 1900 yard in town, I’d be thinking a couple Rosies or possibly Mercs got hooked up...but I hate to think these were a couple Bust dimes... Ddf.

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neat post! I'd just leave those melted dimes as is. You'll likely never know what they were. I've also found my share of mutilated silvers so far this year.

OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat post! I'd just leave those melted dimes as is. You'll likely never know what they were. I've also found my share of mutilated silvers so far this year.

Thx Metal Headz! I guess it’s the luck of the draw... the 1842 O Seated dime I found last Thanksgiving was a stunner, so I guess you gotta take the good with the bad... Ddf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions