The Peralta Stones

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people have asked me to post some information on the Peralta Stones, so here goes:

The story goes that in 1949 an Oregonian Police Officer who was on vacation with his family, pulled the car over to the side of a road. Never specific road given in any version of the story. He wanted to get a better look at Weaver's Needle, so he walked up to the top of a little hill. When he was walking around on the hill, he tripped over a rock. This rock didn't look natural, so he dug it out and picked it up. It was the Horse and Priest Stone. He left and took the rock home.

He came back a year later and found the two other stones and a smaller heart shaped stone. He died in 1956,and his widow gave the stones to a Travis Marlowe. Mr. Marlowe spent the next eight years decyphering the stones, but could never find the mine. On June 12th 1964, Life Magazine published an article about the stones. This was their first public showing (parts of the stones had black electrical tape covering up vital markings). They have had numerous "experts" look at them. Some say they are real, and some say they are fakes. Nobody knows for sure.

Eventually, they were donated to the Arizona Mining and Mineral Museum in Phoenix, where they sit today. They are not on display, but they will bring them out if you ask (they may charge you for it).

Here is an update to the story I originally posted:

Some have said that the finder was never positively identified.

That is not true. His name was Travis Tumlinson, and his wife confirmed (after his death) that the stones were found along the highway between Apache Junction and Florence Junction, Az, on their way back to Oregon from vacationing in Texas. Nobody has ever questioned the veracity Travis Tumlinson. He was a Cop from Hood River, Oregon. He found the Don Stone initially. He ran back to the car and got a shovel. He spent a few hours digging around where he found the first stone. He found stones 2, 3, and 4. They took the stones into Apache Junction, and washed them off. When somebody asked him what they were, he said he just found them. The guy said that they must be treasure maps. Travis got a little paranoid and put them in his car

So, here are the Peralta Stones:

Attachments

• horsef~1 copy.jpg
    horsef~1 copy.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 5,642
  • horsemapB.jpg
    horsemapB.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 5,504
OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the Horse side of the stone, in the upper right hand corner is a map and clues. In this map, the word RIO is used. This may mean to cross a river, but what many people who see these stones don't realize, is that many times when the Spanish used the word RIO in a map or carving, the mean it as a water clue. I.E: reflection or mirror image. It may mean to read this inreverse.

On the Witch/Priest Side, is another short map. I believe this map was how to find the other stones. I think this, because if you look carefully, you will see the back side of the Heart Stone (rectangle w/cross inside).

Attachments

• horsebk.jpg
    horsebk.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 6,437
  • withchmapa1.jpg
    withchmapa1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 5,462
OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The next stone found was the Trail/Cross Stone. This looks like another map, showing the beginning of a trail somewhere.

The other side is the word DON

Attachments

• traifrnt.jpg
    traifrnt.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 5,442
  • don.jpg
    don.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 5,770
OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next, is the Heart Stone. This is a continuation of the map on the Trail Stone. If you only have the main stone, and not the heart shaped insert, you will not see the end of the trail. You only see the date of 1847. Once the Heart Shaped stone is inserted, the final part of the trail is revealed.

Attachments

• bighrtbk.jpg
    bighrtbk.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 5,063
  • 2stones.jpg
    2stones.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 5,332
OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
``

Attachments

• bighrt.jpg
    bighrt.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 4,858
  • Heart-Pocket.jpg
    Heart-Pocket.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 4,915
  • Heart-Back.jpg
    Heart-Back.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 6,663
OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
``

Attachments

• mapb.jpg
    mapb.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 4,806
  • matched copy.jpg
    matched copy.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 4,903
  • mapa.jpg
    mapa.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 4,914
OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll even tell you where to look. If the Peralta Stones are real, and the trail to follow on the trail stone is correct, and you are supposed to go 10 degrees from center, that puts you on Herman's Mountain. I have checked this location against Google Earth, and some of my Topo Maps of the area. The mountains match. The valleys match. Use the intersection of Whitlow Canyon and East Silver King Rd as your starting point. Follow the canyons like on the Trail and Heart Stones to the end. 10 degrees to the right, and you are on the South Slope of Herman's Mountain.

This is not the location of the LDM. Most thinking puts that near the South end of Black Top Mesa near Needle Canyon.

But remember, the Peraltas had eight rich gold mines in the Superstitions. The LDM was the only one not hidden by the Apache after the Peralta Massacre, because it was too hard to see and get to. Unlikely to be found by the white man.

Mike

Twilla

Jun 21, 2006
gollum said:
I'll even tell you where to look. If the Peralta Stones are real, and the trail to follow on the trail stone is correct, and you are supposed to go 10 degrees from center, that puts you on Herman's Mountain. I have checked this location against Google Earth, and some of my Topo Maps of the area. The mountains match. The valleys match. Use the intersection of Whitlow Canyon and East Silver King Rd as your starting point. Follow the canyons like on the Trail and Heart Stones to the end. 10 degrees to the right, and you are on the South Slope of Herman's Mountain.

This is not the location of the LDM. Most thinking puts that near the South end of Black Top Mesa near Needle Canyon.

But remember, the Peraltas had eight rich gold mines in the Superstitions. The LDM was the only one not hidden by the Apache after the Peralta Massacre, because it was too hard to see and get to. Unlikely to be found by the white man.

Mike

Wow Mike! You're just a fountain of information aren't you? How long have you been treasure hunting to have learned all you know about so many different things?

T

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing somebody might want to try. If you are in the area, start at the spot indicated by Queens Creek. Follow the course indicated, and see if there are monuments along the way. According to the Trail and Heart Stones, there are nineteen spots along the trail at equidistant intervals. Those most likely coincide with sixteen landmarks.

Keep in mind that other people may have had this same thought, and destroyed any landmarks they found to keep anybody else from finding them.

Mike

Attachments

• Trail-Map-Combined 1.jpg
    Trail-Map-Combined 1.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 6,046
OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found this, and it is almost exactly what I have been saying. This is somebody else's idea as well. Like I said, so many people have gotten into the LDM Story over the years, it's hard to imagine anyone thinking of something entirely new based on the same evidence that has been around for 60 years.

Mike

Attachments

• mapa.jpg
    mapa.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 6,030
  • mapa.jpg
    mapa.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 5,113

boulder dash

Aug 28, 2006
Gollum could not help but notice that picket post mountain is in the wrong spot. PPM is south of queen creek not to the north.

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Boulder,

That map is not mine. It is from TE Glover's Book.

Best,

Mike

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OOOOPS! My bad. It is actually Chuck Kenworthy's Map.

Maybe we should tell him! I agree!

Mike

Seventytwo

Apr 4, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Many
djui5 said:
Look at the drawing of the horse map. Someone even "tricked" that up. Hillarious.

For instance, where is the writing on the horse butt on the stone? I don't see any. Also, it says "Yo Pasto", but the last O looks like a U to me. And it says "Al Norte".

That "O" looks more like an awkard 6 to me...

so if the that is a u and not an o, and if that is a G instead of a six, you could with very little help come up with a sentance that says. U past Go, or am I just on the wrong page?

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See Randy,

I think your problem is that you need to look at the stone from an early 1960s picture! Are the ones in teh AM&M Museum copies? Maybe!

Here is a picture of the Horse Stone while in the custody of MOEL Inc:

marlowemapto4.jpg

If you look carefully at the haunch, you will notice what looks like the name "PEDRO"

Best,

Mike

Seventytwo

Apr 4, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Many
gollum said:
See Randy,

I think your problem is that you need to look at the stone from an early 1960s picture! Are the ones in the AM&M Museum copies? Maybe!

Here is a picture of the Horse Stone while in the custody of MOEL Inc:

marlowemapto4.jpg

If you look carefully at the haunch, you will notice what looks like the name "PEDRO"

Best,

Mike

Is their a number 2 on the horse's forhead.
Or is it just me SEEING THINGS.
Seventytwo

MesaBuddy

Feb 8, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
Polygragh and if needed sodium P
No thats not a number 2 , its the mark of "Zorro" :P

Warm Regards

Buddy A

Attachments

• williams.jpg
    williams.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 5,157
OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Buddy,

You SHOULD have used a picture from Zorro, The Gay Blade! ;D ;D ;D

Mike

Attachments

• 1nqr.jpg
    1nqr.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 4,388

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread