The Potato Field - Day 3 - Hammered & 16th-17th C GOLD RING.......

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thankfully we had the rain I was hoping for & although it was meant to rain all day it didn't.:icon_thumright:
We had a quick 30 minutes hunt on a nearby field & gave that one up as a bad option. We then returned to gridding the Potato Field. It was a slow start & we soon had to move as the weeds were too high. I moved us to an area I liked, on our 1st day scouting, & on that first run Cru'dad bangs out a hammered. Great we are back in the game. (Keeping a streak alive)
By lunchtime our good finds were a little light & we thought it was going to be a lesser day.....Until I decided to wander a little past the last flag turn-a-round point whilst waiting for Cru'dad to catch me up. (Normally I just finish his runs for him) As I was trying to work out if this end was worth doing I didn't do a straight line (Because we might be going back over it) & I just fumbled onto the GOLD RING.:headbang:
(5 hour hunt)

2 Scrappies
17th C Token
18th C Navy Button
Medieval Horse Pendant
Spanish 8 Maravedis (Counter-marked 1630 on rev)
Hammered of Ed I Bury St Edmund's mint (Only my 3rd of this mint)
What I believe to be a late 16th - early 17th C 22ct Gold Seal Ring with some kind of early hallmark/makers mark.:occasion18: This must be very high status, as using the 3 Lions would require Royal Approval.:thumbsup: It will be handed in as treasure very soon.

UPDATED
It's now been handed over to the FLO. They will email the British Museum to either treat as a Treasure case or 'if' less than 300 years old, it will go down the PAS route.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    251.5 KB · Views: 235
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    231.5 KB · Views: 181
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 174
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 196
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 329
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 355
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Upvote 61
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the confirmed treasure!

I was wondering if any experts on heraldry have been looking into that coat of arms? The ring had activated my curiosity but all I could determine was that the star means that the owner of the ring was the 3rd to hold the title and arms (I think, heh). It would be awesome if the item could be linked with a specific person, and I'd be very interested in any updates regarding original ownership.
They will probably make a token effort at the family link. After all if the Museum shows an interest, an historical family will push up the market price they have to pay.
Sadly my contact on coat of arms has no firm linkage yet.
You are close, the star or mullet is the 3rd Son of....The Lion's are pointing towards a French connection. Thats all we have right now, other than its small size points towards a young rich boy.:thumbsup: Plus its fine workmanship shows they choose a top goldsmith, so I hope they ID the Hallmark/makers mark as that will attract interest & a tighter date-line.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE;

The British Museum Report is now in for the Gold Ring.

It agrees with my date range, but sadly they can't ID the makers mark or the family arms.:sadsmiley: I will continue my independent research by reaching out to contacts.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thankfully we had the rain I was hoping for & although it was meant to rain all day it didn't.:icon_thumright:
We had a quick 30 minutes hunt on a nearby field & gave that one up as a bad option. We then returned to gridding the Potato Field. It was a slow start & we soon had to move as the weeds were too high. I moved us to an area I liked, on our 1st day scouting, & on that first run Cru'dad bangs out a hammered. Great we are back in the game. (Keeping a streak alive)
By lunchtime our good finds were a little light & we thought it was going to be a lesser day.....Until I decided to wander a little past the last flag turn-a-round point whilst waiting for Cru'dad to catch me up. (Normally I just finish his runs for him) As I was trying to work out if this end was worth doing I didn't do a straight line (Because we might be going back over it) & I just fumbled onto the GOLD RING.:headbang:
(5 hour hunt)

2 Scrappies
17th C Token
18th C Navy Button
Medieval Horse Pendant
Spanish 8 Maravedis (Counter-marked 1630 on rev)
Hammered of Ed I Bury St Edmund's mint (Only my 3rd of this mint)
What I believe to be a late 16th - early 17th C 22ct Gold Seal Ring with some kind of early hallmark/makers mark.:occasion18: This must be very high status, as using the 3 Lions would require Royal Approval.:thumbsup: It will be handed in as treasure very soon.

UPDATED
It's now been handed over to the FLO. They will email the British Museum to either treat as a Treasure case or 'if' less than 300 years old, it will go down the PAS route.

That looks like an excellent day! Amazing finds hopefully more info on the ring comes to light after they research it! How often do you find metal arrowheads in your neck of the woods? I would love to find one! In my area I think the only hope I have is kettle points, trade points or pre-contract points. They are all extremely rare to find.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like an excellent day! Amazing finds hopefully more info on the ring comes to light after they research it! How often do you find metal arrowheads in your neck of the woods? I would love to find one! In my area I think the only hope I have is kettle points, trade points or pre-contract points. They are all extremely rare to find.
I've only had one 'possible' metal arrowhead, & a nice flint one.

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 Lions Passant was high status to say the least. It was reserved for the Royal successors of King Richard I...until 1340. If the ring were made later...that would be interesting.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
amazing I want to do what you do thanks for sharing with us. Tommy

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 Lions Passant was high status to say the least. It was reserved for the Royal successors of King Richard I...until 1340. If the ring were made later...that would be interesting.
Although I don't think this has a direct Royal connection, it would have an indirect one, as only those that had Royal approval could use symbols like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread