The problem with fake gold prospecting videos on Youtube

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here's a pretty good video criticizing all the fake prospecting videos that are popping up more often on Youtube now. I wish people would bullcrap less about what gold they find but sadly it seems like it's just an inherent part of prospecting. I'm convinced even the older Gold Fever videos with Tom Maisie are faked too.

Upvote 5

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Half of all people are below average intellectually so when they see someone pulling spray painted gold pebbles out of a stream by the bucket full they actually believe it. Then they share that video with their friends and the video maker makes alot of money.

Worse yet, the real treasure finders get less views because their gold is tiny and presented with actual facts, which many find boring. Ironically the fake treasure hunters make more money than the real ones simply because of all the views and ad revenue their videos make.

They will buy real high end equipment and use it as nothing more than props to uphold the guise of legitimacy - all to "locate" an artifact they paid $2 for and planted 5 minutes earlier. A great racket none to dissimilar to those cable TV shows like Oak Island and Storage Wars.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
HAHA years back when I got around to prospecting , the guy's where I worked thought they would mess with me by painting rocks with gold paint. I tricked them back by laughing at it and thought it was a friendly / funny gesture ! BUT their eye's got big when I brought in some rich super cons and panned it in front of them. One guy I knew had some property in New Mexico and I was going to do a road trip out to close where he had some property. I drove by it enrout to where I was planning on a 2 week prospecting trip and observed his property from the road. His access on to the property had a culvert that was plugged up with gravel and I told him about it when I came back and told him to make sure he brought a shovel or 2 to dig it out. I also said to him that I'd buy a 5 gallon bucket of the gravels from him.....This guy was suspicious /and tighter than I'll ever be !!! BUT when he came back from his trip he did bring in a 3 gallon can of that material and asked me to pan it Infront of his . This was non-screened gravels right out of the rain ditch. So I got a water container and screened everything down with different mesh screens and when I got to the smaller mesh towards the bottom there was a lot of unbeliever's starting to walk away laughing.... BUT when I got down to not even a spoonful of material it started to shine on me ! YEP it wasn't enough to yell but there was a small speck of color and my smile got bigger and the look on that guy's face was WORTH THE EFFORT ! His only comment was that he also brought a 5 gallon bucket for himself to pan ! Now they're a believer WHAT GOOD IS A DREAM IF YOU CAN"T / DON"T PURSUE IT ! Happy Thanksgiving to one and all !

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here's a pretty good video criticizing all the fake prospecting videos that are popping up more often on Youtube now. I wish people would bullcrap less about what gold they find but sadly it seems like it's just an inherent part of prospecting. I'm convinced even the older Gold Fever videos with Tom Maisie are faked too.

Tom Massie junior basically plants every piece he ever videos

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread