The Queen’s Jewels from 1715 fleet

LootDigger

Aug 10, 2019
El Paso, Texas
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello all I saw a few threads on the 1715 fleet and one on the Queen’s Jewels and there’s a few questions I’d like to ask. 1. Even if the jewels are found and brought up, would they be in wearable condition? 2. Would they be mainly for women or would they be unisex? 3. If any, would there be any pieces for men? And 4. What kind of jewelry pieces were there?

diggerdave46

Greenie
Jul 20, 2015
titusville fla
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello LOOTDIGGER checkout the museum online about the fleet its got a lot of info where are you? im in Brevard co and detect the beaches as much as I can want yo go hit me up.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello all I saw a few threads on the 1715 fleet and one on the Queen’s Jewels and there’s a few questions I’d like to ask. 1. Even if the jewels are found and brought up, would they be in wearable condition? 2. Would they be mainly for women or would they be unisex? 3. If any, would there be any pieces for men? And 4. What kind of jewelry pieces were there?

I'm sure they will look fabulous on you. Post pics when you find them.

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was there ever any correspondence from King Philip V of Spain to the Viceroy of New Spain Duque de Linares requesting gifts for the Queen. Perhaps in the timeframe of Sept 1714 thru Dec 1714 when the engagement began?

Jack Haskins report said the President of the Audiencia of Guadalajara placed gifts for the Queen on Ubilla's Capitana.
The President of the Audiencia of Guadalajara served as second in command to the Viceroy of New Spain.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
The lore about the still missing "8 chests full of jewels belonging to the Spanish Queen" is just that: lore to lure in suckers...err, sorry, investors.

Was there ever any correspondence from King Philip V of Spain to the Viceroy of New Spain Duque de Linares requesting gifts for the Queen. Perhaps in the timeframe of Sept 1714 thru Dec 1714 when the engagement began?

Jack Haskins report said the President of the Audiencia of Guadalajara placed gifts for the Queen on Ubilla's Capitana.
The President of the Audiencia of Guadalajara served as second in command to the Viceroy of New Spain.

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I kind of lured myself in.

Nobody else to blame but me.

Beach find now we're looking in the water.

Attachments

• IMG_1287.JPG
    IMG_1287.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 1,787
  • IMG_1285.JPG
    IMG_1285.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 1,804

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For Researchers

For a different perspective on Colonial Spain, Professors I corresponded with:

Edward R. Slack, Jr - Professor of History at Eastern Washington University.
Publications "The Chinos in New Spain: A Corrective Lens for a Distorted Image" in Journal of World History 20.1 (March 2009)

"Sinifying New Spain: Cathay's Influence on Colonial Mexico via the Nao de China" in Journal of Chinese Overseas 5.1 (May 2009)

"Orientalizing New Spain: Perspectives on Asian Influence in Colonial Mexico" in Mexico y la Cuenca del Pacifico 15.43 (January - April 2012)

Aaron Alejandro Olivas - Assistant Professor of History at Texas A&M International Univ. (Laredo, Tx.)

Book "Loyalty and Disloyalty in Spanish America during the War of the Spanish Succession (1700-1715)"

The Chino Guild of Mexico was so respected by the Viceroy of Mexico that he chartered them to manage the Manila Galleon fair in Acapulco. He believed he could trust them to collect the Royal tax.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a year off and moved to Vero beach to hunt. The year before a couple of guys found all kinds of Spanish coins on Wabasso beach after a storm. I hunted almost everyday and talked to many guys who live there and who traveled there to hunt and no one found jewels. I hunted 60 miles North and South of Vero and found only a few silver cobs. I even went out after a hurricane where the beach was down 10' - 15'. I've lived in Fl for 48 years now and have been detecting for over 35 and have never heard of any jewels being found on either coast. They may be there but the coral has claimed them if they are.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a year off and moved to Vero beach to hunt. The year before a couple of guys found all kinds of Spanish coins on Wabasso beach after a storm. I hunted almost everyday and talked to many guys who live there and who traveled there to hunt and no one found jewels. I hunted 60 miles North and South of Vero and found only a few silver cobs. I even went out after a hurricane where the beach was down 10' - 15'. I've lived in Fl for 48 years now and have been detecting for over 35 and have never heard of any jewels being found on either coast. They may be there but the coral has claimed them if they are.

Detectorists don't always make public what they find.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People don't post some items for good reason.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectorists don't always make public what they find.

Ya, but you always have some that do. A few of the guys showed me the coins they found and even told me where they found them. After a yr there I made a lot of "buddies" that felt comfortable telling me their stories after a few beers.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ok, here is a quote from that article: "Over 1,000 people were killed but almost 1,500 survived"

On July 24, 1715 a fleet of 12 ships sailed from the harbor of Havana. Each ship would have to hold 209 men. How big do you think the ships were? I find this hard to believe and someones delusions.

Another quote: "I was able to sustain all of the survivors of the disaster until supplies finally arrived from Havana, which was 31 days after the disaster"

So how did they get word to Havana and get ships back to Sebastian in 31 days? They only had a small row boat.... it's 473 miles each way....

So much of that article seems not logical. Sounds like a subject trying to appease the queen. Of course we know they had gold and silver onboard and some has been found but the numbers in the article would make you believe there were tons and tons of it which hasn't been found yet.

Last edited:

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ais Indians alerted the Spanish at St. Augustine to the disaster further south. They had a system of message runners, smoke signals, and drumming that carried the information rapidly north. The Spanish in St. Augustine began rescue preps as they waited on more detailed information to arrive.
In the 1700's the British used Cherokee message runners further to the north, and documented them sometimes covering over 100 miles in a single day. [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.yourgrandmotherscherokee.com/blog/cherokee-running[/FONT]
Modern people are wimps.:laughing7:

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ais Indians alerted the Spanish at St. Augustine to the disaster further south. They had a system of message runners, smoke signals, and drumming that carried the information rapidly north. The Spanish in St. Augustine began rescue preps as they waited on more detailed information to arrive.
In the 1700's the British used Cherokee message runners further to the north, and documented them sometimes covering over 100 miles in a single day. [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.yourgrandmotherscherokee.com/blog/cherokee-running[/FONT]
Modern people are wimps.:laughing7:

The last 90 miles from Key West to Havana must have been a ***** for the running Indians....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread