The Quincy Lakes Legend (WA State)

Jamesspade2

Tenderfoot
Sep 25, 2005
George, Washington
Back in the 1860's, after or towards the end of the Civil War, a Confederate Soldier abandoned his unit, and took a wagon full of gold, and headed towards the Western Expanse of the United States. In 1871, he arrived in the what is now Quincy Lakes area, a mecca of freshwater lakes just up a mile from the Columbia River. The game was plentiful, and the land was farmable, and he built a homestead underneath a cliff face that sheltered him from the hot sun in the Summer days.

Fast forward to the 1950's, and an old Indian recalls a tale of an old man, with gold coins of mass multitude, who lived and died in the Quincy Lakes area. He tells of the old man, before he died, taking some horses ladened with full bags, and heading north about a mile and a half, and climbing the cliff walls there. The old man died, and was buried by the Indian's Father.

Fast forward to the 1980's. A guy buys up the whole area of the far reaches of the Quincy Lakes (some 1800 acres) and has walked out with a MD every day since the early 80's.

Late fall of 2005, I was out walking around the Lakes area, walking my dogs, and I stumbled across an old homestead. After research, I found this to be the site of the homestead of the old Confederate Soldier. I started researching the area, and I have found what appears to be the the cliff that the old man went to when he delivered the bags.

I went down last summer a few times to walk the area, and I started trying to find away up the cliff wall to the area at which he supposedly hid the gold. Early this year, I was finally successful in finding away to scale the heights, and I found out that.......it's gonna take along time to study the geological damages. I did find an old canteen, and a few other items, but, to this date, no gold. I have eliminated it down to a 400 foot tall by 1 mile long by 500 feet wide rock structure. There is numerous caves. Anyways, here's a picture of the general area that I've narrowed my search to. Sorry about the pics. They were taken by a camera phone.

1169925105.jpg

1169928853.jpg

rickomatic

Greenie
May 14, 2010
Snohomish WA
Detector(s) used
some el cheapo right now
Looks like Ancient Lakes. I've fished and hunted there. I also hiked down from above once over 20 years ago. Came down from Quincy Lakes road. There was a trail that came down by a waterfall. Come to think of it, it was with my wife and my son, when he was like 5. He is 27 now. How time flies. :)
Another local treasure story is the Trinidad gold cache, circa the turn of the century.

rickomatic

Greenie
May 14, 2010
Snohomish WA
Detector(s) used
some el cheapo right now
Hope you got some inside information, or a lot of lifetimes!

LOL. No kidding, Monk. That area has so many nooks and crannies that all look alike. Besides, from what I've read, I think someone found it a long time ago. But, who knows what else might be hidden in one of those nooks and crannies..............besides rattlesnakes!! :o

Feb 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I have some close friend that camp in the area and weve really been into the legend for a long time. Me and my buddies range from 21-25 and always want to explore. I saw you haven't posted anything about this legend in a long time, anything turn up with the homestead? It be cool if you would be willing to share location so we could explore the homestead. Of course if we found anything we would share haha(we most likely won't) but I've always had a dream to feel the rush of searching for something lost in the outdoors, it's not about finding it but the experience. If you could help in any way that would be awesome and very appreciated thank you.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
THB: The guy hasn't been on the site since 2013...doubt
he'll see your comments.

BTW, welcome to the site! :hello:

Feb 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Know of anywhere else I could get info on this legend? Ive been searching but same page keeps coming up. How did he even find the homestead with a name?

flowers

Apr 12, 2013
seattle.wa
Detector(s) used
white-mxt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the cabin was made in late 1920's by two men
hunting for john welch's lost gold

here is that cabin
old cabin.jpg

john welch's lost gold was found in 1980's

Jun 9, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the 1860's, after or towards the end of the Civil War, a Confederate Soldier abandoned his unit, and took a wagon full of gold, and headed towards the Western Expanse of the United States. In 1871, he arrived in the what is now Quincy Lakes area, a mecca of freshwater lakes just up a mile from the Columbia River. The game was plentiful, and the land was farmable, and he built a homestead underneath a cliff face that sheltered him from the hot sun in the Summer days.

Fast forward to the 1950's, and an old Indian recalls a tale of an old man, with gold coins of mass multitude, who lived and died in the Quincy Lakes area. He tells of the old man, before he died, taking some horses ladened with full bags, and heading north about a mile and a half, and climbing the cliff walls there. The old man died, and was buried by the Indian's Father.

Fast forward to the 1980's. A guy buys up the whole area of the far reaches of the Quincy Lakes (some 1800 acres) and has walked out with a MD every day since the early 80's.

Late fall of 2005, I was out walking around the Lakes area, walking my dogs, and I stumbled across an old homestead. After research, I found this to be the site of the homestead of the old Confederate Soldier. I started researching the area, and I have found what appears to be the the cliff that the old man went to when he delivered the bags.

I went down last summer a few times to walk the area, and I started trying to find away up the cliff wall to the area at which he supposedly hid the gold. Early this year, I was finally successful in finding away to scale the heights, and I found out that.......it's gonna take along time to study the geological damages. I did find an old canteen, and a few other items, but, to this date, no gold. I have eliminated it down to a 400 foot tall by 1 mile long by 500 feet wide rock structure. There is numerous caves. Anyways, here's a picture of the general area that I've narrowed my search to. Sorry about the pics. They were taken by a camera phone.

1169925105.jpg

1169928853.jpg
Is this lake a few miles south of trinidad if so in october of 2018 a farmer following theives stubled accrost saddle bags with gold nuggets in it whail resting after following them up a long Arroyo he sat down on a rock that was wobbling when he stood up he noticed what looked to be rotton leather protruding from the dirt he turned the gold in to the local police station and the land owner claimed it and have him %40 if anyones out searching for this your out of luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread