Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow that was some outstanding outdoor adventure
I recall year’s ago my friend’s father had a coon dog and they took me out for a night hunt when the fur prices were high..it was a hunt that I always will remember

Don't recall any time in the last 40 years that 'coon prices made
targeting them worth the effort. I get a lot more enjoyment out of
handing out some treats rather than skinning, fleshing out and drying
greasy coon skins. :icon_thumright:

Crash..got heavily into predator calling from the time I was 18 on.
Even made and marketed my own calls for a couple years; sadly I
couldn't compete with the ones being made overseas. In the late
1980's I took 3rd in the National Varmint Calling Contest..got beat by
Jim Dougherty and Murry Burnham (of Burnham Bros. calls).

My lungs are so shot now that if I started blowing a call I'd pass out within the first minute...
rofl.gif

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My lungs are so shot now that if I started blowing a call I'd pass out within the first minute... View attachment 2003798

My lungs are so shot now that if I started blowing a call I'd pass out within the first minute... View attachment 2003798
Yes it was many many years ago when fur
Prices were high I was one time invited to go on a hunt..walking thru the forest at night time was difficult but the thrill of the hunt was exciting

Jc

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other

... you must not have a sweet corn patch. Coons can ruin a years worth of work in a few nights. It’s the same story with coyotes and a calf crop...

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
... you must not have a sweet corn patch. Coons can ruin a years worth of work in a few nights. It’s the same story with coyotes and a calf crop...
While on the Island neighbour lost a young 800 lb steer to the Coydog/Coyote pack-2 nights it was all cleaned up.

How does a person get rid of a coon?
"Just drop it off at the nearest corn field" :laughing7:

Seriously between the deer and the coons growing corn for the plate is pretty well a no-go for here. Seems if one doesn't get it the other one will. Coons seem to just break all the stalks over, just because they can.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While on the Island neighbour lost a young 800 lb steer to the Coydog/Coyote pack-2 nights it was all cleaned up.

How does a person get rid of a coon?
"Just drop it off at the nearest corn field" :laughing7:

Seriously between the deer and the coons growing corn for the plate is pretty well a no-go for here. Seems if one doesn't get it the other one will. Coons seem to just break all the stalks over, just because they can.
Damn feral hogs down here wipe out 50 acres at a time,get right out in the middle of a 500 acre field and hollow out a big spot right down to the ground.Critters ain,t always friendly.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I guess I bought my first call in about 1965,a Burnham,followed by a Herters,bet you remember them! Ended up,the best call i ever used was the TallyHo,a neat little,inexpensive call that you could make talk.Love that thing,still got one.What call did you make? I used about everything Burnham ever put out,along with Circe and Weems.Faulk and Mallardtone were at that time regional calls.Even had a Olt and some lesser known ones,I just loved experimenting with them.if you placed third to Dougherty and Burnham you got nothing to be ashamed of. I can still blow a call if I don,t neglect my exercise,if I do I sound kind of weak!!!!!! I,m interested in the call you sold,let me know what it was named.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Damn feral hogs down here wipe out 50 acres at a time,get right out in the middle of a 500 acre field and hollow out a big spot right down to the ground.Critters ain,t always friendly.
Starting to hear they're making in ground in Sw Ontario areas now
Remembering back when detecting in FL, I asked the permission what did all the upheaval in the forested area? Damn Houston that damage, you'll have to careful out there.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starting to hear they're making in ground in Sw Ontario areas now
Remembering back when detecting in FL, I asked the permission what did all the upheaval in the forested area? Damn Houston that damage, you'll have to careful out there.
They,re tough,resilient critters.Have few natural predators and reproduce like crazy. Mean too in a herd.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Speaking of coons, there is a museum, I believe it's in Athens, Ga. that has on display a coon hound that had gone up the inside of a tree in pursuit of a racoon. The dog had become entrapped inside the tree and died. The poor dogs remains had become mummified over the years by the sap inside the tree. This was discovered after a woods fire and the tree having been fallen. Poor dog. What a horrible death it must have been. The owner probably never realized the fate of his beloved dog. Or Dawg' as we say here in Georgia.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of coons, there is a museum, I believe it's in Athens, Ga. that has on display a co on hound that had gone up the inside of a tree in pursuit of a racoon. The dog had become entrapped inside the tree and died. The poor dogs remains had become mummified over the years by the sap inside the tree. This was discovered after a woods fire and the tree having been fallen. Poor dog. What a horrible death it must have been.
That,s horrible! Most hounds are fearless,gets them into all kinds of predicaments.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Parris Island was loaded with raccoons in South Carolina. I never associated with raccoons living in coastal areas, but they do. Hewge too. Some were about as large as a medium size dawgs.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Fat, I was referring to the pelt prices, not the damage they can do.

Coons are relatively easy to trap, and in your area a good trapper can
catch 20 or more per night without too much work.

Here's a quote from Trappingtoday.com regarding the raccoon market:

"The market for raccoon pelts is terrible. A very abundant item with low demand and high processing costs has created a situation where it’s going to be difficult if not impossible to sell many raccoon skins at any price. The best quality pelts – the largest sizes that are fully prime and undamaged – will have demand and may sell for $10-15, but the rest may not sell at all, or if they do, average in the low single digits. There is a ton of supply backlog in this market. It’ll be a while before we see improvement."

Only way a farmer is going to get a trapper to come in and manage
the 'coon population is if they offer a $10 per head bounty, and the farmer disposes of the carcasses.

As for me, I had a change of heart some years back, and I don't kill critters anymore unless I've got no other option.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Fat, I was referring to the pelt prices, not the damage they can do.

Coons are relatively easy to trap, and in your area a good trapper can
catch 20 or more per night without too much work.

Here's a quote from Trappingtoday.com regarding the raccoon market:

"The market for raccoon pelts is terrible. A very abundant item with low demand and high processing costs has created a situation where it’s going to be difficult if not impossible to sell many raccoon skins at any price. The best quality pelts – the largest sizes that are fully prime and undamaged – will have demand and may sell for $10-15, but the rest may not sell at all, or if they do, average in the low single digits. There is a ton of supply backlog in this market. It’ll be a while before we see improvement."

Only way a farmer is going to get a trapper to come in and manage
the 'coon population is if they offer a $10 per head bounty, and the farmer disposes of the carcasses.

As for me, I had a change of heart some years back, and I don't kill critters anymore unless I've got no other option.
…x-mas break fur
A90BBA64-FF56-425F-9986-96894B948BB8.jpeg

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like those pics, especially showing bald eagles are scavengers, which most people don't know. Knew a lot of coon hunters. Grandpa used to hunt coons, and one time a coon jumped in the creek and his best dog went in after him. It was a trap. That coon got up on the dog's head and drowned him. Grandpa never hunted coons again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread