THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Have I mentioned the methane riding my way with a S-S.W. wind? Wasted resources causing it. Wasted methane in its ghosting around recalling the past now decomposed unused .
I likely mentioned the friend sent to look over a cattle feed lot manure digester used to feed generators? That's methane. We can make/do it at home.
But we lack the critical "scrubber" to reduce corrosion.

Waste. Debris. Discard.

Milk in bottles that were reused. Quite the concept...

Folks that knew the pinch of wars and recession and depression were not looking to poor money into rapid waste streams of domestic consumption.

We're not saving the planet. Or repairing it. Not going to happen. Best we can do is prolong it's suffering our constant influence.

Just down the highway a bit on one of my permissions the owner has a manure digester that was 500KW and he applied and got another 250KW increase. Now its fed manure plus a 45ft tanker of cooking oils everyday. The product stays in the digester for 80 days and it perks away suppling energy for the generator(s). This also kills all the pathogens that are in the material.
What is kind of interesting is the by-product from the digester is held in a 1 million gallon tank lagoon, as they only spread on the 1000 acres when the frost is out of the ground. The black contents is sprayed on the fields that they can crop, and to supply seed, and silage for their own needs to feed the 250+ milkers.
On the 70 acre field that sits along the highway as a buffer to the farm he grows alpha. He gets 5/6 harvests off the field every season as it's pretty well pure nitrogen that they spend out in the black slurry. The smell is a vent closer on the vehicle, though by the next day it's a nothing.
There has been times that he has to do a burn off as the levels in the digester builds up and the only way to mitigate the issue is to ignite the methane. The torch is lite and is a interesting sight to see at night as one rarely sees the event.
It's something that I wouldn't want on my field though as one doesn't really know what the slurry contains.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just down the highway a bit on one of my permissions the owner has a manure digester that was 500KW and he applied and got another 250KW increase. Now its fed manure plus a 45ft tanker of cooking oils everyday. The product stays in the digester for 80 days and it perks away suppling energy for the generator(s). This also kills all the pathogens that are in the material.
What is kind of interesting is the by-product from the digester is held in a 1 million gallon tank lagoon, as they only spread on the 1000 acres when the frost is out of the ground. The black contents is sprayed on the fields that they can crop, and to supply seed, and silage for their own needs to feed the 250+ milkers.
On the 70 acre field that sits along the highway as a buffer to the farm he grows alpha. He gets 5/6 harvests off the field every season as it's pretty well pure nitrogen that they spend out in the black slurry. The smell is a vent closer on the vehicle, though by the next day it's a nothing.
There has been times that he has to do a burn off as the levels in the digester builds up and the only way to mitigate the issue is to ignite the methane. The torch is lite and is a interesting sight to see at night as one rarely sees the event.
It's something that I wouldn't want on my field though as one doesn't really know what the slurry contains.

Mornin all.

Hey P.J..:
The friend who was sent to check out digesters and methane production said they had a by product of something like a fine dry mulch.
If recalled correctly it was being used for bedding.
The person that sent him had a former cattle operation and I don't know for sure what his interests were. Perhaps it was setting up digesters around the country.
So , I don't have any time lapse details of how using the by product for bedding worked out. My first question would be dust contents/levels long term effect on cattle lungs.
Not that cattle in a feed lot have a long life...

I shouldn't smell methane here. Wild guess I'm a couple miles plus from the landfill as the crow flies.
It is supposed to be burned/flared off.
The "cells" design of the landfill are supposed to include a collection of methane to control it.
It's rare of late for me to see it being flared off. Used to be more common.

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Showe is freaky weather these days. 68 yesterday. 43 high today. Back in the 50’s and 60’s this weekend.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Goin for swords....hope to catch a monster today....this is my first time swordfishing in over 10 years.
They are very tasty. I just had an excellent grilled swordfish steak the other night.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Gmorn all, I slept in, 9 above, only 3 inches of snow. Sun is shinning. My best girl will be home today and the dog is already cleaning up the dishes, never want her to think she’s not needed...

Im going to have to write down my rebuttals on paper cause I can’t keep up. Please be patient.
I have a biodegradable grease route. The panhandles 6 Walmart’s plus stops in between, it takes 3-4 days a month. There is a big hog farming company in eastern Colorado that has tried to harvest methane but I’m not sure of results.

The high school in Oshgosh Ne. put in a small windcharger. $16 grand. If you do the math on the productivity, it was a school project, That investment provided enough electricity to light 14-16? doors exit signs. If it was real economics it would not pay the interest on the money yet along principal.

Last edited:

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good morning fellows.

Today is permission day finally... I'll be asking to detect the places I've been researching for five years now. Pray. I'm nervous as anything right now.

On a different note, below is a German helmet I just finished restoring.

DSC_0054.jpg

Albertaclipper

Feb 27, 2012
Central Alberta, Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning fellows.

Today is permission day finally... I'll be asking to detect the places I've been researching for five years now. Pray. I'm nervous as anything right now.

Well done restoring that helmet, very cool!
Good luck on your permissions!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good morning fellows.

Is that the final look, or is it going to be going the same route as the last helmet restoration?

Best of luck on permissions-5 yrs that's a lengthy time to be researching a location.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Afternoon Msbeepbeep. How’s it going?

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is that the final look, or is it going to be going the same route as the last helmet restoration?

Best of luck on permissions-5 yrs that's a lengthy time to be researching a location.

I think this will be the final look. I'm not 100% sure yet.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a video explaining more in detail how the whole methane production process works using manure and food scraps.

Just basically an enclosed huge composting system and at the end of the day you have a good quality compost without any pathogens due to the heat processed during the production.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got permission for the Furnace!

They even let us poke around a bit. As expected, lots of iron, but we didn't stay too long. They bulldozed where we think the yankees camped so it might be easier than we thought. We'll have to go back and see.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rusty,

A bit of advice for what it's worth I'd dig pretty much everything at that site. You want the goodies be prepared to work for it!

I got permission for the Furnace!

They even let us poke around a bit. As expected, lots of iron, but we didn't stay too long. They bulldozed where we think the yankees camped so it might be easier than we thought. We'll have to go back and see.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

• ARC