THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In 1955... Kip Wagner made a looking glass in a surfboard and discovered the first of the 1715 Shipwreck sites by spotting piles of scattered silver bars on the reef.
Very cool
I have seen where folks have done small boats as well.
Had a thought the other day about the glass out of a big screen TV.
I thought they had some magnification because of the concave glass-but not sure.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in the day when people were responsible for their own safety.

I cut the bottom out of a pair of five gallon plastic pails then placed a round piece of glass sealed with silicon.

Took my two kids to the golf course, using the glass bottomed pails they could easily see lost golf balls under water.

The golf course's now either tender or hire divers to retrieve the lost balls.

For the prospector that don't snorkel or dive the pail might be a handy bit of kit.
alloy, Funny you should mention that a fellow we know from our stamp collecting club mentioned a similar idea. He had grown up in Egypt and since people weren't very rich they'd use something similar to look for lost jewelry, etc...at the beaches. Obviously much cheaper than detecting equipment.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool
I thought they had some magnification because of the concave glass-but not sure.
Jim, I remember going out on a glass bottomed boat either Bahamas or Dominican Republic. It was neat seeing all the multi coloured fish near the coral reef.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I dont even know why they even make the old style shovels anymore.

People are slow to learn on some simple everyday items like... a SHOVEL.

Well the shovel is the least of human slowness... its simple.... lets talk about all the slowness on items NEEDED in this world.

LIKE................ Desalination of seawater.

They can build a car that drives itself... WHICH IS NOT IMPORTANT IN ANY WAY.

but they cannot simply remove salt from water efficiently. heh

Go figure right.

Mornin all.

I don't use my foot on a shovel.
Hands alone.

Story(ies) time!

A WW2 shovel for being most most portable , and a short D-handled for heavier work.
Have used longer shovels. Too much leverage on the /my spine when seated.
The Lesche can dig a hole. Takes time is all. And is not ideal underwater. L.o.l..
A park that those working it and watching it lets me dig gave a big hit deep.
A stainless table top a couple feet deep meant I had a good foot diameter hole a couple feet deep before telling myself this item is going to stay here. I had found the curve and edge where a sink had fit. Looked like a curved shiny something at first. And I'm a sucker for shiny!
I know stuff shouldn't be left. But like an abandon copper water supply line in another park , sometimes they do get left.
Backfilled and tamped and blended in surface. (A trapping background helps hide evidence sometimes..)
Later I would learn how that table top was put there...

Dug a 20ish foot drainage ditch to put corrugated pipe in at Dad's for a roof drain. Three plus feet deep for the leading part of it , being on a slope.
Summer heat . Lots of roots to cut. Then backfilling.
Oak island is a dry hole , but for the work required on that one trench project alone, I could have got a good start on the first hole under the tree limb there....By hands instead of feet. With a short handled #2(?) shovel.

Accounts of well diggers tell of short shovels and short handled picks.
Some used a wagon wheel rim as a template to start. With keeping the sides near perfectly round full depth vital for quality work. As that kept buckets from snagging or knocking stuff into well. Not much room to swing a shovel.
Once water was seeping in , digging a few more feet was desired. More by customer or owner than for the digger. That allowed water recovery vs running too low a volume when water is being extracted. And allowed a settling of any sand silt or similar impurities in the water.
Then , in fancy cases , the bottom would be walled up with rock to water level for strength of walls and preventing collapse.. While making allowance for water to still seep in.

80 plus foot well somewhere? Yikes. Gas leaking in some places. Soft walls. Someone drop or knock something in from above.
I can imagine it would be no kind of work for me after about three feet!

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool
They make transparent canoe's... the whole thing is see through.

13547_380x380.jpg

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Apparently Minelab has a promotion - free 15 inch coil with the purchase of an Equinox 800.

I just ordered mine today, and the dealer sweetened the pot by tossing in a free book.

Price indicated is in Canadian dollars, almost worthless.

The village I live in may as well be a ghost town, researching older photos of the town during its heyday shows the location of the now missing hotel, bank, railway station and the Hudson Bay trading post.

Two old churches with one still active and a couple of old schools closed about 15 years ago.

It's going to be a busy summer.

Screenshot from 2022-01-27 16-13-03.png

EquinoxBook1.jpg

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya...I forgot how funny farts still are !!
Young lady went to her doctor.Doctor,I,ve got a problem with flatulence,just constant passing of gas.Mind you,there,s no smell or noise but it,s kind of disconcerting.Any thing that can be done? Doc gives her a prescription and tells her to come back in two weeks. Two weeks later the lady shows up highly agitated,Doctor I don,t know what those pills were but now the smell is overwhelming and the sound is just thunderous,I,m at my wits end.Doctor beams a smile and says,now that we,ve got that nose and those ears fixed lets work on that gas!!!!:laughing7:
:laughing7::laughing7::notworthy::notworthy:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A family friend long ago built a small wood row boat with about a foot and a half piece of plexiglass for a "window" in the floor. It was fun!
A good many years ago now,right after Quadaffi challenged the U.S.Navy in the Gulf of Sidra I think it was,I heard he had one of those built so he could view the Libyan Navy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread