THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's my old crock no idea how hold just know it's been in the family for awhile. Found a surprise on the bottom my grandmothers family members name could be her mother or grandmother's.
Good golly, that was a hard one for me to find! But, I think I did!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's yesterday's finds. A tiny babies spoon(plow was not kind to it), this I really like first I've ever seen like it a full metal Winchester 10 gauge shotgun shell sadly plowed to death as well but I'm happy to have it first I've seen( maybe more significant but so damaged), and a medallion that looks quite old afraid to mess with it much as I screw stuff up. Has moose head with a banner that goes down it that appears to have had something written on it but can't make it out say I O F across the top. I have till the 23rd to do more searching maybe I should. 23rd they plant sweet potatoes and once that happens my mine is up for metal detecting on this land.
Congrats on the finds. I like the spoon. So, I am ignorant. Shotgun shells are a thing to keep? I find loads of them and throw them away. What is the deal with them?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the finds. I like the spoon. So, I am ignorant. Shotgun shells are a thing to keep? I find loads of them and throw them away. What is the deal with them?
Some just aren't made no more.
Can take time to figure out what company made them.

You can knock the primers out of the brass on those not real corroded and make drawer pulls.
Dad topped a walking stick with a ten guage ..

Really though , I try to date them more to get an idea of the era they were discarded in.
One of my oldest came from a boat launch.
Got me thinking things were quite different from when waterfowl were being hunted there.

Another site the old launch is not identifiable where Dad found a shield nickel long ago laying on the sand/gravel one spring. (Windblown sheets of ice at ice out can plow things up sometimes).

A spent shotgun hull hints someone was some where at one time.
Near water it's worth poking around a bit more in case something else hit the ground.
Waterfowl hunting is often associated with cold nasty weather here.
Cold hands fumbling ect. Distraction watching elsewhere vs noting drops.

In the firlds and forest hulls /brass bases to them can hint of use repeatedly over time.
Or just be a random one off event.

Getting into a pile of them where target practice occurred is another story.
Easy to run away from , but does tell again of human activity.
If the site has a good spot to take a break , or lunch in the shade it's worth a go if nothing else beckons.

Here's a little info. in the link below.

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ones from this site tend to have some age so I keep them. Value none though. I just personally like to collect them. I figure they later can be used for projects. The full brass shell is a lot harder to come by and by a 10 gauge even harder to come by. So a rarity and oddity. Most the ones I keep are 1900-1940s I don't keep the ones with the plastic shells on them those aren't old. The ones with just the headstamp left tend to be old paper shells and are older. I believe my full brass shell one is 1800s hard to come by because I think they reloaded them often so they weren't just discarded.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you, how are you doing today my friend? Also I'm trying to be more active on here even if that means just my regular good morning wishes to everyone

Oh I'm fair. Partly cloudy. Slight chance of staying home . L.o.l..

But am alright. Thanks for asking.

Sweatshirt yesterday , is too warm today. Should get a storm tonight or tomorrow , or both. ( My excuse for not being on a tractor. That and someone said to stay out of trouble. = Translation , don't have too much fun.) ):

Not a big fan of chemicals but bought a can (yellow popular brand one to get it with lye in it) of oven cleaner.
The nickel wash on the last lanterns fount might get sprayed with it and rinsed today. Not sure what I'll find under the years of grime and crud growing on it.
Some of them coating/skins are thin. And the wrong stuff getting on them or scrubbing , can wear through easy.
I like the heat / warmer temps of this kind of weather for drying tight spots better. So today it should be.

Not a precious red hot or big value lantern to collectors, but is enough to me to take it easy on while learning.

Good to see you post. Evidence you haven't let go of the rope , and a reminder we've an internet friend (you) out your way.
It's good to have members from all points of the compass.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you Pepper, how are you doing today?
Gave the Max a bone, so I'm on the best buddy list with him.
Digging grubs and worms for the chickens.
Digging a big hole to plant an apple tree for the Mrs.
Beautiful morning breeze blowing, sun out.
Bit of moisture this afternoon.
So back to inside stuff.
Gearing my mind up for a Tuesday hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread