THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Snapchat-793850997.jpg
    Snapchat-793850997.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 18

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My Grandfather had a bait shop and store on a local lake for a bunch of years.He had a concrete minnow vat in the shade with a aerator that hung from the roof he had over it.Two things I learned from him about minnows is to keep them cool and aerated and you,ll lose very few. He raised his own crickets too,but that,s another story.
Ol timer I knew made cement tanks for minnies in his gas station wheel and deal place he built.
Round are supposed to be better so they don't bump corners so much.
The ol timer used salvaged washing machine motors to aerate tanks.

As a kid minnies went in the bathtub in a minnow bucket. Let tap drip to keep oxygen level up.
Later an airstone caused less complaints among potential tub users.

I fed minnies goldfish food as they awaited thier fate . Most were hungry.
Used to put some in an aquarium with catfish in it.
Not a good way to preserve baitfish . Plus the risk of introducing ailments imported from elsewhere to tank residents.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ol timer I knew made cement tanks for minnies in his gas station wheel and deal place he built.
Round are supposed to be better so they don't bump corners so much.
The ol timer used salvaged washing machine motors to aerate tanks.

As a kid minnies went in the bathtub in a minnow bucket. Let tap drip to keep oxygen level up.
Later an airstone caused less complaints among potential tub users.

I fed minnies goldfish food as they awaited thier fate . Most were hungry.
Used to put some in an aquarium with catfish in it.
Not a good way to preserve baitfish . Plus the risk of introducing ailments imported from elsewhere to tank residents.
If you should ever have a serious altercation with a bait dealer and want to get some well deserved revenge,just slip a 2 or 3 pound flathead catfish in his minnow vat. They lay on the bottom all day and eat minnows to their hearts content at night. I happen to know a dude this happened to and he sat up at night with a shotgun waiting for whoever was stealing his minnows. Little did he know he was being sabotaged from within.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If you should ever have a serious altercation with a bait dealer and want to get some well deserved revenge,just slip a 2 or 3 pound flathead catfish in his minnow vat. They lay on the bottom all day and eat minnows to their hearts content at night. I happen to know a dude this happened to and he sat up at night with a shotgun waiting for whoever was stealing his minnows. Little did he know he was being sabotaged from within.
Ouch!
Don't recall any serious disagreement with sellers.
I'd just dodge them if dissatisfied.
Too stingy to share a flathead with someone I didn't like!
Or channel cat. (No blues here).
A bullhead? Maybe. If I only had one and wasn't hungry.

A lake we used to fish trout in at night had some big yellow bullhead. Friend thought some master angler (a program the state runs with a minimum weight per specie for recognition. Length if released) size were in there.
I just filleted them and measured them with a hot oiled skillet!
Bullhead meant we were in too warm of water though so we'd move if catching them.
Buddy feeling the anchor to check how cold it was....About made work out of fishing sometimes. L.o.l..

:laughing7:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch!
Don't recall any serious disagreement with sellers.
I'd just dodge them if dissatisfied.
Too stingy to share a flathead with someone I didn't like!
Or channel cat. (No blues here).
A bullhead? Maybe. If I only had one and wasn't hungry.

A lake we used to fish trout in at night had some big yellow bullhead. Friend thought some master angler (a program the state runs with a minimum weight per specie for recognition. Length if released) size were in there.
I just filleted them and measured them with a hot oiled skillet!
Bullhead meant we were in too warm of water though so we'd move if catching them.
Buddy feeling the anchor to check how cold it was....About made work out of fishing sometimes. L.o.l..

:laughing7:
This guy was a real piece of work! Took over a shop that had been run by a cool old guy for many years and pretty much destroyed it. I,m not the guy put the flathead in his vat,but I may have suggested it.:laughing7: And maybe supplied the Flathead!:icon_thumleft: It was worth it and the statue of limitations has run out. Bullheads from cold clear water are very good,we don,t have a lot of cold clear water so most of the bullheads we catch go back.Kind of muddy tasting.Any other kind goes to the skillet!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
This guy was a real piece of work! Took over a shop that had been run by a cool old guy for many years and pretty much destroyed it. I,m not the guy put the flathead in his vat,but I may have suggested it.:laughing7: And maybe supplied the Flathead!:icon_thumleft: It was worth it and the statue of limitations has run out. Bullheads from cold clear water are very good,we don,t have a lot of cold clear water so most of the bullheads we catch go back.Kind of muddy tasting.Any other kind goes to the skillet!
A peek at tanks tells me how the stock is doing if my nose don't warn me off first.

Had one shop I bought little at. They didn't have much to sell and much of it was too cheap in quality or unrelated.
Square small aquarium. (Can't say no minnies though.) But never did figure out how they made any profit. Nice enough folks. Just not shop orientated really.

Slow warm water here too for bullhead. Well , shallower water they survive in during winter somehow that kills off most other fish.
Maybe predatory fish keep them in check elsewhere. Even catfish eating them.
I don't encounter them in deeper waters well attended by bigger species much.

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You probably are close to the Pistol River there! Drink beer till midnight,Pistol dawn!
Bet you I wake up with no hangover or anything lol. (Note alcohol is bad I don't condone this incredibly dumb behavior I'm just well dumb)

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A peek at tanks tells me how the stock is doing if my nose don't warn me off first.

Had one shop I bought little at. They didn't have much to sell and much of it was too cheap in quality or unrelated.
Square small aquarium. (Can't say no minnies though.) But never did figure out how they made any profit. Nice enough folks. Just not shop orientated really.

Slow warm water here too for bullhead. Well , shallower water they survive in during winter somehow that kills off most other fish.
Maybe predatory fish keep them in check elsewhere. Even catfish eating them.
I don't encounter them in deeper waters well attended by bigger species much.
Bigger catfish eat them here,Bowfin,Gar,big old snapping turtles,I reckon Alligators too.We didn,t have many gators when I was a lad,now they,re everywhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions