THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
14 AA batteries 8 in one pack 6 in the other.
The GoldMaster was the first detector the family bought-then it was full on own your own years later-no sharing my machine.
It was a costly hobby back then even.
First GoldMaster machine cost my father his 30-06 hunting rifle and a $150.00 back in the late 60's that was a heavy sum.
Similar to the 3rd picture but only had metal/mineral detected about 1-2" in the dry sand. No discrimination, dug lots of iron.

View attachment 2049501 View attachment 2049502

When the CoinMaster series was released it was a whole new world of detecting, the good times when every park, church, hall, was a virgin site.
My wrist ache now just looking at those handles. :laughing7:
lol pepper those bring back some memories... i have used all three of those and owned a couple if not all at one time or another... old garage sale picks... was too young to buy new... your really showing your age :P

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20221007_102930.jpg

I found the old Beach!! The old beach is orange...and is a good sign. Did not find much else though. One shipwreck nail, some lead from a chest, and a bone handle of some sort. Ill take pics this morning.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
lol pepper those bring back some memories... i have used all three of those and owned a couple if not all at one time or another... old garage sale picks... was too young to buy new... your really showing your age :P
Morning ARC
Yes the years are passing it seems, non the wiser though it seems somedays.
It was crazy what detectors actually cost back then compared to today.
Folks whine that the upper end machines are so expensive.
Gee $500 in the the mid 70's was a month's worth of paycheques

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
View attachment 2049644
I found the old Beach!! The old beach is orange...and is a good sign. Did not find much else though. One shipwreck nail, some lead from a chest, and a bone handle of some sort. Ill take pics this morning.
Morning Bart
Best of luck on the hunting today, it only takes one keeper to make it all worth while.

RayHeezy

Mar 26, 2014
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can any of y'all impart some hurricane wisdom on me? After Andrew were there certain places that are just so littered with trash they are still unhuntable? We don't find much Charley debris anymore. I'd really like to check out some of our new beaches here but it seems like much of the old sand just got pushed on top of everything. I would never touch a burial mound, but what of shell middens (trash) that blew over? Thinking of launching a kayak out of Bunche Beach and heading north towards the Punta Rassa point, imagery shows a large strip of beach that wasn't there previously, but I expect to only find debris.

The GF and I are going to take a break from the craziness here and go ahead somewhere for a day this week. Maybe manasota for some shark teeth, how'd the beaches up north fair? Maybe I could convince her to let me do a quick dive in key largo, how's the clarity down there bart?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can any of y'all impart some hurricane wisdom on me? After Andrew were there certain places that are just so littered with trash they are still unhuntable? We don't find much Charley debris anymore. I'd really like to check out some of our new beaches here but it seems like much of the old sand just got pushed on top of everything. I would never touch a burial mound, but what of shell middens (trash) that blew over? Thinking of launching a kayak out of Bunche Beach and heading north towards the Punta Rassa point, imagery shows a large strip of beach that wasn't there previously, but I expect to only find debris.

The GF and I are going to take a break from the craziness here and go ahead somewhere for a day this week. Maybe manasota for some shark teeth, how'd the beaches up north fair? Maybe I could convince her to let me do a quick dive in key largo, how's the clarity down there bart?
That sounds like a great idea Ray.
Go out for some mental therapy.
Shark tooth hunting is a great sounding day.
I sure had fun yrs back. No big ones though, but a real obsession for finding them.
20211219_171136.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well Ya better get eating before freezer burn sets in :headbang:
Properly wrapped meats lasts for a few yrs in the freezer.
I found a moose roast once in the bottom of the freezer that was 3yrs old.
No problem.
We sold a few large meat orders to recoup costs.
So the inventory is lower now.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 2049648

Bone handle....im not sure what material it is....I think bone. And square cut copper nail. Both from Corrigan wreck site.

Way off track ,but hey I'll take any memory just about when one gets jogged...

Similar shaped hollow kitchen knives got/get repurposed for muzzleloading .
I have one around here somewheres..

For priming a flintlocks "pan" it only takes a little powder. Just below the touchhole is usually about right.
A plunger type valve (a coiled spring provides the action) for a horns tip or in our case the kitchen knife's handle works good.
Here's a picture of one that tosses 3 grains. The knurled part would be epoxied (beeswaxed or pitched years ago maybe) into place.
11q8hcZmQtL._AC_.jpg

No , don't do that with your piece quite yet as if it's tied to the suspected wreck it would be wrecked in value of original condition recovered in.
But as little shipwreck treasure as I encounter , I'd be wearing or using most recoveries where you are if a few landed here after a visit!
L.O.L...

Voids could be filled if the relic is declared of low value.
Cheapest way by using epoxy with some dark sawdust and maybe a bit of wood ash.
There is an electrical use compound too that might be better. Forgot it's name.
(A better job for Tom Restorer . )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

• ARC