THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It bugs me sometimes.
A life focused on the outdoors from a young age and the success in "cleaner" waters and environments. The rebound of some wobbly species. (deer in the Southern portion of my state for example. Redtailed hawks , eagles with the discontinued use of eggshell softening D.D.T. for pest control.) Some real progress has been made. But the setbacks caused by human "progress" hurts.
Untreated sewage spills by municipalities for one.
Attempts to reclaim polluted waterways stirs up those layers of toxins to float elsewhere. (Former tannery sites. Battery plant are a couple such. Plus the chemical dump from untold sources).

We argue fish here. Which specie affects another's recruitment. Which preys on what in what amount.
Meanwhile the bottom of the food chain is being altered significantly by zebra and quahogs.
Examples where water clarity is great. But the plankton and algae is near as sterile as far remote Northern waters. Minimizing habitat capacity and slowing growth rates. Followed by the affect on recruitment.
Changing age classifications of given waters almost. And the species adapted to them.

Spiney water flea might be the most recent invasive introduced.
Sea lamprey have been a long struggle affecting lake trout. We don't eliminate. Just attempt control through poisoning.
Phragmites and other weeds.
It's a long list.
[ According to National Geographic, more than 180 species with reproductive populations continue to threaten the Great Lakes Basin.]

In prior work I treated discharge waters. Recording discharge amount of ground pumped to closed system cooling system for the E.P.A. on one site.
Raising P.H. from at times around 2.5 to a minimum of 6 before discharge on another with a monitoring device downline in the drain to treatment facility to keep me honest.
Fair enough.
Then I go fishing and see what has been allowed to screw up our environment and native species.

Within all the change and effect there are folks tasked with measuring and bean counting.
Sometimes but certainly not always they are listened to when regulations are made or modified.
Why thier voices get overridden by social concerns unrelated to actual science regarding a habitat or specie's well being......Is where my not being involved in politics comes in.
Yes I have had a hand in regulations involving the disabled hunting. Involving political and state assigned managers of the resource.
That doesn't help the species or environment much though.

When looking at a former life sustaining river and what it is today in such a short amount of change history wise; we as stewards have failed greatly.
Protect only to a point. Then see a crash so unrelated to prior harvest regulations it almost makes no sense other than a delaying tactic in a specie's or an environments (often both) well being plummet.
I'm no tree or bunny hugger. But I'd be the last to target for destruction a failing specie.
Most hunters of varied resources that actually understand thier quarry would.

Trilliums are not allowed to be molested here.
You won't see them where deer exist.
Yet there are communities with unhealthy deer not noticing what disappears long after trilliums that wouldn't have any deer culled. Then debate how to deal with unhealthy overpopulated poor diet deer . Even to the point of sterilizing deer attempts.
An out of balance environment and specie. But that's not the focus in the cement and glass and A.C. jungle and "accidental" sewage overflows where people don't touch the earth or "natural" waters or study it's flora and fauna. Per usual. Just emotion applied in "regulating" the imbalance.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I try to sympathize with many folks making their living fishing, trapping, even hunting. Many times things are misunderstood as far as what they do, how they do it, and the laws regulating their work. That is why I asked the question about Barts Horse Conch.
I don't totally agree on him taking them but if he's not breaking any laws and is conscientious about the viability/health of the resource I can respect his personal choice, although mine would be different.
I think many will agree because it's legal it's not necessarily good. Long Line fishing has decimated the Keys Mahi fishing to the point I don't bother going there anymore. It's legal. I'm an old Florida native and have seen many species collapse while being "legally" harvested.
My fishing buddy was lamenting on how hard it is now to catch decent fish now. I told him what do you expect when you can buy fresh & frozen Grouper, Snapper, & Mahi in almost every grocery store in America? I'm sure these are all caught legally. Figure pollution & habitat loss into the equation & it's no surprise the ocean is suffering decline.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I try to sympathize with many folks making their living fishing, trapping, even hunting. Many times things are misunderstood as far as what they do, how they do it, and the laws regulating their work. That is why I asked the question about Barts Horse Conch.
I don't totally agree on him taking them but if he's not breaking any laws and is conscientious about the viability/health of the resource I can respect his personal choice, although mine would be different.
I think many will agree because it's legal it's not necessarily good. Long Line fishing has decimated the Keys Mahi fishing to the point I don't bother going there anymore. It's legal. I'm an old Florida native and have seen many species collapse while being "legally" harvested.
My fishing buddy was lamenting on how hard it is now to catch decent fish now. I told him what do you expect when you can buy fresh & frozen Grouper, Snapper, & Mahi in almost every grocery store in America? I'm sure these are all caught legally. Figure pollution & habitat loss into the equation & it's no surprise the ocean is suffering decline.
Lots of consumers depend on ocean stocks that are subject to many variables.
Here where I am the pollutants and chemicals in fish have caused advisories to eat little of them.
We get cod and pollack and "ocean perch" here. Zander and other fish get labeled as "perch". which aggravates those in the great lakes area that consider perch the perch we have here.
Though "lake perch' sourced locally are priced around double as much.
Still , a restaurant can charge a high price for "perch' that are not locally sourced. L.o.l..

Mess up the oceans fishery enough , it will have a huge impact on human diets.

Salmon were planted here. Chinook favored the invasive alewives. Thier sizes at maturity are far from what they were early on.
Just one indicator all is not as desired. not only were alewives subject to winter stress some years more than others , the food chain is messed up. Less alewives food. Less prey for certain predatory species.
Introduced species vs native species for niche and diet and reproductive success and survivability at a sustainable rate. Vs government treaty agreements with natives regarding netting , netting harvest rates. And non native commercial fishing's impact.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
s-l500 (1).jpg

No not mine... random picture. ... I wish... (for those who are gonna ask)

Last edited:

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Good morning esteemed pirates! Sorry i have been MIA.. life happens and needed to deal with a situation which has broken our hearts😔… long story short.. but if u have elderly friends or relatives please please make sure they are safe from every angle.. xx we have discovered Himself’s mother has, had all her money stolen by her other son… and there is nothing we can do, the police have investigated but because he had his name put on her accounts the money is gone xx its truely heartbreaking to no what people will do when money is involved xx

So I apologise for being away… the normal Blossom service will now return… xx i have missed u all xx 🤗 🤗 🤗 xxx 💕

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread