THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arthritic complaints. I get loosened up (mostly) after a while.
Ladyfriend bailed after the dogs were fed, (compression fractured vertebrate , I don't blame her for going back to bed.)
Dog poop clean up outside , and dishes while hitting the coffee and keeping the dogs happy are about it for a while. I'll sneak out later for a loaf of bread.
It gets warm enough there's plenty of work waiting outside. It won't get that warm today though. Ha ha.
My day yesterday didn't go as planned. Didn't get to take my metal detector to the coast as my friend made an excuse to not go get it. Upset me more than it should have but I'd not been out in a long time and my hobby helps my mental a lot and I'd looked forward to just a day of just metal detecting the beach and letting my mind unwind. But it got took away so crushed me a bit and just made me not care for the day at all. Ended up being a baby sitter on the boardwalk when they'd go on rides and the littler kids couldn't go. Made me so uncomfortable and stressed. Tis my typical luck though

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My day yesterday didn't go as planned. Didn't get to take my metal detector to the coast as my friend made an excuse to not go get it. Upset me more than it should have but I'd not been out in a long time and my hobby helps my mental a lot and I'd looked forward to just a day of just metal detecting the beach and letting my mind unwind. But it got took away so crushed me a bit and just made me not care for the day at all. Ended up being a baby sitter on the boardwalk when they'd go on rides and the littler kids couldn't go. Made me so uncomfortable and stressed. Tis my typical luck though
Just being on the boardwalk there doesn't sound too bad.

Gotta try to make some luck.
Sometimes scheming it is half the battle.
Or at least a diversion!

Reminds me that I should find my Rapoo headphones and see if they'll still take a charge , it has been so long...
They're the only ones left I didn't wreck . (No cable to snag is a good thing.)

JVA and his detector (baby) under the boardwalk.
Too far for me ; or I'd be wanting to be there!

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just being on the boardwalk there doesn't sound too bad.

Gotta try to make some luck.
Sometimes scheming it is half the battle.
Or at least a diversion!

Reminds me that I should find my Rapoo headphones and see if they'll still take a charge , it has been so long...
They're the only ones left I didn't wreck . (No cable to snag is a good thing.)

JVA and his detector (baby) under the boardwalk.
Too far for me ; or I'd be wanting to be there!

I had just really wanted to metal detect. The rain storms really churned up that beach so older stuff would of been possible to find so I had been excited about that but oh well

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning me hearties! Going to church with friends this morning. I think we have decided to be worship wanderers and visit until we find the one that says, “Home.”
@Bamasteve happy hunting. It does look beautiful today! I will catch up on your videos later, ya know, when it starts raining again. Lol

@WHADIFIND if it ever comes to be that I get to travel around and metal detect with my online friends, you are on the list.
Wouldst that 'T were, milady! Truly of the ilk of fondest of dreams! As always, milady, humbly awaiting thy beck and call.
41fX.gif

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
After church on Sunday, we went out to eat and on the way back to our friends house, we seen an eagle eating a carcass in a farm field. We said our “goodbyes “ and got in our truck and Mr WD said he wanted to go back to see the eagle. We stopped at the corner stop sign and he noticed this lady was hauling out milk cans and putting them on a pile along the road. Looked like she was throwing them away. So we turned right and went to her driveway. Sure enough, this couple are moving and they don’t have time to have a sale, so they are throwing out their stuff. They let us pick some things out and the Mr gave the guy $50.00. They talked about a few other things and we decided that they better check with their son and we would go back today. Their son doesn’t want the stuff so we went back and got a couple more things and the Mr WD gave him $100.00. He asked the guy if it was fair and the guy said more than fair. Mmmm okay. There’s a couple big things , a tobacco planting thing and some big cast iron kettle that supposed to have a fire below and possibly make soap. IDK. Anyway, we may end up with those, also.
We did get to see the eagle, also.

Our $50.00 pick

224C9DF5-21D8-4B19-BB64-871B707B03AC.jpeg

81BF7229-BF50-4DC6-858B-B2A5D4CB0015.jpeg

73881B09-0C9E-456A-BD52-186EBBBF2A74.jpeg

E6B9AB54-FA16-46BC-AFB6-16A46CEC9815.jpeg

A4969988-E626-4E65-B154-2B8D30BC8A59.jpeg

The eagle

2CBB412D-4774-4E80-B38E-7211042C2BB8.jpeg

The $100.00 pick

E839B91B-2502-4CFD-AB52-F3362A4CE1AC.jpeg

54B6C642-48BE-4DB5-A805-2F1D3AA32916.jpeg

And yesterday was my lucky day! I found a clad dime in my field. Woo hoo!

6EC62E43-67C4-41D6-8C29-36FC4004391C.jpeg

Edit: the big kettle thing is a tobacco steamer. Made by The Treaty Company, Greenville, Oh.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
After church on Sunday, we went out to eat and on the way back to our friends house, we seen an eagle eating a carcass in a farm field. We said our “goodbyes “ and got in our truck and Mr WD said he wanted to go back to see the eagle. We stopped at the corner stop sign and he noticed this lady was hauling out milk cans and putting them on a pile along the road. Looked like she was throwing them away. So we turned right and went to her driveway. Sure enough, this couple are moving and they don’t have time to have a sale, so they are throwing out their stuff. They let us pick some things out and the Mr gave the guy $50.00. They talked about a few other things and we decided that they better check with their son and we would go back today. Their son doesn’t want the stuff so we went back and got a couple more things and the Mr WD gave him $100.00. He asked the guy if it was fair and the guy said more than fair. Mmmm okay. There’s a couple big things , a tobacco planting thing and some big cast iron kettle that supposed to have a fire below and possibly make soap. IDK. Anyway, we may end up with those, also.
We did get to see the eagle, also.

Our $50.00 pick

View attachment 2076120

View attachment 2076121

View attachment 2076122

View attachment 2076123

View attachment 2076124

The eagle

View attachment 2076125

The $100.00 pick

View attachment 2076126

View attachment 2076127

And yesterday was my lucky day! I found a clad dime in my field. Woo hoo!

View attachment 2076128

Edit: the big kettle thing is a tobacco steamer. Made by The Treaty Company, Greenville, Oh.
Dang!

I spy a Deere item.
Draw knives are always good.
(You ask about lanterns? muahaahaaha.)

Milk cans sure aren't cheap anymore for good ones.
A friend brought one hunting years ago for water. It didn't freeze.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang!

I spy a Deere item.
Draw knives are always good.
(You ask about lanterns? muahaahaaha.)

Milk cans sure aren't cheap anymore for good ones.
A friend brought one hunting years ago for water. It didn't freeze.
All of this stuff is pretty weathered. I am going to put that renisance (sp?) wax on it. I think? Can I use that on the wood? Will it help save it from getting worse? I’m going to put what I can under the porch roof of the shed. That big yoke is too big. It will either be on the back of the shed or inside. What about that old bird feeder? I think that is super cool. The Mr WD is going to take the sausage stuffer/fruit press and soak it in oil to see if he can get it working. We were pulling out of the driveway and the guy waved us down and handed him the John Deere thing. I’m not sure about that one. Besides, his tractor is a Newholland.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
All of this stuff is pretty weathered. I am going to put that renisance (sp?) wax on it. I think? Can I use that on the wood? Will it help save it from getting worse? I’m going to put what I can under the porch roof of the shed. That big yoke is too big. It will either be on the back of the shed or inside. What about that old bird feeder? I think that is super cool. The Mr WD is going to take the sausage stuffer/fruit press and soak it in oil to see if he can get it working. We were pulling out of the driveway and the guy waved us down and handed him the John Deere thing. I’m not sure about that one. Besides, his tractor is a Newholland.
Pretty weathered. It is that!

Wood on the cheap you can use used motor oil and paint it on , let it soak in and repeat. (with caution as it is not good for you , wear gloves).
Hot days are the best but anytime will do.
I know a guy (not me) that paints his new hunting blinds with used oil to preserve them.
I've read of it being used in chicken coops to keep parasites down. It gets in the cracks good where they can hide/survive a wash down.

Tung oil or linseed oil will work on your wood too , but aren't as cheap.
One will show waterspots. Big deal. I forgot which one. Tung oil maybe.
Linseed oil leaves a nice finish on wood that's still good. Warmed and rubbed in by hand , your hand warms it too. Multiple applications for gunstocks ect. With a day in between. Again hot weather is better , but anytime.

You can use waste oil on the metal too. Worst rust you couldn't scrape off with a flat piece of wood (so not to scratch areas down to bare metal and ruin the patina) should flake off eventually. Leaving a controlled rust layer to oil. If real bad spots dry on the edges before they flake , paint them again.

You're aware of using molasses or coke or vinegar to clean rusty metal.
The cost and containers to submerge in keeps me from doing such.

Nothing says you can't use clean motor oil either. Wear gloves though. Or your old mans gear lube or boat motor lower unit partial bottles instead of engine oil. (Maybe ask him first...)

After wire brushing rusty lantern parts like the burner frames that are often bad and plating gone or mostly gone , I just oil most.
Others get a citric acid bath. Then oiled. Not over cleaning them but getting the loose or built up bad areas smooth.
I haven't used electrolysis on any lantern parts yet. I'm not trying to make them look new. Besides , the lanterns I score are usually rough anyways. I'm just getting them to a preserved and usable state. With some surprises of how much a good clean up does for the worst.

But for all that.... If I had your stuff , knocking the worst rust off and oiling the rusted metal does a good job. Just my opinion though. I do the same on other old rusted items.
A dark finish results. Vs, that fresh light colored rust from air hitting it. Which cleaned off metal will do if we don't oil it.
You see it showing any fresh rust some day , oil it again. A quick wipe with an oily rag. Lint free rag/cloth if you're more picky than me.

Side note , powdery rust scraped off was a substitute for sulfur in blackpowder recipes of old.
(Functioned as a rapid oxidizer. And lowered required ignition temp.)

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Pretty weathered. It is that!

Wood on the cheap you can use used motor oil and paint it on , let it soak in and repeat. (with caution as it is not good for you , wear gloves).
Hot days are the best but anytime will do.
I know a guy (not me) that paints his new hunting blinds with used oil to preserve them.
I've read of it being used in chicken coops to keep parasites down. It gets in the cracks good where they can hide/survive a wash down.

Tung oil or linseed oil will work on your wood too , but aren't as cheap.
One will show waterspots. Big deal. I forgot which one. Tung oil maybe.
Linseed oil leaves a nice finish on wood that's still good. Warmed and rubbed in by hand , your hand warms it too. Multiple applications for gunstocks ect. With a day in between. Again hot weather is better , but anytime.

You can use waste oil on the metal too. Worst rust you couldn't scrape off with a flat piece of wood (so not to scratch areas down to bare metal and ruin the patina) should flake off eventually. Leaving a controlled rust layer to oil. If real bad spots dry on the edges before they flake , paint them again.

You're aware of using molasses or coke or vinegar to clean rusty metal.
The cost and containers to submerge in keeps me from doing such.

Nothing says you can't use clean motor oil either. Wear gloves though. Or your old mans gear lube or boat motor lower unit partial bottles instead of engine oil. (Maybe ask him first...)

After wire brushing rusty lantern parts like the burner frames that are often bad and plating gone or mostly gone , I just oil most.
Others get a citric acid bath. Then oiled. Not over cleaning them but getting the loose or built up bad areas smooth.
I haven't used electrolysis on any lantern parts yet. I'm not trying to make them look new. Besides , the lanterns I score are usually rough anyways. I'm just getting them to a preserved and usable state. With some surprises of how much a good clean up does for the worst.

But for all that.... If I had your stuff , knocking the worst rust off and oiling the rusted metal does a good job. Just my opinion though. I do the same on other old rusted items.
A dark finish results. Vs, that fresh light colored rust from air hitting it. Which cleaned off metal will do if we don't oil it.
You see it showing any fresh rust some day , oil it again. A quick wipe with an oily rag. Lint free rag/cloth if you're more picky than me.

Side note , powdery rust scraped off was a substitute for sulfur in blackpowder recipes of old.
(Functioned as a rapid oxidizer. And lowered required ignition temp.)
Thank you 😊 I know and have used some of those methods. Yep. I have my summer plans now. Lol. Umm… should you be bored this summer……

Surf_Pirate

Life's Short - Dig Deep
Mar 31, 2013
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Morning Mates..... May your treasures be great and your worries sail away with the wind... Love this Pic ARC... :coffee2: 🏴‍☠️ SURF_PIRATE 🏴‍☠️

Attachments

• IMG_6929.jpg
    IMG_6929.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread