THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might truly be the castaway with your treasure tale.....unknown players survive an unknown wreck, and crash ashore in a long boat in heavy surf (its always rough surf here) and are broken and killed in the surf, and the treasure is lost in the sand on impact !! Thats the feeling I get sitting there holding a gold dabloon listening to the wind and surf.....just disentagrateing iron, gold and silver coins left !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not.....I have found a map called the tantall map that looks very similar to the survey on the bermuda map that ARC posted. Many names and land holders in bermuda were also players on long Island early on. I have a name, and am researching more about the former land holder from 1783 !! There may or may not be a correlation to the treasure......more exciting is an anomaly in the surrounding dunes, that I see no where else on long island.....it may be ancient disturbed earth .... there could be a deep cache !!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 2088045
57 or 58 have been found that I know of between different people !! Some with the same design but twice the weight and size !! Johana.....Portuguese gold minted in Rio de jenero, and then lost or pirated in the bahamian out islands......who lost this much gold, how much is still there, and how much silver was lost too. Why did no one else save it or rescue it ? Was it a disaster? Was it buried, was it lost in a shipwreck? How come there's so many different types of money ? Was it common practice to have spanish and Portuguese money together? How could so many years of coinage be accumulated in one cache, a cut pillar dollar dated 1732, 1747 gold, and 1776 bust 8 reale !! and who transports cut pieces too. Only other evidence on site is square iron fasteners, and a small grapnel anchor. So many more questions in this treasure cache.....im gonna try and go back and really dig in to it.....literally!!☠️☠️☠️

Ya. Stay in the corn. Sounds saner...

Small craft between ship and shore used the grapnel?
Not knowing what the ship was doing , and it's shore crew(s)...
Yet fishing objects can be done with a grapnel. Or with a grapple. Which may have less arms to grip with. Or may not.
Or someone could go nuts and try using a grapnel as an anchor.

The money dates around 44 years span outlived a few mens ages. Maybe a lot of mens.
Going ashore for water (keep your site hidden and no need to indicate fresh water or not would allow dropping anything from the ship while there.
Hunting. Burials. Whatever crews do ashore .
Deliberate cache of a bunch of coin?
Easy enough for me to not make it back. Heck you l know I can't use a map South of Florida (o.k. S.E.) until told what is is. l.o.l..
And that's if a return was possible.
death is pretty firm about ending wanderings at sea.
Mostly.
Politics before during and following wars too. And there were many wars.
Allies today , enemies tomorrow.

The mix of coin and timespan.
A mix? Sure. Travels and realms and what covers the most bases by region(s).
But much of a mix in age in appreciable numbers hints of a luxury of accumulation. A rich man could live on site. Why not? Or could squirrel there. But why.
Not to be confused with an individual serfs lifetime of a coin or two added at intervals.
A church? A tax revenue somehow not rapidly spent on war or defense ?
A ship or individuals upon it's accumulated plunder from other sources?
A whole crew voluntarily divesting risk of evidence makes little sense not knowing who would or could return.

Too high a count to be casual loss misplaced during a cache recovery .
Unless washed from unrecovered prior recovery (or no prior recovery) site into pockets of rock ect. ...i have to picture several cookie jars on shore. And for whatever reason additions to them.
Unless the recovery trend has shown coins are random and not associated with deliberate location.

Still your wreckers to consider. hard to imagine that much coin left ashore ; if ashore after.
A temporary hide and the entire wrecker crew wiped out? A reach. as much as an original crew securing coin ect. after a wreck or going aground or ashore for whatever reason and then being silenced after.
Pursued late in the day and going ashore for weakness/slow speed conditions or poor hope of evasion?
Caught by an enemy or pirate while careening a ship and no one divulged where the coin was?
Still brings us back to the span of coin ages.
Money houses or equivalent in ports and banks and business account cash holders back then I don't study. Good silver or gold is good though. (My former coin guy might say so anyways.)

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_20230607_071124_Maps.jpg
and then 65 miles away on another island....BOOM.....a honest to god shipwreck 230 feet or less from an eyeballed gold chain section !!
Again the questions !!....... how old, how big, and what type of boat is this ?? Can an ancient treasure bearing wreck remain that well preserved, or is it a haiten smack from modern times wrecked on an ancient spot. Is it bow inshore, or off shore. If there was gold found close by....could it be related, or coincidence?? Was the gold found for certain?? 98% certain it was there or within a hundred feet. Could 2 wrecks be on top of each other....yes. looks to be 2 hatches forward and aft ?? Double masted, triple masted ? Maybe square rig ? Is that another part of the wreck in the water against the rocks right under my treasure mark....possible keel ?? Lots and lots of questions!! Logistics are not simple for this one and involve multi day journeys, and fuel bills !!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Might truly be the castaway with your treasure tale.....unknown players survive an unknown wreck, and crash ashore in a long boat in heavy surf (its always rough surf here) and are broken and killed in the surf, and the treasure is lost in the sand on impact !! Thats the feeling I get sitting there holding a gold dabloon listening to the wind and surf.....just disentagrateing iron, gold and silver coins left !!
You slap me through a rough enough surf and landing following a wreck , ending up on a remote site , coins might not matter as much as how to survive and get out of there. IF I could risk being caught with that kind of coin for whatever reason.
Yes it would be nice to be able to afford passage. But a small pile of gold could create the wrong attention just as easy. Just by being outnumbered and another ships log not having to account for your being aboard her.
Sure , hop aboard with your big value purse! Welcome.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Stumbled upon some Indian mounds in Dunnellon yesterday. The first ones were small, then I came to one that was almost 50' high and had an old observation platform on top overlooking the river. View attachment 2088129 View attachment 2088131 View attachment 2088132 View attachment 2088133 View attachment 2088134 View attachment 2088135 View attachment 2088136 View attachment 2088137
I didn't know those were there. Next time I'm near the area I will visit them. Rainbow Springs nearby is a nice place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

• Latest Discussions