THE RAVEN Long Range VLF Receiver by TREASURE SCOPE

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
So I got my hands on a like new RAVEN Long Range VLF Receiver by TREASURE SCOPE. Never used one or even seen one in person before. As happens from time to time, when someone knows your a "Treasure Hunter" these types of things tend to gravitate towards you. A guy I work with brought it to me to figure out. His father bought it probably 20 years ago but never really used it. He bought it on the advice of his brother and cousin who both had one and located several valuable finds in Mexico. His dad never went down there and now I am looking at it in my living room complete with 1oz silver test round. The manual/instructions lack a few details but are easy enough to understand. It must have been built locally because the phone number is my same area code, maybe I will give it a ring... They are still for sale ($1,600!) so possibly the builder will answer, who knows? I just have it on indefinite loan and would never spend $1,600 to try one but have to admit I am a little excited to give it a try. As with any VLF I guess I need to be as far as possible away from large metal objects and electromatic interference when I try it out. I don't really know what to expect or when I will have the time to test it out. Any experience, tips, advice, stories are welcomed!

ETA: Did some research. Read about Carl's history with Jim Thomas. The manual actually has a $150 repair receipt signed by Jim Thomas and he lives 5 minutes from where I work. I have always been skeptical of dowsing rods, even the electronic versions, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't give one a free test drive given the opportunity. Last thing I want is to argue about or rehash what's already be said. Still open to learning anything I can about this receiver.

Attachments

• IMG_20211015_105556374.jpg
    IMG_20211015_105556374.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 118
Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasurenow sells them. They would be the ones to ask. As for how to use a swivel handle locator, plan on a long learning curve. My opinion most people never learn. You gotta have a burning desire to learn and stick with it. I suggest practice with a test target in your yard no more than twenty minutes a couple times a day for several weeks. The main problem people have is they think too much. It is essential that you stay detached. The energies are very subtle and any mental activity can drown it out. I know Carl put it down, but he can't use a locator so I wouldn't put much creedence in that. Sure, the price is inflated (basically an AM receiver and a swivel handle) so don't go by that as an indicator of how good it is.

Reactions: RW

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, are you making any headway? It's hard to learn. You have to keep your conscious mind out of the equation. I pick a spot to look at out in front of me several yards. This takes my mind off of it, sort of a distraction. One of the big problems people have is controlling the rod. It's not easy to get away from this but the distraction technique is easy enough. People want to cheat--to peek at it. The whole thing is like pulling yourself up by your bootstraps. Just have to go through the motions until you don't have to think about it. Some people cannot overcome their negativity/skepticism. Feel free to send me a private message. I think I can help.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RW, the Raven I have has an AM radio inside it. There's a report about it on my web site. Pop it open and take a look, maybe yours is a newer FM radio version.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw where old timers would set an AM radio to an empty space on the dial and walk around searching for mineral zones or fault line while listening for some change in the background static. According to a guy who biulds locators, there is a formula to find the receiver frequency depending on the frequency of nearby powerful radio station and what you are searching for.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a side note, some dowsers can tune to a station an an AM radio that is turned off. I guess that wouldn't work too well with digital tuning but the old radios with the tuning dial is what they used.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what frequencies the Raven uses. You don't need a AM radio on a swivel handle--just set a radio on the ground and walk around it with a set of L-rods and adjust until you find where it hits on your target. Or if you have the dial settings from the Raven it would be easy to extrapolate. LIke I've said I am not a fan of those hand-held locators.

Christopher Hills discussed something like this in his book "Supersensonics" from the year 1975.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread