The ring and its owner.

kbmetald

May 11, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Well, as I promised, here is one of what I'm sure will be many posts of my experiences metal detecting.
In August 1996 I was in Georgia for two weeks for some training at Robins AFB. I brought my detector to fill in the time when I wasn't in class. In the two weeks I was there I made some awesome finds.
Driving around I noticed that there was some construction being done in front of a school. The sidewalk had been completely removed. I knew this was a very small window of opportunity and parked the car for some quick detecting. I scanned the whole length of where the side walk had once been and the detector remained silent until I only had about a foot of available dirt left. My XLT sang out nickel at 1 inch. I dug and pulled out a nice 1908 V nickel, at that time it was my first. Little did I know this trip would be loaded with firsts.
I noticed an older church near the hotel I was staying at and decide to give it a try. I didn't find anything old but I pulled out a huge gold college ring. (Another first). The year on the ring was 1977 and there were initials on it. The college was about 30 miles away and I had less than 2 weeks to track the owner down but I would give it that ol’ college try. I made a call to the alumni office of the college and explained why I was calling. They were very helpful and told me that there was only one individual that graduated in that year with those initials. They gave me this persons last known address but they did not have a phone number. More research for me.
In between class and tracking down the owner of the ring I continued detecting all over the local area. I drove to the Macon County fairgrounds and put the detector down along the cement like dirt covering the fairgrounds (did I mention it was August). I pulled out a merc dime, a silver Rosy, and a dropped civil war bullet (another first). I knew that General Sherman and his troops had marched through the area on the way to Savanna and I could only imagine that one of the solders had dropped the bullet along the way. I thought it was extremely neat.
Back to the ring; I found the phone number after searching through a few phone books and made the call. A woman answered and I explained why I was calling. After I told her she sounded excited and called to her husband who was the owner of the ring. I only had one more day left of my stay so we set up a meeting at the hotel. I was excited to be returning the ring to its rightful owner. When the couple arrived I stood patiently in the lobby with a big smile on my face. I looked around for a camera crew and a reporter for the local paper hopping that maybe the owner was as excited as I was and wanted to have the ring reunion in the news, but that was not the case.
We made our introductions and I presented the ring. The woman leaned over and said “He doesn't even remember getting a ring.” I looked over at the husband and noticed he wasn't smiling like I was. It was infectious because the smile on my face was fading as well. I told them that the college assured me that you were the only person to graduate in ’77 with those initials and then I asked him if he did indeed graduate from that college. He said yes. Then I said well then this is your ring. He seemed to take the ring reluctantly. I was taken aback by the whole thing. I told him I spent a lot of time tracking him down to return the ring. He reached into his wallet and handed me ten dollars. Now I was incensed. I almost threw the ten back at him and wanted to tell him what to do with his ring. I didn't care about the money, I wanted to see an excited ring owner ecstatic about being united with a long lost friend. I wanted a thank you with a big huge handshake with a bunch of “wow, I can't believe you found it!” But I didn't get any of that. Needless to say I didn't think it was a good experience. Whenever I see a picture in the news paper with two big smiling faces captured around the headline “MAN FINDS RING, REUNITES WITH OWNER”, I get a little jealous.

The dime in the picture with the ring is just for size. It's not the silver Rosy I found, that is in the bottom picture with the ten dollars I kept from the ring owner. All the other objects are the culmination of 2 weeks of detecting.

HH,

Ken

Attachments

• ken and ring (2).jpg
    ken and ring (2).jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 265
  • ken and ring 2 (2).jpg
    ken and ring 2 (2).jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 251
  • Ken and ring 3 (2).jpg
    Ken and ring 3 (2).jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 252
  • Ken and ring 4 (2).jpg
    Ken and ring 4 (2).jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 259
  • Ken and ring 5 (2).jpg
    Ken and ring 5 (2).jpg
    59 KB · Views: 264

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least you did the right thing by finding the owner to return the ring. Though after that experience I can see where some newbies would say ya should have kept it. I've returned quite a few rings. Some I didn't even get a thank you or the smile, they just grabbed it and ran. Others you get tears and hugs that make up for all the idiots of the world.

But what I wanna know is why do I get kissed on the cheek by guys and babes shake my hand......... :D

al-nm

May 8, 2008
new mexico
Detector(s) used
6000xlpro
Maybe he tossed the ring when he broke up with his now wifes sister LOL could be he is taking a lot of heat right now.... Hope thats the case maybe it will make you feel a bit better. In any case you did the right thing finding him. You just proved your the better person so you win either way. good hunting keep it up!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Ken, good story & pix. Thanx for posting it. I know that some people will post that you should be totally satisfied with your good deed, even though you had an ingrate on your hands. But here's my take:

Your hoped for reunion scene describes the very reason we get into this hobby to begin with. It's human nature to love a mystery and solve a mystery, right? That's why we probably all subconsciously muse "I wonder how this got here?" or... "I wonder who lost this?" or... "How did this get all the way here from Europe?" or whatever applies. To put a face on history is half the fun, right? And the monetary gain is only a small part of the fun. Kind of like fishing: The strategy and competition is all the fun, but the money saved by not having to buy fish from the store is way low on the list of reasons why guys like fishing ::)

So to apply that to your ring, I can understand why the "story" aspect of the thrill of the hunt, was deflated upon meeting the ingrateful guy. You weren't looking for any reward, but just a simple sincere "wow!" or whatever. I mean, that's no different than what we teach kindergartners to do: Say thankyou, please, your welcome, etc... Without a "thankyou" or even a story to attach to it, it's almost as if you spent all that time, searched and dug all those hours in your hobby, for an absolute zero.

Fortunately, your story is in the minority. The majority do have a happy ending. Like one I got from a lady who lost her class ring in the mid 1960s: She related how she and her boyfriend snuck off into the dunes at the night-time beach bonfire class graduation party, to ... uh ... "star gaze" :-* Somehow she lost her ring, and considered it gone forever. She was able to buy another class ring to replace it, in time for graduation, and never gave the matter another thought. Just the story of the how she lost the ring, and her recollection of the beach party, etc... was fun just to connect to this ring that washes out of the dunes in a storm 30 years later.

Some of the minority stories of ingrates DO cause some people to swear off ever returning class rings though. I even had a friend who .... upon tracking down a class ring's owner, got a visit from the POLICE at his front door! Turns out the ring had been stolen in a home robbery, and now this "finder" was suspect. This friend of mine had to do some fancy fast-talking to explain to the police it was found with a detector. They thought he was not some kind of extortion artist. The police listened to his story, probably thinking "yeah sure guy, that's what they all say". They ended up taking the ring from him, and left. Presumably the police gave it back to the owner. My friend never even got a thankyou, no thankyou, or kiss my *ss in return. For weeks, he wasn't sure if he was still suspect, and would face further legal inquiries, or something. From then on, when that friend of mine ever found any other class rings, he made no attempt to return them. He just saved them with his other scrap gold for melt value.

So I can see it going both ways. But fortunately, the good stories out-weigh the bad ones.

DZNZ

May 14, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Silver UMax
Wow. Some ppl are just ungrateful. I mean, he can't recall the ring but he meets you to pick it up? Sounds like a load.

Next time, call him and tell him you got his ring in a vice and will do unspeakable things to it if he does not justly compensate you.

OP
OP
kbmetald

kbmetald

May 11, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Please keep in mind that this did happen 12 years ago. I have had a few opportunities to return rings since then, most with happy endings, but those are stories for another time. :)

Ken

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only one I found I tracked down the owner with help from the local newspaper that wanted to do a story on it. The owner was the only one that graduated that year with the initials that was in the ring. He said it wasn't his and didn't want to be bothered. So, I still have it as I didn't want to bother him! Go figure? Monty

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I wnt to know how you keep your knees so clean??? ;D

OP
OP
kbmetald

kbmetald

May 11, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Erikk, I use one of the foam knee pads you get at the garden section of the store. It only costs like $2.00 and they are as light as a feather.

Ken

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
kbmetald said:
Erikk, I use one of the foam knee pads you get at the garden section of the store. It only costs like $2.00 and they are as light as a feather.

Ken

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions