The Robert and Sarah Morriss Story

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
wonder if this is the same Sarah Morriss?

Screenshot 2020-02-10 at 7.07.21 PM.png
1 S
https://www.google.com/books/editio...c=frontcover&bsq=sarah morris robert mitchell

same 2 Ss
https://books.google.com/books?id=Hh43AAAAIAAJ&pg=PP11#v=onepage&q=morriss&f=false

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have to do some digging on Robert Mitchell

No need cw0909, That is the correct Sarah Morris. Robert Mitchell was her father. Robert Mitchell Sr. that is. Robert Mitchell Jr. was Robert Morris' brother in law. Sarah's brother Adam married Robert Morris' sister. That is one great find of historical hunting.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes but your paste by ECS says that none of those mentioned in the pamphlet were kin to Robert Morriss.
He even goes as far as saying Robert Morriss was no kin to Robert Morris, Signer of the DOI. All of this is false.
Does ECS have the genealogy of Robert Morriss? No!
Well I do and I can say categorically ECS is Dead Wrong.
Well I can say this is another time Franklin was proven wrong with posted misinformation while claiming I was "Dead Wrong".

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you sure it was built new in 1905 or was it renovated in 1905.
The front of the building looks much older.
The books on Robert Morriss did say that he built the brick home at the head of Main Street also.
It is decked out with Masonic Symbolism. As it has 8's, 7's, 3's and 5's on the decorations.
There were two master masons living in Robert Morriss' Home after he removed from there in 1823.
There is also someone or others that lived there earlier but I am keeping that part to myself for right now.
It may lead to an entirely different treasure.
Yes, the Academy of Fine Arts was built in 1905 with funds donated by Richard D Apperson.
In 1911, afire destroyed the interior, bur was restored in 1912 by a group headed by Charles Guggenheimer.
As for others living there that involve another treasure is some more highly unlikely misinformation.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklin,

Thanks for the kind words but your BS alarm just went off! :laughing7:

I realize my research has a very narrow focus and I am simply trying to chip away on one corner or the Beale story. My research certainly doesn?t reach the level of ?most informative for several years?. There are several of you guys who are miles ahead of me but I appreciate the thought.

I previously wrote; ?Robert Morriss may not have died in Lynchburg at all but died in Bedford County and given the time period may well have been buried there.?

From Robert Morriss? obituary we have the following statement; ?DIED ? On Saturday, 3d January, 1863, at Roslin, the residence of his niece, Mrs. David Saunders?

This seems to beg the question; ?where? or ?what? is Roslin?

It has been suggested that it may have been a street in Lynchburg. There is a street on present day maps named Roslyn Place in Lynchburg.

I always had trouble with this explanation. The newspaper writer used the preposition ?at? instead of ?on? and he would have misspelled Roslyn. It made no sense to me to describe the location of death on a street. Joe Doe died ?at? Maple Street?

This is undocumented speculation but I believe ?Roslin? may refer to either David and Anzoletta?s home or property in Bedford County. Country Gentlemen frequently had names for their residences and it would not be unusual, given their background, for this to be the case for David and Anzoletta.

If this is the case, the Bedford County Deed Records or David?s Probate might reveal a name and a more detailed location for the property. (Fantasizing: We might be able to add another piece of the Morriss puzzle, exactly where he died?)

Garry

Robert Morris may very well have died at Roslin and you would be correct. But more than likely he was buried beside his wife Sarah Mitchell Morris and she was buried at Hunter's Hill. That is why I have tried to get an archaeological dig at the Ward Cemetery. But the landowner will not yield. And this cemetery of the Ward Family is in grave danger of being excavated over and no one will ever know where it was located. I now have a gps and I plan on getting up to date gps readings for the graves I have found. One grave included is James Beverly Ward, Jr. Things are going to start getting real exciting soon.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the first original Deed to the property where the Washington Inn was later built. Drove 250 miles but it was worth it.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jhonnz41, I drove by the courthouse where the Deeds were located you needed. But I did not have the time to stop and search. Maybe next time.

jhonnz41

May 4, 2020
Philippines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jhonnz41, I drove by the courthouse where the Deeds were located you needed. But I did not have the time to stop and search. Maybe next time.

Thank you so much sir Franklin, maybe next time.

Sir, How about this message of Thomas Beale to Andrew Jackson, March 6, 1815?
If only there's a way to compare penmanship with the original letters addressed to Mr. Morris.

Thomas Beale to andrew Jackson march 6 1815.gif

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much sir Franklin, maybe next time.

Sir, How about this message of Thomas Beale to Andrew Jackson, March 6, 1815?
If only there's a way to compare penmanship with the original letters addressed to Mr. Morris.

View attachment 1931875

I have a copy of that letter and some other letters. That Thomas Beale, Sr. was the Recorder of Deeds and Wills in New Orleans. He nor his son made any trips to Bedford County, Virginia in 1819 nor in 1821.

This may interest you. The first owners of the property in Lynchburg, Va. where the Washington Inn later stood were married into the Johnson Family.

Last edited:

jhonnz41

May 4, 2020
Philippines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may interest you. The first owners of the property in Lynchburg, Va. where the Washington Inn later stood were married into the Johnson Family.

This information is new to me. Castleton Johnson is really interesting, here is some data that I found about him.

Born on 1790 in Botetourt County Virginia, he is the oldest son of John and Penelope Johnson. At the age of 22, he left home to serve in the War of 1812 as private soldier in a company attached to the Battalion of Artillery in the 38th Regiment. He was on active duty from January to April, 1814, when he was honorably discharged in Norfolk, Virginia.

He returned home and on December 21, 1819, married Nancy Eubank, daughter of John and Sarah Eubank of Botetourt County. They settled in Botetourt County in the Peaks of Otter area where he began to farm. It was here on October 13, 1820, that John Therone Johnson, their son who was to be the first owner of the Johnson farm on Harkening Hill, was born.

The year he went home and settled at Peaks of Otter area is interesting. Did he purchase that land on that year? or Did someone gave it to him? I wonder why they already settled in the peaks area before it was purchased by their son John Therone in 1850s.

There is too much coincidence in the timeline and the message using first voyage.

Castleton Johnson arrival December 21, 1819
Harkening Hill purchase 1819
Dislodged Boulder at Sharptop July 4, 1820

I still could not verify the ownership of Johnson Ancestral Home that fits the description as the home of "Divine Majesty", which I think was Elizabeth Wood Smith, the only structure that clearly stands out from the rest. In the message, she lived with Indians and in page 3 she was called as "Indies Queen", is that the reason why their home is unique? because Indians home is only a hut/tent or something smaller?

And the ownership of the land beside it which is the Johnson - Dooley farm, I don't know who owned it.

Last edited:

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
went through old notes, an decided i would look again for Roslin. looked @ library of virginia
here are some links to reference of a Roslin tract in Chesterfield County, va. with names most
are index entries.
from the poster looking for how (i forget what doc from scotland)got here i thought this entry
interesting
https://lva.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/permalink/01LVA_INST/altrmk/alma990016959780205756

the searches were in everything

search links for Roslin tract
https://lva.primo.exlibrisgroup.com...stitution_noAER&vid=01LVA_INST:01LVA&offset=0

search for Roslin
https://lva.primo.exlibrisgroup.com...stitution_noAER&vid=01LVA_INST:01LVA&offset=0

i skimmed for names on a few of the maps, didnt see any from the lva search,or the word Roslin
im just busy so didnt look that hard maybe tomorrow when i get back ill look more
maps of
Chesterfield County, va.
https://www.loc.gov/search/?in=&q=Chesterfield+County,+virginia+map&new=true&st=

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
went through old notes, an decided i would look again for Roslin. looked @ library of virginia
here are some links to reference of a Roslin tract in Chesterfield County, va. with names most
are index entries.
from the poster looking for how (i forget what doc from scotland)got here i thought this entry
interesting
https://lva.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/permalink/01LVA_INST/altrmk/alma990016959780205756

the searches were in everything

search links for Roslin tract

search for Roslin

i skimmed for names on a few of the maps, didnt see any from the lva search,or the word Roslin
im just busy so didnt look that hard maybe tomorrow when i get back ill look more
maps of
Chesterfield County, va.
https://www.loc.gov/search/?in=&q=Chesterfield+County,+virginia+map&new=true&st=

I have already found Roslin and Hunter's Hill and the Ward Cemetery. Not able to get access to properties. Also the brick tavern that became the Washington Inn was built before 1819 and the property was first purchased before 1800.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread