Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
In the Holmes Manuscript, part of the directions given for the path to Waltz’s mine, talk about a rock man:

“Where the trail turns south you will see over the point of a ridge a rock standing in the brush that looks like a man”.

The consensus seems to be that we may never know what this actually is/was .... or if it still exists today.

That does not mean there are not rock formations that could fit .... just not really any way to know is all.

Here is a photograph that was taken looking over the Point of a ridge from the trail below, at a rock formation.

E5E70BAC-E70E-4CF5-ADEB-0814A48356F8.jpeg

It would be interesting to see pictures of other “rock men” if anybody has one or so they would be willing to share 😁👍

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Ps - his left eye, nose, and mouth are easily seen, but since he is looking right at the camera, his right eye is also visible in the shaded part of the face.

To me he looks like a Bigfoot 😁

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
In Holmes version it also says
The Dutchman rode over and carved eyes into the man in the rock… so that mountain pic makes it very unlikely….
Hello RK, I was hoping for pictures of more rock guys 😃
If you have access to Holmes Manuscript, can you take a screenshot, and posts copy, or maybe some quoted text from it, would be nice to know the actual wording 😉
Thanks rk

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello RK, I was hoping for pictures of more rock guys 😃
If you have access to Holmes Manuscript, can you take a screenshot, and posts copy, or maybe some quoted text from it, would be nice to know the actual wording 😉
Thanks rk
I was hoping Rk would come back with chapter and verse ….. I never said the photo above was “THE” rock man of the manuscript. Merely showing “A” rock man, and hoping to see more from you all. 😀

The trail that the picture was taken from is Boulder Canyon trail ….. after the trail turns south …… the 2nd time. 🥸
Still doesn’t mean it is the right rock man, especially if the pick marks for eyes come into play.
I heard about the pick marks for eyes before, but the poster, if I remember right, did not recall where they had seen it.
The reference for the pick marks would be good to know. 🤓

The rock man may have been destroyed, but if he is still out there and intact, then the pick marks would make a difference for finding potential candidates for that clue.

Does anyone know the reference, that would be willing to share?
Sincerely,
Idahodutch

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Howdy,

Pick marks inside a mine can last forever, but I don't know if they would even look like pick marks after more than 130 years of weathering?
If pick marks for eyes are really a good clue, (could be … IDK) then a person would need to be able to access the eyes relatively easy, as if they were to be making the marks themself.

I get the impression from the pick marks clue, that if true, it may have been more an activity done out of being alone out there, or boredom …… except for potential hostile attacks, that would feel right to me.
In my mind, there could be a clash between those two frames of mind though……… not saying the clue isn’t a good one, only hashing over considerations out loud 🤓
It doesn’t look like the eyes of my “big foot” we’re pick made…

So the clue has Waltz directing Holmes along a military trail ….. so if the military trail is along the canyon floor, and the rock man is visible by looking over the point of a ridge, then not a small rock man, but could be a bigger one, if accessible with pick in hand…… if the pick clue is a good one.
Another way to view the rock man over point of a ridge, from the trail, is if the trail is going along near the point of the ridge …and after the trail turns to the south.

I am having a hard time pairing up Boulder trail with the latter scenario …..
The North/South part is along the canyon floor.

I’m also having difficulty picturing a rock man that is smaller ….. like elephant size, that could be viewable from the canyon floor, but is located beyond a ridge…

Again, just thoughts.
Other productive thoughts are welcome.
Pics are welcome too 😁

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If pick marks for eyes are really a good clue, (could be … IDK) then a person would need to be able to access the eyes relatively easy, as if they were to be making the marks themself.

I get the impression from the pick marks clue, that if true, it may have been more an activity done out of being alone out there, or boredom …… except for potential hostile attacks, that would feel right to me.
In my mind, there could be a clash between those two frames of mind though……… not saying the clue isn’t a good one, only hashing over considerations out loud 🤓
It doesn’t look like the eyes of my “big foot” we’re pick made…

So the clue has Waltz directing Holmes along a military trail ….. so if the military trail is along the canyon floor, and the rock man is visible by looking over the point of a ridge, then not a small rock man, but could be a bigger one, if accessible with pick in hand…… if the pick clue is a good one.
Another way to view the rock man over point of a ridge, from the trail, is if the trail is going along near the point of the ridge …and after the trail turns to the south.

I am having a hard time pairing up Boulder trail with the latter scenario …..
The North/South part is along the canyon floor.

I’m also having difficulty picturing a rock man that is smaller ….. like elephant size, that could be viewable from the canyon floor, but is located beyond a ridge…

Again, just thoughts.
Other productive thoughts are welcome.
Pics are welcome too 😁
Howdy Idahodutch,
You are correct, an eye made just by a pick mark would not even be noticeable from the trail if it's over the point of a ridge. He not only worked on the eyes, but also the nose, and mouth.
Just one eye of my find is 15 feet across shaped like a real eye, so yeah, he can be seen from where the trail turns South, over the point of a brushy ridge. I don't need to send you a picture, just look for Waltz's picture, they look the same. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
In the Holmes Manuscript, part of the directions given for the path to Waltz’s mine, talk about a rock man:

“Where the trail turns south you will see over the point of a ridge a rock standing in the brush that looks like a man”.

The consensus seems to be that we may never know what this actually is/was .... or if it still exists today.

That does not mean there are not rock formations that could fit .... just not really any way to know is all.

Here is a photograph that was taken looking over the Point of a ridge from the trail below, at a rock formation.

View attachment 2015791

It would be interesting to see pictures of other “rock men” if anybody has one or so they would be willing to share 😁👍
So ….. testing the clue.
Waltz said after the trail turns south, and after seeing the rock man over a ridge, to turn to the left (east) and will come to a saddle.
Imagine that…. You actually come to a saddle …..
Is there another rock man out there, I have no doubt that there are many. But not many will lead you to the mine. 👍

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So ….. testing the clue.
Waltz said after the trail turns south, and after seeing the rock man over a ridge, to turn to the left (east) and will come to a saddle.
Imagine that…. You actually come to a saddle …..
Is there another rock man out there, I have no doubt that there are many. But not many will lead you to the mine. 👍
Only one leads to the mine, but you have to follow all the directions from start to finish to find the right clues. Even the "missing" directions come in handy, but you don't just turn left, and end up on a saddle, unless you were leading your horse for a while. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Only one leads to the mine, but you have to follow all the directions from start to finish to find the right clues. Even the "missing" directions come in handy, but you don't just turn left, and end up on a saddle, unless you were leading your horse for a while. :laughing7:
Good morning Homar,
Yes, you are correct; there is another clue after leaving the trail to go left …. and coming to a saddle.
We are to follow up the long ridge.

So when we go to the left of the trail, we are starting up the long ridge, that we are to follow, and then will come to a saddle.

There are 2 ridges that head off to the left of Boulder Trail, after it turns to the south.
Both ridges can lead to the same saddle……. if one continues 😜

We may never know if Waltz’s rock man is still there, but there are rock men to be seen near both ends of that south running section of Boulder Canyon.

Waltz most likely would be going the easiest way. I suppose things like how much water was flowing in Boulder Creek.
As long as Boulder trail was passable, it sure seems an easier hike to continue on Boulder trail, south passed 2nd spot where it turns south, and then over. However, that’s just some speculations on my part 🤓

It does sound like either way, there needs to be a long ridge heading off to the left, when the rock man could be viewed. 👍

fisherman1

Greenie
Oct 17, 2011
SW Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about the large earthquake that happened in 1887, any visible type rock formations could have been destroyed. Sorry if this has been discussed before, I didn’t do a search before posting

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, you are correct; there is another clue after leaving the trail to go left and coming to a saddle. We are to follow up the long ridge. So when we go to the left of the trail, we are starting up the long ridge that we are to follow, and then will come to a saddle.

There are two ridges that head off to the left of Boulder Trail after it turns to the south. Both ridges can lead to the same saddle if one continues?

We may never know if Waltz's rock man is still there, but there are rock men to be seen near both ends of that south running section of Boulder Canyon.

Waltz most likely would be going the easiest way. I suppose things like how much water was flowing in Boulder Creek. As long as Boulder trail was passable, it sure seems an easier hike to continue on Boulder trail, south passed second spot where it turns south, and then over. However, that's just some speculation on my part.

It does sound like either way, there needs to be a long ridge heading off to the left, when the rock man could be viewed. -- Idahodutch

I'm not much of a believer in the LDM "clues." At best, I can accept some as part fact amply mixed with fiction. Taking the "clues" that Idahodutch refers to, I can apply them in a general way to some topography near Boulder Canyon: the head of a rock man, two ridges, and a saddle between the two ridges. This is just an example of how a little imagination can match the topography of one location to the "clues." Other people, using their own imaginations, can be successful in matching many more locations to the "clues." By the way, once the saddle in these GE images is crossed over, a tiny "valley" is arrived at, nestled among the surrounding high points. I would more accurately call the "valley" a rincon, which is described in another of the "clues."

002.png

003.png

004.png

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
What about the large earthquake that happened in 1887, any visible type rock formations could have been destroyed. Sorry if this has been discussed before, I didn’t do a search before posting
Fisherman1,
Yes, it has been discussed, that 1887 earthquake could certainly have made unrecognizable, Waltz’s rock man.

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
While the 1887 earthquake did some damage, it did leave vertically balanced rocks intact. See the GE image below for such a rock at the mouth of the ravine north of the ravine with the "head of a rock man" shown in my previous post. Use GE to explore that ravine with the vertical rock and you should notice what looks like a distinct trail leading up the ravine. Sometimes the trail joins with the natural drainage arroyo at the bottom of the ravine. Follow the trail all the way up the ravine and notice where it ends. It seems to terminate near Deering and Squaw Canyons, not far from the supposed Peralta base camp.

006.png

008.png

009.png

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While the 1887 earthquake did some damage, it did leave vertically balanced rocks intact. See the GE image below for such a rock at the mouth of the ravine north of the ravine with the "head of a rock man" shown in my previous post. Use GE to explore that ravine with the vertical rock and you should notice what looks like a distinct trail leading up the ravine. Sometimes the trail joins with the natural drainage arroyo at the bottom of the ravine. Follow the trail all the way up the ravine and notice where it ends. It seems to terminate near Deering and Squaw Canyons, not far from the supposed Peralta base camp.

View attachment 2017537

View attachment 2017541

View attachment 2017543
Rocks and boulders fall down every year in the Superstitions. While i was giving a look at the junction of Dutcman's Trail and Bull Pass Trail just north from Palomino Mt., because I knew of few arrastras on that flat and wanted to see their conditions, I saw in GE how in the year 2016 all were like I knew ( pic #1 ). But changing the year to 2017, I saw with big surprise how there have fallen some boulders white like quatz ( pic #2 ) and one has fallen almost on an arrastra ( middle left boulder ). The bigger surprise came when I realized in the year 2018 ( pic #3 ) the boulders have dissapeared like magic. This could be another mystery of the Superstitions.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 92
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 96
OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Markmar,
That is certainly a mystery! 🥹😁
The spacing and layout pattern adds to the mystery too, imo.
Good find 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread