Not open for further replies.

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Weaver's Needle seen from Garden Valley.

IMG_2376.JPG

This first trip was very educational for me. It proved the limitations of Google Earth. Only boots on the ground will show things as they really exist. I could go into detail about this trip, but that would be digressing from the thread topic. Unfortunately, I didn't see any rock men.

EDN

Apr 17, 2016
Gilbert, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some other pictures of the face of the rock when I rolled it over. I also marked the eye location on both sides. The indentations are slight but, you can feel with your hand. One of them is more smooth than the other. I can't tell for sure but, it makes me wonder if the rough one was added using a pick. I really think if this thing were standing and not broken apart it could look like an out line of a person.

Attachments

• Side view of face.jpg
    Side view of face.jpg
    431.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Side view of face 2.jpg
    Side view of face 2.jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Left side view (profile).jpg
    Left side view (profile).jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Left side view (profile) eye.jpg
    Left side view (profile) eye.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Right side view (profile).jpg
    Right side view (profile).jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Right side view (profile) eye.jpg
    Right side view (profile) eye.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 93

EDN

Apr 17, 2016
Gilbert, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rock I think looks like a man is close to a point on a ridge. Here are some pictures of the point and the relative location of the rock man. I also copied a view from Google Earth where this picture was taken.

Attachments

• Point of Ridge for rock man .jpg
    Point of Ridge for rock man .jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Point of ridge.jpg
    Point of ridge.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 93
  • GE where Picture of Pont of Ridge.jpg
    GE where Picture of Pont of Ridge.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 91

Goldfinger99

Jun 26, 2022
Rocks and boulders fall down every year in the Superstitions. While i was giving a look at the junction of Dutcman's Trail and Bull Pass Trail just north from Palomino Mt., because I knew of few arrastras on that flat and wanted to see their conditions, I saw in GE how in the year 2016 all were like I knew ( pic #1 ). But changing the year to 2017, I saw with big surprise how there have fallen some boulders white like quatz ( pic #2 ) and one has fallen almost on an arrastra ( middle left boulder ). The bigger surprise came when I realized in the year 2018 ( pic #3 ) the boulders have dissapeared like magic. This could be another mystery of the Superstitions.
Those appear to be camping tents.

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
In the Holmes Manuscript, part of the directions given for the path to Waltz’s mine, talk about a rock man:

“Where the trail turns south you will see over the point of a ridge a rock standing in the brush that looks like a man”.

The consensus seems to be that we may never know what this actually is/was .... or if it still exists today.

That does not mean there are not rock formations that could fit .... just not really any way to know is all.

Here is a photograph that was taken looking over the Point of a ridge from the trail below, at a rock formation.

View attachment 2015791

It would be interesting to see pictures of other “rock men” if anybody has one or so they would be willing to share 😁👍
I have to say that if someone goes off to the left of the trail after seeing that view, you end up in Waltz’ ravine, saddle …. All of it is there….. less than a mile….. but not a walk in the park. I’m is mostly bushwhacking through the briars.
I don’t know if this rock man is what Waltz was referencing, but I confess, I think it actually might be the same one. 😁👍

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
In Holmes version it also says
The Dutchman rode over and carved eyes into the man in the rock… so that mountain pic makes it very unlikely….
So a friend sent me a short book, and inside were a couple of inserts snips …. from a version of the Holmes manuscript.
The wording is different than the version I am used to seeing. Thought I should share the info, maybe we can find out what’s supposed to say what?

I see 2 big differences, one being the inclusion of pick action on the rock man, the other is the omission of round Indian ruin of rock on the saddle.

00500F95-AB23-4911-B620-C641FBBFD4D2.jpeg

The version I am used to seeing is
posted in thread “Dick Holmes Clues”, post #12 ….

591D4321-1A7A-444E-BC3C-DEB7FBEACFAD.png

I won’t speak for Matthew, but he seemed to verify the version he posted.

Maybe Matthew Roberts can shed some light?

Last edited:

FRESH BLOOD

Nov 26, 2016
Apache Junction
Detector(s) used
Okm Rover c4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the Holmes Manuscript, part of the directions given for the path to Waltz’s mine, talk about a rock man:

“Where the trail turns south you will see over the point of a ridge a rock standing in the brush that looks like a man”.

The consensus seems to be that we may never know what this actually is/was .... or if it still exists today.

That does not mean there are not rock formations that could fit .... just not really any way to know is all.

Here is a photograph that was taken looking over the Point of a ridge from the trail below, at a rock formation.

View attachment 2015791

It would be interesting to see pictures of other “rock men” if anybody has one or so they would be willing to share 😁👍
Screenshot_20230225-003159~5.png

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Standing Guy ? Standing Guy made outa rock? Pretty neat ...I remember when I looked for the Standing Guy that Jacob Waltz said " he looked so real I gave him a set of eyes".
Good morning FRESH BLOOD,
Do you remember where you found him?

Idahodutch

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Holme's route told by Waltz, the rock man/face it's not in the place which was described. In reality, the rock man/face can't be seen from where the Gov trail turns to the south, but from the mouth of the gulch which is related to the mines.
Waltz was in bad shape when told Holmes the route, and somehow mixed the clues, giving a wrong one about the rock man/ profile. I believe this was the reason nobody found the real spot. Looking from Waltz's mine, the rock man's face is behind the camp's spot and little higher, on a separate small hill.

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
In Holme's route told by Waltz, the rock man/face it's not in the place which was described. In reality, the rock man/face can't be seen from where the Gov trail turns to the south, but from the mouth of the gulch which is related to the mines.
Waltz was in bad shape when told Holmes the route, and somehow mixed the clues, giving a wrong one about the rock man/ profile. I believe this was the reason nobody found the real spot. Looking from Waltz's mine, the rock man's face is behind the camp's spot and little higher, on a separate small hill.
Markmar,
Got a photograph 😁😂
You should try using the clues as written 🤪
So if you want to challenge someone’s search findings, that are based on clues, It would be more productive to actually use the clues, not changing the wording.
or
Maybe start your own threads. 👍

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Markmar,
Got a photograph 😁😂
You should try using the clues as written 🤪
So if you want to challenge someone’s search findings, that are based on clues, It would be more productive to actually use the clues, not changing the wording.
or
Maybe start your own threads. 👍
My input was only because I believe some people deserve to know it. Not challenging someone's search findings , not in the way you consider it.
I believe the only accurate clue is the truth, and i wrote the truth.

OP
OP
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
My input was only because I believe some people deserve to know it. Not challenging someone's search findings , not in the way you consider it.
I believe the only accurate clue is the truth, and i wrote the truth.
You are rewriting clues as you see fit. That is the truth. 😉
Do what you want. 👍

EDN

Apr 17, 2016
Gilbert, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Markmar,
How far away do you think the Rock Man is from the mine?
Thanks,
EDN

EDN

Apr 17, 2016
Gilbert, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About three times the distance from the mine to the camp.
Markmar,

Are you sure that makes sense?

After the rock man is seen, Waltz said he would leave the trail, follow a long ridge to a saddle. Then through the saddle up to a highest point on a low ridge. At that spot the hidden camp is in the canyon below. He says it's to step to go straight down and tells us to go to the mount of the canyon and back to find the camp or rock house.

The directions to the mine from the camp were kept secret. However, the distance to the mine from the camp couldn't have been too far, because he talks about pacing it off from or near by the camp.

Let's assume the mine is no more than 0.25 miles or about 500 yards from the camp. If your estimate is three times the distance from the mine to the camp, this would place the Rock Man only about 0.75 miles or 1500 yards from the camp. This doesn't seem very far given the directions and waypoints Waltz provided.

In my search, the distance from the highest point on the ridge above the canyon where the camp is and the Rock Man I posted is about 6 to 8 miles.

I hope you, or for that matter anyone on this Forum finds the mine.

Good Luck and post some pictures of the gold if you already found it.

EDN

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EDN, why you believe the directions from the camp to the mine were kept secret? From what people know reading LDM clues, the mine is across the gulch from the camp and not more than 200 feet away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread