The San Jose galeon and Spains claim

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Show me one case where Spain used gov't monies to recover a wreck.

The Mercedes....

War Grave my butt. It was blown to Kingdom Come.

There are plenty of wrecksites that were blown up in war. Surface vessels, subsurface vessels, and aircraft. Sailors had a particular affinity for being buried at sea. Look at the surviving sailors who have chosen to be interned with their shipmates on the USS Arizona. Here is a clue for you, I am certain you can take your metal detector to Arlington and root up a few gold teeth. There is always the Bismark.

but I like my sites to be divable!

Try an atmospheric suit, I have been down to 2500 feet on a recovery...

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Try an atmospheric suit, I have been down to 2500 feet on a recovery"

Ehhhh ? Are you serious ? ? ? wow.

~~ARRC hands the "big balls" trophy to AU if this is true.~~~

Black Duck

Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
AUV What project was it and what ( who's) suit did you use ?

The Mercedes....

There are plenty of wrecksites that were blown up in war. Surface vessels, subsurface vessels, and aircraft. Sailors had a particular affinity for being buried at sea. Look at the surviving sailors who have chosen to be interned with their shipmates on the USS Arizona. Here is a clue for you, I am certain you can take your metal detector to Arlington and root up a few gold teeth. There is always the Bismark.

Try an atmospheric suit, I have been down to 2500 feet on a recovery...

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Mercedes

Nah. A bit late in the game to use that one. We're talking before the era of James Goold.

I, too, am interested in knowing what suit you used, and on what project.

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This should be a wake up call to all countries that signed on to the UNESCO law. Any country that has Spanish shipwrecks in its territorial waters should instantly withdraw their signatory to this law if they don’t want to have Spain try to take it all away from them. Why do you think the US never signed this UNESCO law? If Spain is so worried about its shipwrecks why don’t they claim all of their wrecks with tons of mercury on board that would have been used to mine the gold and silver. The mercury has turned into methyl mercury and gotten into the food chain in the ocean. Spain would try to call anybody who salvages a shipwreck looters. One can only call Spain plunderers of civilizations and polluters of the ocean. Don’t they have any shame?

MPH200

Oct 26, 2012
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The ADS 2000 was developed jointly with OceanWorks International and the US Navy in 1997,[18] as an evolution of the Newtsuit to meet US Navy requirements. The ADS2000 provides increased depth capability for the US Navy's Submarine Rescue Program. Manufactured from forged T6061 aluminum alloy it uses an advanced articulating joint design based on the Newtsuit joints. Capable of operating in up to 2,000 feet (610 m) of seawater for a normal mission of up to six hours it has a self-contained, automatic life support system.[19] Additionally, the integrated dual thruster system allows the pilot to navigate easily underwater. It became fully operational and certified by the US Navy off southern California on August 1, 2006, when Chief Navy Diver Daniel Jackson submerged to 2,000 feet (610 m).[

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jolly mon 2nd request, please stop insulting members.

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It became fully operational and certified by the US Navy off southern California on August 1, 2006, when Chief Navy Diver Daniel Jackson submerged to 2,000 feet (610 m).

There have been many technological advances in materials since 2006.
Systems were, and are, based on a static or rigid resistance system that had to withstand the pressure at depth. The ADS2000, commercial version is rated to 365m while the Navy version is rated to 610m, these suits were constructed from cast and milled aluminum, thick enough to withstand the depths, the joints were the main failure point of the system.

ADS III and ADS IV, use GRP and composite wrappings for even greater strength. ADS IV combines saturation diving with a more dynamic suit configuration to provide the greater depth and bottom time required for some operations.

The dynamic solution, under development, is far more workable, without simply adding thickness to the shell to withstand the pressure. The military and industry have significant experience in the design of multiple multi-layered structures. Saturation diving certainly extends the depth and bottom time available.

Navies around the world use hardsuits for sub rescue ops for years. The ability to dive and repair subsea telecommunications cables, without bringing the cable to the surface has significant funding.

This should be a wake up call to all countries that signed on to the UNESCO law. Any country that has Spanish shipwrecks in its territorial waters should instantly withdraw their signatory to this law if they don’t want to have Spain try to take it all away from them. Why do you think the US never signed this UNESCO law?

The US never signed because of the Space Shuttle, plain and simple.

In the grand scheme of things, do you really think that any countries really care if Spain lays claim to the sunken ships located in their respective waters? Virtually all will say, okay, this is yours, come and get it, just as the country would expect Spain to do the same for a sunken vessel in Spains waters.

Time to evolve or become a casualty of evolution.

Jolly mon 2nd request, please stop insulting members.
This appears to be far more than the second request, especially when having to edit posts...

Last edited:

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Spanish Justice Minister Rafael Catalá Polo said, “If we leave it where it is, in 50 years our grandchildren can visit that cultural heritage that belongs to everyone.”

Because we all know that is what grandchildren do so often today.
:rolleyes:

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does Spain feel that if they can't have it all, they don't want anybody to have it.
OR
Has Spain finally become ashamed of the plundering of civilizations that they carried and would rather not have people see the treasure that they stole from South American cultures?

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way.
Don't bother buying "The Treasure of the San Jose" written by Carla Phillips. Very little about the San Jose. Over 70 pages of the book before she gets to the shipwreck. Mostly about Spanish government corruption and multi repeats about dollar valuation.

Go!d&$ilver

Greenie
Jun 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haha. I would need the treasure to buy a submarine to go get the treasure.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I read the whole thread. I almost wanted to make a comment but I got scared. Think im just gonna get my mask snorkel and metal detector and digg up some silver and gold.
See ya guys.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There have been many technological advances in materials since 2006.
Systems were, and are, based on a static or rigid resistance system that had to withstand the pressure at depth. The ADS2000, commercial version is rated to 365m while the Navy version is rated to 610m, these suits were constructed from cast and milled aluminum, thick enough to withstand the depths, the joints were the main failure point of the system.

ADS III and ADS IV, use GRP and composite wrappings for even greater strength. ADS IV combines saturation diving with a more dynamic suit configuration to provide the greater depth and bottom time required for some operations.

The dynamic solution, under development, is far more workable, without simply adding thickness to the shell to withstand the pressure. The military and industry have significant experience in the design of multiple multi-layered structures. Saturation diving certainly extends the depth and bottom time available.

Navies around the world use hardsuits for sub rescue ops for years. The ability to dive and repair subsea telecommunications cables, without bringing the cable to the surface has significant funding.

The US never signed because of the Space Shuttle, plain and simple.

In the grand scheme of things, do you really think that any countries really care if Spain lays claim to the sunken ships located in their respective waters? Virtually all will say, okay, this is yours, come and get it, just as the country would expect Spain to do the same for a sunken vessel in Spains waters.

Time to evolve or become a casualty of evolution.

Hmm...

:icon_scratch::icon_scratch::icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread