The sinking of the Atocha explained by Captain Syd Jones

Dec 28, 2020
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Pulse and VLF), Littlemore (pulse), Aqua Pulse (pulse)
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
https://youtu.be/6U4R3jdZQQk

Captain Syd Jones, "Atocha Golden Crew" diver explains the sinking of the Nuestra Señora de Atocha that sank 40 miles west of Key West, Florida 400 years ago on September 6, 1622 with over $500,000,000.00 worth of historic artifacts and treasure. To see more videos and info on the treasures of the Atocha go to You Tube channel Atocha Treasure Adventures (link removed for rule violations)

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but only paying supporting vendors can post links to their website if it involves selling products.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you haven't read Capt. Syd's book yet, you need to. It is the best account of the discovery of the Atocha's main pile.

71wWx6O8XNL.jpg

WaveJunky757

Jan 31, 2018
Virginia Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great book. Every time I read it it just amazes me how the second storm moved the upper half of the ship some 12miles and then dumped out so much stuff. All that stuff stayed in, going through a hurricane just boggles me. It is such a unique and odd scatter. No wonder it took so long to pin point it.

This is MY personal opinion but I feel like the “stern castle” has been found, in the sense the artifacts have been found. I think it’s just a way to “keep the spirit alive” for everyone including investors. I’m sure there is plenty on the manifest that has yet to be discovered, but all the religious artifacts found up north seem to indicate that could have been where that section disintegrated. It’s fun to speculate.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Winds from a hurricane can shift. You may have a looping scatter trail rather than a straight line of point A to ending point Z.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still have some old maps of area (were in PhotoBucket) never took time to make the new. Lower right 55 ft depth zone 10+ miles to NW zone upper left.

Internet not working good to upload.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I saw a chart of the scatter pattern in Mel Fisher's office. It heads west and then slowly curves to the north as the wind direction changes.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that is what one of my older scanned maps (from printed Google Earth) showed but my Internet, is still moving at a snail's pace (so can't post any images yet). I had bottom contour maps and GE maps with pins. Those have gps coords at bottom, That Google Earth is long gone (lost when old computer crashed). Images have now are in PhotoBucket and you see a distracting watermark. Since then they charted the scatter trails on Fisher dives Atocha scatter. Soon as I get time might want to rechart everything to get recent maps.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See if printed scans will upload. Public gps coords for Atocha wreck location, reference I started with actually is in center of drift trail area.

Attachments

• Atocha1_BW.jpg
    Atocha1_BW.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Strnc_scan.jpg
    Strnc_scan.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Atdrift1c_crop.jpg
    Atdrift1c_crop.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem with locating stern castle is more shipwrecks are to the northwest. I suspect there is a small gap at NW scatter trail before reaching a new wreck.
I saw a chart of the scatter pattern in Mel Fisher's office. It heads west and then slowly curves to the north as the wind direction changes.
Salvor6 I believe end of loop around north a better search area (if there is any remaining wood to be found).

Attachments

• Strnc_scan-loop.jpg
    Strnc_scan-loop.jpg
    521.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was an old thread from 2009. Since then, I've done a lot of research. Margarita is another wreck Mel Fisher explored on. Mel Fisher museum had some good research material on it. Might be other wrecks close to Atocha nad the Margarita.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years past a lot of speculation was made over the sterncastle, how much treasure remained in it. After all the tumbling around (during 2nd hurricane) most likely the wood has disintegrated. Now we know they (boats working the Atocha) followed drift trails from Atocha sterncastle to the north (after going several miles northwest) looping back above to the northeast. Logic will tell you, the location. it must have come to rest when finally stopped

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread