The small hatchet ... Colonial?

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some pics of the small hatchet I found in the area of the colonial homestead I have found in the middle of a farm field! I had mentioned the finding in a previous post. I can't wait to put this through the electrolysis machine!!!
Does anyone else keep rosehead nails that they find? I typically toss most but tend to hold on to the larger ones and odd ones. Also, this horse shoe seems old but it was found a distance away from the site in the middle of the field and may be 1800s-1900s?
Thanks for looking!!! Cheers!:occasion14:
1122iron.jpg
1122h1.jpg
1122h2.jpg
1122h3.jpg

Upvote 11

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some pics of the small hatchet I found in the area of the colonial homestead I have found in the middle of a farm field! I had mentioned the finding in a previous post. I can't wait to put this through the electrolysis machine!!!
Does anyone else keep rosehead nails that they find? I typically toss most but tend to hold on to the larger ones and odd ones. Also, this horse shoe seems old but it was found a distance away from the site in the middle of the field and may be 1800s-1900s?
Thanks for looking!!! Cheers!:occasion14:
View attachment 2001968 View attachment 2001969 View attachment 2001970 View attachment 2001971
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. I also keep the rose head nails. I think those tiny hatchets were mainly used on tobacco for personal use.

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!!
I keep crusty colonial iron and love it, you can electrolysis your prettier nails and dip them into wax to preserve them. Aquachigger has a great video on youtube on how to do this although I have no link to send I could not find it.
I moved to Colorado from Virginia pretty recently and half the iron stuff I brought sort of 'shed' the outer crust of iron on their own (a product of the climate change) when I unpacked them. Unfortunately, some of it pitted and left the iron looking 'thirsty'.
As for the axe head I found a tiny colonial clothes iron on one of my 1750s sites which I believe is a toy and this may be a toy as well (or maybe an actual functional tool for a child). Still getting settled here tried to find it to send a pic but it may be at my mother's house in Fairfax,VA. Just a stab but I hope this helps. Keep those roseheads they will never be replaced and these sites are dissappearing, save that history just imho.

Attachments

• IMG_0181 (1).JPG
    IMG_0181 (1).JPG
    2 MB · Views: 39

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunter when i started metal detecting and see if i can find out what they are.b I put all my major finds that i do NOT know what they are in a bucket. After a year I go through the items in the bucket to another bucket. I do this for 2 more years. After 3 years i throw away what i do not know what it is. You might want to wait longer.Once you throw something away you will later in life wish you STILL HAD IT !!

Good luck and thank for sharing

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep crusty colonial iron and love it, you can electrolysis your prettier nails and dip them into wax to preserve them. Aquachigger has a great video on youtube on how to do this although I have no link to send I could not find it.
I moved to Colorado from Virginia pretty recently and half the iron stuff I brought sort of 'shed' the outer crust of iron on their own (a product of the climate change) when I unpacked them. Unfortunately, some of it pitted and left the iron looking 'thirsty'.
As for the axe head I found a tiny colonial clothes iron on one of my 1750s sites which I believe is a toy and this may be a toy as well (or maybe an actual functional tool for a child). Still getting settled here tried to find it to send a pic but it may be at my mother's house in Fairfax,VA. Just a stab but I hope this helps. Keep those roseheads they will never be replaced and these sites are dissappearing, save that history just imho.
Scrounge that sure is a neat Bayonet

OP
OP
HunterMF

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!!
Thanks!
Very nice. I also keep the rose head nails. I think those tiny hatchets were mainly used on tobacco for personal use.
Awesome! I have about 30+ rose heads that are in too rough of shape sitting in a bucket with other colonial stuff. Hope all is well and you’re getting out there!!

OP
OP
HunterMF

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually watched that one episode of the Chigg’s like 3 times haha He’s a cool guy to watch.
That’s cool that you appreciate the iron relics! I have found numerous iron relics at this location… scissors, knives, a fork, caldron pieces, and some odd pieces too. I keep most of it except for the nails that are broken or too crusty.
Good luck on the new adventures in Colorado!

OP
OP
HunterMF

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunter when i started metal detecting and see if i can find out what they are.b I put all my major finds that i do NOT know what they are in a bucket. After a year I go through the items in the bucket to another bucket. I do this for 2 more years. After 3 years i throw away what i do not know what it is. You might want to wait longer.Once you throw something away you will later in life wish you STILL HAD IT !!

Good luck and thank for sharing
Thanks for the insight! I haven’t thrown anything away yet and definitely plan on having a second/third look!
This idea of yours reminds me of what happened once. I have a collection of baseball cards; “commons” in certain boxes and desirables in others.
I went through all of my commons one day and found a Derek Jeter College card!!!! Haha Ya never know!

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I actually watched that one episode of the Chigg’s like 3 times haha He’s a cool guy to watch.
That’s cool that you appreciate the iron relics! I have found numerous iron relics at this location… scissors, knives, a fork, caldron pieces, and some odd pieces too. I keep most of it except for the nails that are broken or too crusty.
Good luck on the new adventures in Colorado!
Thanks for everything keep crushing it brother!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread