The Solid Silver Butt Plate for the Flintlock has been Found and it’s Beautiful!!

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The flintlock site has just given up the part I wanted to find most of all! I was able to return to the swampy area where an old causeway crossed during the 1700s, and finally recover the butt plate that I had hoped would be there. I had begun to think that it would remain hidden from me forever, and I would always wonder if it was inscribed or what it’s motif would look like. Now I know!

John King was one of London’s finest silversmiths when he made this flintlock rifle butt plate in 1774 as indicated by the hallmark information on the plate. King was supplying his silver gun mounts to the finest gunmakers in Europe during the second half of the 18th century. Thanks for coming along with me here on my hunts to recover the Revolutionary War era silver flintlock!!
Keith
5248A9F7-CB05-43B6-B7C8-2A0373AEBDC1.jpeg 3493097C-1507-4C96-88A8-B8DA4CBEDC17.jpeg B33A875E-5731-4C61-B468-7404D6DCDA6B.jpeg AA86956A-1D33-4349-8CDA-25FDB2E805EA.jpeg 2E504485-5AF1-47BB-A0AD-148E1A17234E.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 78
OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In looking at that butt plate, I noticed the that the lower part of the circular engraving motif that surrounds the top screw-hole shows signs of wear. This, to me, indicates that this rifle was used frequently and was not just a firearm that would be taken out of the closet on special occasions to show & impress friends. Whoever owned this rifle was a person of means who enjoyed using it for it’s intended purpose. Maybe this is wishful thinking on my part but, it’s just a thought.

As other members have previously indicated, there are still a few pieces ram-rod silver still out in that “muck”. . . you’ve already found the nicest pieces of this rifle which ANYONE, would have been thrilled and “over-the-moon” just even to find one of those pieces.

An additional thought. . .
As the original owner of such an exquisite rifle MAY have been a person of means, quite possibly there could be land-grant/ownership records/maps of the area you found these pieces in some archive which may open the door for your next continuing quest . . .

All the best-
Mark[/QUOTE
I noticed when I cleaned it that indeed it showed wear from standing on end. Your ideas are interesting and can aid in research. Thanks Mark for following these threads!

My brother has been making reproductions for the last 40 years View attachment 1874400 he made this 40 years ago for me. That's a 50 caliber percussion. More recently he's been making true reproductions PM me if you are serious and I'll contact him about this
HCW your brother made you a beautiful flintlock and has a lot of talent. When I am ready to do this project I will PM for info. Thanks!

Another amazing part of that amazing gun.

I have somewhat lost track, have you now got all the missing pieces?
Crusader I have the 4 main parts to the rifle but the ramrod guides are still missing.

I think the barrel should sound out nice and loud.
I have the barrel from this gun and have removed a load of buck and ball from it.

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
Sounds like you are well on your way.
In looking at that butt plate, I noticed the that the lower part of the circular engraving motif that surrounds the top screw-hole shows signs of wear. This, to me, indicates that this rifle was used frequently and was not just a firearm that would be taken out of the closet on special occasions to show & impress friends. Whoever owned this rifle was a person of means who enjoyed using it for it’s intended purpose. Maybe this is wishful thinking on my part but, it’s just a thought.

As other members have previously indicated, there are still a few pieces ram-rod silver still out in that “muck”. . . you’ve already found the nicest pieces of this rifle which ANYONE, would have been thrilled and “over-the-moon” just even to find one of those pieces.

An additional thought. . .
As the original owner of such an exquisite rifle MAY have been a person of means, quite possibly there could be land-grant/ownership records/maps of the area you found these pieces in some archive which may open the door for your next continuing quest . . .

All the best-
Mark[/QUOTE
I noticed when I cleaned it that indeed it showed wear from standing on end. Your ideas are interesting and can aid in research. Thanks Mark for following these threads!

HCW your brother made you a beautiful flintlock and has a lot of talent. When I am ready to do this project I will PM for info. Thanks!

Crusader I have the 4 main parts to the rifle but the ramrod guides are still missing.

I have the barrel from this gun and have removed a load of buck and ball from it.

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (Ophelia), Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
That is one of the coolest and most beautiful things I have ever seen and I don't even really care about guns. Incredible.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I look at all the silver components of this firearm, I can't help but think of Wiley Grover Higgins (1799-1859). Born in Laurens Co., SC, moving to Monroe Co., GA at the age of 25, and then on to my home county of Macon in 1838. He was one of this nation's most renowned gun makers. I was made aware of him by a local gentleman who also makes reproductions of early firearms. Another friend at a bottle show told me that the University of Georgia had a temporary display of early Georgia flintlocks that I should check out. They were all very impressive, but Wiley's work stole the show. To see so many examples of his work gathered from various collections was mindblowing. I stayed in that room until closing time just trying to absorb the detail of his craft. Amazing that something like this could be done by hand. No CNC mills, no laser cutters. Here are a few pictures of his flintlocks that were on display, including the famous Gamecock. I'm impressed by the range of his creativeness in the different designs. I've also been told that he made a pair of pistols for Andrew Jackson which are said to be housed at the Hermitage Museum in Nashville.

For more pictures of what is probably the most stunning piece of his work, check out MESDA at this link: https://mesda.org/item/collections/long-rifle/21804/

To think that many of these were made not 5 miles from where I live is unreal, and I'll bet that 99% of the locals have never heard of him.

Attachments

• wiley3.jpg
    wiley3.jpg
    599.2 KB · Views: 57
  • wiley1.jpg
    wiley1.jpg
    567.4 KB · Views: 67
  • wiley4.jpg
    wiley4.jpg
    666.2 KB · Views: 34
  • wiley2.jpg
    wiley2.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful pieces! I'm amazed that the tiny sharp point is still there on that butt plate. Looks like it would be easy to accidentally break off.

OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find I am glad you found it. But I am like Smokey, there are other pieces still waiting for you, every metal piece on that gun was more than likely silver, so there are still some out there waiting for you to find them. I also now think instead of just having them displayed they are aching to be re-assembled on a beautiful stock of walnut burl. We are setting high goals for you, but you are delivering the goods. But in the end they are yours to do with as you please, just keep us informed if you find anymore and please show us your final results on displaying them. I love this journey you are taking us on with this beautiful piece of craftsmanship being brought back from it's grave into a resurrected state. You should name it Lazarus as you are bringing it back from the dead.
Thanks Back of Boat! It would look awesome on the walnut burl!

What a work of art, congratulations on getting the piece.
Thanks pepperj! It is art to my eyes!

Congratulations! All of those pieces are museum quality finds. You should have four banners.
Thanks Donnie! I appreciate the compliments!

wow such a beautiful piece! Congrats, banner vote even if you have other banners with the other parts of that historic gun
Thanks Treblehunter!

When I look at all the silver components of this firearm, I can't help but think of Wiley Grover Higgins (1799-1859). Born in Laurens Co., SC, moving to Monroe Co., GA at the age of 25, and then on to my home county of Macon in 1838. He was one of this nation's most renowned gun makers. I was made aware of him by a local gentleman who also makes reproductions of early firearms. Another friend at a bottle show told me that the University of Georgia had a temporary display of early Georgia flintlocks that I should check out. They were all very impressive, but Wiley's work stole the show. To see so many examples of his work gathered from various collections was mindblowing. I stayed in that room until closing time just trying to absorb the detail of his craft. Amazing that something like this could be done by hand. No CNC mills, no laser cutters. Here are a few pictures of his flintlocks that were on display, including the famous Gamecock. I'm impressed by the range of his creativeness in the different designs. I've also been told that he made a pair of pistols for Andrew Jackson which are said to be housed at the Hermitage Museum in Nashville.

For more pictures of what is probably the most stunning piece of his work, check out MESDA at this link: https://mesda.org/item/collections/long-rifle/21804/

To think that many of these were made not 5 miles from where I live is unreal, and I'll bet that 99% of the locals have never heard of him.
. Thanks Sandchip! I love the images too. These guns are spectacular craftsmanship and I will be learning all I can about them. I also am a big fan of MESDA and hope to visit there.

Beautiful pieces! I'm amazed that the tiny sharp point is still there on that butt plate. Looks like it would be easy to accidentally break off.
. The point is actually a small sword. I will try to post a pic.
2B80D481-B631-44C0-B3DB-570AF5842BD4.jpeg

Last edited:

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My god man!! Beautiful is an understatement. What an absolutely incredible piece! Finding something like that is exceptionally rare...nevermind finding all of the pieces. Congrats on a once in a lifetime recovery!

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
got my banner vote - just beautiful

vp

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That's the best piece yet Keith. How big of an area were these gun part coming from? I like the idea of havig them incorporated into a gun. There are certainly some smaller pieces missing like the ram rod guides, nose cap, some smaller decorative inlays, and possibly a patch box cover, but these could be added later if found.

Last edited:

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
banner for sure - incredible find!! congrats

vp

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is freakin nice great display piece

shinyrockmaster69

Nov 2, 2020
Luxemborger
Detector(s) used
Shiny rock detector 5000 deluxe edition
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is truly amazing. can you just imagine a butt plate with all its pieces together? instant n u t . :occasion14:

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is one heck of a find! Love the mortor cannon on it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread