the spider rock treasure mystery

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Casca:
According to Mr. Layton, in his book,

"There are actually 3 major "Spider Rocks". All were found between 1902 and 1909 by a man named Dave Arnold and his Mexican partner. It is said they located the stones by following a map or waybill they had obtained earlier while they were in Mexico. They spent years trying to decipher the stones and enlisted the help of many others in their search, but were not successful.

Mr. Layton was told that even cryptanalysis from the FBI, CIA, and other government agencies couldn't decipher the stones.

One Spider Rock was found near Aspermont, Texas; another near Rotan, Texas, and one near Clyde, Texas. In addition to those 3 main stones (Waybills), there have been many other carvings and artifacts found in the general areas of the stones. In fact, when the Aspermont Rock was found it was buried in the ground and resting on top of the stone were 3 artifacts made of sheet copper."

I won't quote his book for the complete chapter covering this subject because it wouldn't be fair to Mr. Layton, to give up this information that is a unique part of his book. I will say that 3 more points are:
(1) The Aspermont stone gave up 2 main pieces of information and 8 minor pieces of info and in Spanish tradition, it repeats the main info over and over.

(2) Part of the info given, is the direction and distance to the Clyde Spider Rock.

(3) The Aspermont Rock does give the direction and distance to the goodie spot, but Mr. Layton said that he was not able to get the cooperation of the landowner, and wished his readers better luck than HE had. :icon_thumleft: He, also, is not able to go into the field anymore due to age and health.

I will also state here that none of the posters in this thread has mentioned Mr. Arnold and his partner. :icon_scratch:

Would love more information on the book by Layton...wh ois Layton, what is the book. I ask because so far as I know Wilson is the only one to write more than a few paragraphs about the Spider Rocks.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would love more information on the book by Layton...wh ois Layton, what is the book. I ask because so far as I know Wilson is the only one to write more than a few paragraphs about the Spider Rocks.

Mr. Layton is one of the older trail hunters who learned the codes by putting their boots on the ground. He is but ONE of the real deal hunters from whom Rangler learned his stuff. Of course, Rangler doesn't give due credit to those folks and would rather claim the information as his own.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jojosparks

Mar 8, 2013
Tell us more

Attachments

• image-1720987250.jpg
    image-1720987250.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,081

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
about 20+ yr ago, we tried to find the clyde rock, couldnt find
this winter im going to do a sw ride, tx,nm az, on the south,cut
back east on the north route, hit ok., anyway if someone could
give me the coords, for the rock, id like to try and find it this time

Hoofer

Jan 25, 2012
Detector(s) used
Between ears
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cw0909, The Clyde stone was the first stone found in 1902. All the stones were moved from their original locations soon after they were found. They were fairly small. Less than three feet per side. Though I have never seen a photo of it or the
Aspermont stone I have seen both good and bad drawings of them. The good ones are good enough for you to solve
the stones.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks, i went with some folks from dyess afb, that had heard about it, from some native americans

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The final location of the Spider Rocks' setup has been decoded. The problem is getting access to the private property on which it is located. That info comes from the person who decoded the final stone...........NO not I, but someone else who has since retired.

jojosparks

Mar 8, 2013
I posted a thread a few years ago about possible pyramids in texas cause ive been researching a curious looking mountain rumored to have a vast network of caves within it. IMG_8397.JPG The hill is on private property. After years of talking about it someone sent me a picture of the star rock noting the resemblance to the top of this hill. IMG_8431.PNG After researching this rock i come the story of spider rock. I couldnt help but start noticing a lot of curious coincidences. A tributary of the Brazos river runs along the base of this mountain and through the middle of the spider webbed tree lines which is directly north of the mountain. IMG_8403.PNG After getting Steve Wilsons book Ive become even more curious. Wilson mentions in his book of well known trader talking about rich mine 100 miles north of the Bosque river on the east bank of the brazos. This mountain fits that. IMG_8807.JPG Ive came across several old maps showing a lost copper mine on them that im led to believe is a possibility. There have been rock symbols found in this area that resemble this place.A rock with a spiderweb pecked into it and some other symbols that were found along the tributary that leads here. signs on cedar on turkey creek.gif The arrow shape resembles the earth mound where the tributary empties into the brazos. IMG_8402.PNG . The last place Dave Arnold was seen was in this area. So it really sparks my curiousity.

Last edited:

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
the locatioin of the spider rock treasure site:dontknow: has been decoded...nut not recovered as it lies on Fed protected land-sniff rangler

Would love to hear more about this...who decoded it, where is it roughly, when did this discovery take place. Give us some details!

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
The final location of the Spider Rocks' setup has been decoded. The problem is getting access to the private property on which it is located. That info comes from the person who decoded the final stone...........NO not I, but someone else who has since retired.

Another one saying it's cracked. What more can be shared? What do we know about how it was solved, what the solution suggests, etc.

Scoots9

Mar 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for Spider Rock treasure seeker

I'm researching the Spider Rock treasure for a tv production company. I'm looking for individuals who have searched for, are currently searching for or have plans in the near future to search for the Spider Rock treasure. If you or someone you know is doing this, I'd love to hear from you. Please send an email with subject line: Spider Rock to [email protected]
Happy hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread