Relic Hunting
Upvote 2

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've read various accounts of Mr. Millers collection that was seized. This one was longer than most & focused often on the FBI agents viewpoints. Mr. Miller has passed so we will never hear his side of this story. It sounds like a very eclectic collection. Thanks for sharing.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember this happening. Thanks for sharing it again.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
No doubt lots of embellishment to the story, but it probably wasn't an embellishment to call him a grave robber.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I've said it before, I knew Don, he worked at NAFI which became NAC with my dad, two of my cousins and a neighbor who took photos of his collection years ago. I saw him at auctions and shows

At shows after this took center stage here in Indiana and other events over the years there has been discussion on how this started. I have heard more than a few stories about it.

Yet until the vocativ.com column came out in 2014, I do not recall reading in print just how this came to be. The vocativ.com column states that Richard Gramly is the individual who contacted the authorities and started the ball rolling when he viewed a triggering device.

I have not seen any rebuttal from Gramly on this to indicate it may be false.

I am sure there are viewpoints on both sides of the debate on whether this should have been handled differently.

To read the column check

Key text
The discovery shook Gramly. “To my horror, I see the man has a switch,” he says. “No private person should have this device.”

The night ended and Gramly kept what he saw to himself. Later, though, a friend forwarded him a photo (likely taken without Miller’s consent) of the switch. Convinced that it could fall into the wrong hands and that someone could potentially use it to make a dirty bomb, Gramly decided to call the authorities. “I hate to rat someone out, but it’s no longer a private thing.” He reached out to a relative of his who was a colonel at the Pentagon, who told Gramly to contact the FBI, which he did. That was in 2008.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread