paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only had time for a short hunt today so I revisited a previous site where I had found all of the early coppers grouped together. I had a hunch that I missed a few things and indeed I found four more buttons and one copper. Initially I thought I had found my first cartwheel penny, but after cleaning it up it was clear that wasn't the case. The bust is left facing and it's incredibly thick (2mm), but some light cleaning revealed it wasn't a KG II, but a Connecticut Copper.

DSC04156.JPG DSC04158.JPG

There's not much detail around the date, but I believe it's an 1787. What's odd is that the strike is somewhat recessed (but not tremendously) into the copper and the coin itself is much thicker than the other coppers of the day.

DSC04159.JPG DSC04161.JPG DSC04162.JPG

Maybe a quality control issue where a planchette of the wrong thickness made it's way between the dies. Definitely a first for me and to find only one coin and have it be a state copper is a great day!

Upvote 20

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That coins is sweet, and well fed! Congrats!! :thumbsup:

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice one with great detail! :icon_thumright:

I found a classic head LC that's similar. Someone hammered on the rim lightly around and around to make it fatter... Probably board and was just messing around.
IMG_20160528_125040889.jpg

Louisiana Ken

Sep 17, 2012
Lacombe, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excallibur II
Minelab E-Trac
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice neat find!!!!! Maybe it was an attempt to making a coin ring.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice copper!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice copper, is the weight and diameter close.
Almost looks like it's been hammered on the edges.
Very cool recovery, congrats.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a very nice coin for sure. Think it was messed with or a contemporary counterfeit? The counterfeits are worth more than the originals.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool old copper, congratulations! :occasion14:

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice copper, is the weight and diameter close.
Almost looks like it's been hammered on the edges.
Very cool recovery, congrats.

Thank you! It might have been hammered, but if so they did an amazing job. The edge is a very even circle without any flat spots from hammer blows so they may have hammered it and then smoothed the edge. I'll see if I can get an accurate weight to see how much material has been lost (or if it's overweight).

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
OutdoorAdv nailed it. They would roll and scallop the edges sometimes, when they weren’t playing on the internet. Lol.

Nice find

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! It might have been hammered, but if so they did an amazing job. The edge is a very even circle without any flat spots from hammer blows so they may have hammered it and then smoothed the edge. I'll see if I can get an accurate weight to see how much material has been lost (or if it's overweight).
Pretty sure they didn't always use hammers when they did that to coins. Sometimes they just patiently tapped around the edge of the coins with a spoon or other similar object. This allowed them to control the shape better. It obviously took a lot longer doing it with a spoon though. Nice find. :occasion14:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has definitely been hammered or spooned around the edges, Connecticut coppers did not have a raised edge. Counterfeits were usually lightweight for more profit from less material. After the copper panic of 1789, the coppers were virtually worthless, and many were altered and put to various other uses such as buttons, clock gears, toy buzzers, you name it.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice altered copper. These people had a lot less to do than us. I’m guessing in the winter especially. This is a Mass cent I found that somebody scalloped the edge on.
3B6480EE-D0AA-40B4-97CF-668969B4743B.jpeg

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice altered copper. These people had a lot less to do than us. I’m guessing in the winter especially. This is a Mass cent I found that somebody scalloped the edge on.
View attachment 1554848
Yeap, I beat they invited their mates around for a bit of festive coin bashing....lol

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap, I beat they invited their mates around for a bit of festive coin bashing....lol

Haha “hey Johnny you hold it....I’ll hit it!”

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Sheesk, colonial coppers in every east coast sand box. Sick sick sick :(

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheesk, colonial coppers in every east coast sand box. Sick sick sick :(

Unfortunately I can’t dig in my east coast sand box buddy. But we are getting close

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That’s an interesting copper

Top Member Reactions