The Tax Man Cometh

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, I want to say WOW! to a 9-karat diamond being found at Crater of Diamonds Park in Arkansas! I have never been before, but it is one of those places I have always wanted to visit. May be time to load up the fam and take a road trip.

Unfortunately for this guy, the federal law requires us treasure finders to declare our finds as "income" and to pay taxes on them. Professional treasure hunters have known this for decades, but I'd bet that the average digger who nets a cool key-date coin, a rare Confederate belt plate, or that coveted 4-ounce gold nugget in the sluice box may not be aware.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2020/09/26/man-finds-9-carat-diamond-irs-finds-man/?fbclid=IwAR3jv_R_cViRoleKDuZAlTtHNc18nfwDRTkiudHJMO5yJe_6F8snEfYY55U#87c18ef12488

Now, you may ask, can I deduct my detector, gas, lodging (for those epic road-trip hunts), and chigger bite cream. Short answer is YES! Tax laws work both ways. See here: https://finance.zacks.com/reporting-earnings-metal-detecting-irs-5649.html

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fortunately for me, if I had to file anything the IRS would owe me a TON of money! 300,000 plus miles on the three vehicles, numerous air flights, dozens and dozens of hotel rooms, tolls, tolls and more tolls, park entrance fees, let alone the cost of the machines which is NOTHING compared to the other expenses! Of course I have never found a truly big ticket item. That diamond he found is something else. Now what he will get for it is another thing altogether. If he sells it.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lucky man will get a visit from IRS, my favorite federal agency, telling him what the item is worth, and they want the money now. Always pay your state and federal income taxes of off to jail you may go. Connecticut has a state income tax.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I occasionally find something I consider "nice". Like a damaged gold ring a couple years ago. I took it to a jeweler to see about fixing it. They wanted $550 and no guarantee it could be fixed. Sometimes salt water finds, even gold molecularly attach to some of the salt and the item is destroyed when they apply heat to it to try and fix it. Well, they said it couldn't be fixed and offered me $15 for it. The gas to get there and back was more than $15. That's why we don't do this as a business. Those little gold 14k light weight chains? A hand full of clad is worth more. That's due to the light weight and impurity of the gold at 14k. For fun go price one some day.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I worry a LOT more about my ex-wives than the I.R.S.:laughing7: Some of them are very, shall we say, "entitled" to my money - umm, "our money." :dontknow::thumbsup:

halo71

Jun 4, 2020
Lincolnton, GA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been to Crater Of Diamonds park several times over the years. Never found a diamond sadly. Great place to go and take the kids though.

I don't know if they still do it. But years ago they had gemologist on site that would grade the diamond. And they would make a cash offer to the finder. And take out taxes on the spot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MidMoTreasure

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worry a LOT more about my ex-wives than the I.R.S.:laughing7: Some of them are very, shall we say, "entitled" to my money - umm, "our money." :dontknow::thumbsup:

You, sir, may be my spirit animal.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found three at the crater way back in the day. They were tiny. Very tiny. On three flights down there, three trips. Talk about losing money but for me its the adventure.

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
white's 6000/D coin master
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Loose Lips Sink Ships" HEHEHEHE

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Me neither. If asked about all of the rings, etc. I've found..... They were handed down through the family. Getting your name in the news may be good for the ego, but can be bad for the wallet. If you find something worth big bucks, keep your mouth shut.

Dejure

Nov 30, 2023
Deny everything,admit nothing,make counter accusations!
Or chase the sound legal advice: You have a right to not tell your agent anything. If you live in the District of Columbia, that right is set out in the 5th amendment. If you live in The State of Washington, you will find that right set out in the Washington constitution at article 1, section 24.

Generally, no one has talked themselves out of being arrested, then there is this. . . .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread