The Track-Way Site - Day 7 - 2 Hammered, SAXON SCEAT & CAROLINGIAN GOLD COIN...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a day... worked hard for it; in the morning battling the frozen ground & then walking in soup in the afternoon.
For some time we have thought this field our best hope for our Wish List No.2 - Saxon Gold Coin; like the British Crondall types or I would have excepted the Frankish Tremissis. However Cru'dad found a cut third of a coin similar to this (still awaiting official ID);
It was struck in circa AD830, during our middle Saxon period but is Frankish, unless its a British Imitation, so not sure if it counts yet. Whatever it turns out to be it's Extremely Rare.

5.5hrs;

2 Scrappies (1 pierced twice)
71 Buttons - Best 1 day total from this field
West Kent Militia Button, circa 1800
2 Lead Tokens
English Jetton
Medieval Horse Pendant
Broken Saxon Strap-end
6th C AD Saxon Brooch bit
Tudor Lace Chape
1926 Sixpence
Edward I Penny
Henry III cut half

Saxon Sceat
Carolingian Solidus? AD830 (cut third)
- A complete example was worth 30 Pennies, a months pay for a skilled workmen. Our theory is they cut it to make 10 pennies worth. Not see this type of cut other than on Viking hack pieces.
UPDATE:
''The cut solidus is certainly an interesting find. EMC now has 24 of these Frisian or Anglo-Saxon imitations of the Louis the Pius solidus, 5 of which are cut fractions. They were probably cut as gold bullion and I don't think that they were intended as specific denominations.''

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 46
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, so close...I know you will get your Saxon Gold. I love these coins because they are minted just next to my door and they are really rare. I dont even know they made counterfeits. Congrats to Crudad!
Tough to know, but I think these are more like local imitations (like the Roman Barborous type) than a counterfeit. You can tell its really high grade gold & not plated.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tough to know, but I think these are more like local imitations (like the Roman Barborous type) than a counterfeit. You can tell its really high grade gold & not plated.
One of these isn't even on my wishlist because they are so super rare...

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of these isn't even on my wishlist because they are so super rare...
Yeap, I had no clue what it was until I researched it. Cru'dad thinks its a British copy of the Frankish type which in turn is a copy of the concept of a Roman solidus (Byzantine).

Last edited:

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, what a day... worked hard for it; in the morning battling the frozen ground & then walking in soup in the afternoon.
For some time we have thought this field our best hope for our Wish List No.2 - Saxon Gold Coin; like the British Crondall types or I would have excepted the Frankish Tremissis. However Cru'dad found a cut third of a coin similar to this (still awaiting official ID);
It was struck in circa AD830, during our middle Saxon period but is Frankish, unless its a British Imitation, so not sure if it counts yet. Whatever it turns out to be it's Extremely Rare.

5.5hrs;

2 Lead Tokens
English Jetton
Medieval Horse Pendant
Broken Saxon Strap-end
Tudor Lace Chape
1926 Sixpence
Edward I Penny
Henry III cut half

Saxon Sceat
- A complete example was worth 30 Pennies, a months pay for a skilled workmen. Our theory is they cut it to make 10 pennies worth. Not see this type of cut other than on Viking hack pieces.
UPDATE:
''The cut solidus is certainly an interesting find. EMC now has 24 of these Frisian or Anglo-Saxon imitations of the Louis the Pius solidus, 5 of which are cut fractions. They were probably cut as gold bullion and I don't think that they were intended as specific denominations.''

View attachment 2066195 View attachment 2066196 View attachment 2066197 View attachment 2066198 View attachment 2066199 View attachment 2066200 View attachment 2066201 View attachment 2066202 View attachment 2066203
You must be feeling better. Fantastic finds. You must be one of the most dedicated hunters out thereπŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Love. The Gold

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must be feeling better. Fantastic finds. You must be one of the most dedicated hunters out thereπŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Love. The Gold
Still in a bit of pain but at least I'm sleeping OK.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you might want to open a museum entirely dedicated to " Cru" finds . The breadth of history , and the vast number of significant finds you've brought to light is staggering !🍻

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021

5.5hrs;

2 Lead Tokens
English Jetton
Medieval Horse Pendant
Broken Saxon Strap-end
Tudor Lace Chape
1926 Sixpence
Edward I Penny
Henry III cut half

Saxon Sceat
UPDATE:

View attachment 2066195 View attachment 2066196 View attachment 2066197 View attachment 2066198 View attachment 2066199 View attachment 2066200 View attachment 2066201 View attachment 2066202 View attachment 2066203
Congrats!

Those finding are really amaizing.

God bless you

Can I see your collection?

Awsome man, well deserved

πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘πŸ½

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread