Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
History Channel my rear. The name should be changed to "Reality Channel".

I used to really enjoy watching the historical documentaries. Youngsters these days are not interested in real history.

The lack of knowledge is how we end up with knuckleheads who think the holocaust never occurred.

The channel is not worth watching now in my opinion.
Now that’s a mouthful.

rowanns

Jan 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am looking forward to their excavation of Smiths Cove. Smiths Cove, Nolans Cross and the evidence of the swamp being man made are really the only mysteries left about oak Island. In my view the most convincing explanation of the three mysteries is the one supplied by J.Steele in her book that OI was the site of a Naval Stores operation run by the Jesuits using slave labour. This would have Smiths Cove coffer dam being used to keep the area dry and the edge of the dam being where ships were loaded/unloaded for the naval stores operation. The beach was used to dry stuff (probably seafood). The structure found by Dan in SC was some type of building there possibly the base of a crane for loading/unloading ships. The box drains were to drain rain/seepage away from the dammed of area when the tide was up.

Nolan Cross was built by the Jesuits as a place for the slaves to worship/meeting place (or some other religious ceremony). The Swamp was possibly a man made attempt to make a fresh water dam to supply fresh water for the naval stores operation. The money pit and the cave in pit were pine tar kilns.

It is disappointing that the Laginas have brought on every looney they can find but have not even bothered to speak to Joy Steele (She is a local historian)...

Why Oak Island though and why the Jesuits? If we go with the 18th century, this area was firmly under British control - why permit the Jesuits to do anything? The theory also suggests the creation of tar pits on Oak Island for preservation of naval stores. Why there though? If Oak trees were the reason, why not go along the shoreline of the province where they are more plentiful? I'm not saying I disagree, as I find the theory quite interesting, but it does get me asking questions.....

BruiserBrody

May 18, 2011
I found it very funny that the solution to the leaking cofer dam was to send the 2 kids out with the same caulk gun I use in my basement to fill in the cracks.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pawwtrie???? from an outhouse :laughing9:, a Brown Bess ramrod---???? he knows that without checking the calibre--- next week-- the stars will point to the Loch Ness monster--- LORDY--- this show is painful to endure:BangHead:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why Oak Island though and why the Jesuits? If we go with the 18th century, this area was firmly under British control - why permit the Jesuits to do anything? The theory also suggests the creation of tar pits on Oak Island for preservation of naval stores. Why there though? If Oak trees were the reason, why not go along the shoreline of the province where they are more plentiful? I'm not saying I disagree, as I find the theory quite interesting, but it does get me asking questions.....

My understanding is the expulsion of the French did not begin until 1755, and quickly progressed to deportations, so the Jesuits were likely serving the French Catholic communities for at least the first half to almost the first 2/3 of the 18th century. My own ancestors were forced out and eventually settled in Quebec. When my grandmother passed away, she left some Church birth records with my parents. Because we spoke and read French, my mother and I read some of the records until we reached a record of the Baptism of three children with an Indian spouse on the same day as their marriage. My mother was horrified about this and blamed my father for such a family "scandal" of children born out of wedlock, while I protested that priests back then likely rarely caught up with folks who moved around in the Frontier while trapping and this might have been the first opportunity to perform a marriage (late 1820's). Both my mother and father's side intermarried with Indians in Quebec and the American west, so that part was not such a scandal. The animus to the British remained and I was the first one to marry a girl with British roots. I suspect that some of the old folks at the wedding were at least thinking "such a nice girl, a pity she is not French..." if not saying it. To my knowledge, I have no relatives today in Nova Scotia, the family oral history being that they all refused to take any oath of loyalty to the British crown. I really should research if any fought at Louisbourg.

Last edited:

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can recommend reading the book https://www.amazon.com/Oak-Island-Mystery-Solved-ebook/dp/B00Y3BGVDM it only costs $5 second hand. It is a thin book and a very interesting read (Only takes a few hours to read) She has extensive research and some great photos.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There may have been many reasons for setting up the processing on a small island near the main land. ie easier to get things on and off the ships, easier to keep control of the slaves, easier to keep the natives away and protect your operation, I would guess they would of also been bringing logs across from the mainland on barges if her theory is correct. It may also be the case that being an island there were subject to different laws/rules etc or simply that it was cheap to acquire.

Also Pine tar kilns not tar pits. Pine tress are heated and the tar is drained from them The tar was used all over ships for water proofing/preserving wood back in the day.

autofull

Mar 18, 2010
exeter pa
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
i heard thru a third party that the idiots dug up the logs that dan had found and acted very excited. sheessh.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The logs Dan found could have easily been washed out to sea as they were left exposed till a storm hit and crushed his coffer dam...

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
i heard thru a third party that the idiots dug up the logs that dan had found and acted very excited. sheessh.
HaHa Very funny... the rick and marty comedy show 6A37CD44-613D-4381-B1CF-95F9EF477E60.jpeg

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why this show gets everyone so upset, its just a TV show. If you hate it , don't watch it :dontknow:

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't wait to see what happens next!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know why this show gets everyone so upset, its just a TV show. If you hate it , don't watch it :dontknow:

Because it had so much potential to be informative and . . . history.

Instead of a farce on archeology and history. If it had not been on the History Channel I never would have bothered with it. Now it is a cause with me to point out what a piece of nonsense they are making of the whole thing.

I want HISTORY on the History Channel. Not Bigfoot, aliens and wild unsupported speculation. They are not making history. They are faking History.

I MUCH preferred when the Channel did WWI & WWII and Flight documentaries.

So far the "Curse of" events Oak Island could have been captured in 20 minutes of an hour documentary. I would have waited. Now it is just watching grass grow and may never get to a resolution.

Garbage.

Last edited:

autofull

Mar 18, 2010
exeter pa
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
ok guys, i snuck outta the homestead on tuesday nite and went to the neighbors to watch the show for the first time in weeks. it looks like they dug up what everyone else found earlier although it is cool to see it. i think the roman numerals are assembly sequence numbers like tab a to slot b. i wish they could just bring a huge tracked cable clam bucket in and go open pit mining. say 300feet across and 200 feet deep. such a shame as this show could have ended after two or so years. and that darn narrator is still droning on. dear god, do they not read the hate e-mails. ok, shhh, do not tell my wife i peeked guys. kevin in pa.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I accidentally watched it almost all the way through once. Fortunately, I survived. Bourbon helped. Wait! I don't drink! It make me delusional!

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't wait to see what they dig up next! :laughing9:

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana