Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my ultimate treasure hunting vehicle:

MDflyer.jpg

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe Uncle Vinney has the right idea. Just hook a 2 place horse trailer onto that Jeep Cherokee and put those 2 back mules into it. When you run out of road, get the mules out and build your packs. Put on your new pair of wolverines and GO. Those RV's are a big waste of money if you are really wanting to get well into the backwoods. If you're talking about being a lottery winner and investing in THing equipment, buy a restored WW2 three quarter ton weapons carrier built by Dodge; hook that horse trailer on to IT instead of the Cherokee and go.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
If your going surplus, go for the GMC deuce and a half that I drove in the Army.It's a 6x6. It will go places the 3/4 wouldn't even think about and it's automatic!

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
This is interesting to me because I've been on the quest for the perfect vehicle for years. What I've discovered is that there isn't one out there. They all need modification of some sort to fit the bill. I want a vehicle that can take me into the gold fields, down miles of beach, through the backwoods, and still get me to work without having to pull a gas station and mobile repair garage behind it!

My current ride is a '99 Jeep Cherokee with mild lift, DIY roof rack, CB (later a ham repeater setup), offroad lights but mainly 'focused' on having extra light around the vehicle since it will also be a 'base camp'. I'm also adding some sort of traction device in the diffs, and later a military trailer rigged out expedition style with a generator, etc. I know Jeeps have their unique problems, but let's face it:real treasure hunters drive Jeeps! :laughing7:

I figure that setup will get me wherever I have any business trying to take a vehicle to, support me while I'm there, and not break my budget to rig up. Now I sure do like that Cherokee posted above!! They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Me!
I just keep my old '77 Wagoneer arollin'

Of Course!
I, improve the '77 with a list of new "modifications" from Time To Time ! :P :Pa
Presently, I will be doubling the engine's HP, modifing the transmission and uping the "MPG" :hello2:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those Cherokees like Bev's were built on the J-10 half ton jeep truck chassis and the Cherokee Chiefs were built on the J-20 three quarter ton Jeep truck chassis.

Frankn:
I agree that the deuce and a half was a great truck, but I'd still opt for the three quarter ton Dodge weapons carrier because it can slip through narrower places than that 6 by. Plus, that 6 by didn't have nearly the short turning radius that the weapons carrier did. The first military truck I ever drove was the old Korean era deuce and a half with the High / Low range; all wheel drive using a straight 6 multi fuel engine turning an Allison automatic transmission. Tough truck but it has a WIDE turning radius.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Short Stack
You're correct!
The Military Vechiles, except for the "Jeeps"
all have much too wide of a turning radius
AND
Are Much Too wide for most remote OTR'ing

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Short Stack: When I got to a tight turn in the 6x6, I made my own road.
I once pulled a tank out of a swamp with my 6x6. I must admitt my 6x6 was on the road. It took low range hilly range and 6x6 but I slowly pulled him out.

Actually I like my first choice, my MH. It makes a great,confortable base camp.
I usually get as close to my target area as I can hop in the beach buggy and hit the target. There's nothing like a confortable bed,real bathroom, real kitchen with table and chairs in the middle of nowhere and a buggy to zero in with. Oh I am thinking about a Rokon in place of the buggy. It is 2x2, climes 60 degree slopes, goes thru tight woods and is good for 8hrs. on a tank. Well I can dream can't I? P.S. my MH has 305 HP diesel and all 6 tires drive.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
That's what you use after you found the big one to git home safely!!

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
WOWSER! Now that's what I call a "Ghetto Blaster!" I could use that in Detroit parks........NGE

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That EarthRoamer has a $110K price tag...wow.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
The Earthroamer looks good at first. I checked it out and read the independent actual road test. The biggest problem is the drive train. It has a lot of added weight which overloads the jeep motor & clutch. The clutch went out on the test drive thru the mountains. The solar is minimal. The water tank is small. Sleeping area is a tent on the roof which is marginal in bad weather and far from bear proof. It would not hold up long in actual use. A cute idea but not practical

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
The class B Minni motorhomes are nice size wise but the beds are small, the bathroom is very uncomfortable. Most have the shower over the toilet. There water supply is small and the frig. is small so they have very limited on site endurance. Most class C's are good for a week easy.
This is my class C with 305 Diesel HP and 4 wheel drive. It will cruise at 70MPH comfortably getting there and with low range and 4x4 it will craw down modest jeep trails. I am thinking about adding a Rokon to craw thru thick woods. That way I can fan out from this comfortable base camp.

Attachments

• 300MH.jpg
    300MH.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,324
  • MN300.jpg
    MN300.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,373

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used