They didn't get them all! (Competition and more coins at the "sidewalk" field)

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They didn't get them all! (Competition and more coins at the "sidewalk" field)

Hi everyone. I've been posting about http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/655884-sidewalk-nowhere-except-good-coins.html.
And over the weekend I posted about finding http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...mes-first-indian-head-cent-sidewalk-park.html.
In that post I explained that I now have some competition at this field with the sidewalk to nowhere. I made the mistake of taking a friend along from town, and then he started going back there - with his brother, and without giving me the courtesy of an invite.

But I have good news! Those brothers didn't get everything good from the field. Yesterday morning before work I headed over there early and focused my efforts on areas that were a little harder to detect: along a hillside and near a chainlink fence. That approach paid off!

The very first target of the morning was within a foot of the chainlink fence and it was a 5gram .925 silver ring made in Mexico. It has a makers mark of TR-141, which I've learned means it was made after 1980 in Texco, Mexico. This mark appears somewhat common as there are other rings for sale with this same mark on eBay (for about $25).

I found a lot of other coins in this hillside/fence area, and the ratio between new pennies (six) and wheat pennies (eleven) was really good (meaning I was finding older coins more often than newer), and sure enough over about a 2 hour span I found three silver dimes mixed in with those other non-silver coin finds.

I've now completed my systematic search of the oldest, least terraformed area (meaning a lot of the other fields in the park have been heavily modified & leveled out in most places for use as sports fields). I'll still check the other fields but I'm less confident of what I'll find. And I'll still recheck the areas that produced all those silver coins - there are bound to be some I missed.

Thanks for reading!

- Brian

9frudwZ.jpg
JTfALYm.jpg zr3VBbC.jpg

jI2kdTK.jpg

Upvote 23

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the nice finds! Looks like their is plenty in there! Stay after it and good luck!

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! Love those Mercs!!

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It keeps producing! Nice finds! Do you have any pictures of the area, i'm trying to visualize it. No worries, i'm in Minnesota.

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It keeps producing! Nice finds! Do you have any pictures of the area, i'm trying to visualize it. No worries, i'm in Minnesota.
I'll head back out there over the next few days and I'll make sure to take some pictures when I go.
- Brian

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Brian. I'm glad you were able to persist under the circumstances.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Where did you say this park is at again?? :laughing7: :laughing7:

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hey GoDeep, here are some pictures of the field.
The first one is taken from where you enter the field; all that wide open grass has been modified to make those sports fields. In the first picture all the silver coins have been coming from the far side of the field of view.
The second picture is taken from the opposite side of the park, and I put a red arrow pointing at the "sidewalk to nowhere" and an orange arrow pointing to where the silver ring was found near the fence.
The third picture shows the boundary of the park; the history is that the property used to be a school/camp (and before that a convent) about 100 years ago. Our town bought the open space to create the park and the buildings beyond the "No Trespassing" sign are owned by a developer that is seeking approval to build homes there.

I realize I'm probably sharing too much (again) on a public forum but - who cares. I know you're in Minnesota and you're not driving out here, but I doubt that even those that are closer would bother. Between me and my buddies in town we're cleaning the place out anyway!

- Brian

nwP7vo8.jpg
d2Yv3AJ.jpg
lnl7xxZ.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Always nice to get 4 silvers in a day. Congrats

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Nice finds bud!

Have you thought of a little sweet revenge? Find some crappy park that you are sure has nothing and then tell them about all the great finds you?ve been finding there (and maybe show them some from your collection), lol. Only tell the one brother though. Then he?ll tell the other brother. [emoji48]

And whatever you do, don?t mention you?re still finding goodies at the sidewalk to nowhere!

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey GoDeep, here are some pictures of the field.
The first one is taken from where you enter the field; all that wide open grass has been modified to make those sports fields. In the first picture all the silver coins have been coming from the far side of the field of view.
The second picture is taken from the opposite side of the park, and I put a red arrow pointing at the "sidewalk to nowhere" and an orange arrow pointing to where the silver ring was found near the fence.
The third picture shows the boundary of the park; the history is that the property used to be a school/camp (and before that a convent) about 100 years ago. Our town bought the open space to create the park and the buildings beyond the "No Trespassing" sign are owned by a developer that is seeking approval to build homes there.

I realize I'm probably sharing too much (again) on a public forum but - who cares. I know you're in Minnesota and you're not driving out here, but I doubt that even those that are closer would bother. Between me and my buddies in town we're cleaning the place out anyway!

- Brian

View attachment 1944531
View attachment 1944532
View attachment 1944533

Thank you for the pictures! I imagine there's some goodies in the overgrowth too on the boundaries judging by the last picture! Looks like a pleasant area to detect and let the stress of the world melt away...well, until you find out your buddies are hitting up the spot too when you're not there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread