Thinking outside the box and honey holes - how I found two of them.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in 2004, I noticed someone posting incredible finds on the forum and that they were in my county. I managed to get
out MD'ing with this person a couple times but I knew it was not to his honey holes. He was the friendly type and willing
to share a lot of things. Then I found out he was moving out of state and out of range for any of the places he was hunting.
I e-mailed him and offered to pay him to show me where he was finding all these great finds. He didn't want to take any
money but I insisted. So we met for lunch one Sat. and I paid for lunch. Then I gave him money promised. He took me to
two different sites which weren't really too far from each other but had no relation to each other. We had permission to
hunt both of these sites. We couldn't hunt long on our first visits but he showed me exactly where he found best items
and put me on the location. And it was quite a large location - if you were coming in cold.

Anyway, it turned out to be two honey holes that yielded many exciting colonial coins, spanish reales, and silver from
1800's. IH's, buckles, musket balls, buttons, etc. It was really quite amazing the depths I was pulling things with
my Minelab Explorer II, which I had come into peak mastery of that MD at the same time. I returned many times until
the finds were quite sparce, and then finally we moved to another county. I considered myself quite lucky and blessed.
And thanks John for passing me this baton - one hell of a ride!

Attachments

• 1787_One_Reale.jpg
    1787_One_Reale.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 1796_Draped_Bust.jpg
    1796_Draped_Bust.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 38
  • Eagle_Buttons_125.jpg
    Eagle_Buttons_125.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 39
Upvote 9
OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great bunch of finds. Totally worth the dinner and the finders fee!
yes, best money I invested in MD'ing other than my machines and worth every penny! Thank you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread