This guy is tight lipped about his find, to the extreme!

beachguy

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
1) I never researched this ....

but B) They are demanding the location of coins .

He claims to not know. Has anyone established rights to this haul? Has the rest of the tons of gold already been plundered or are they seeking that?

One of our guys here must know all about this already and can make us wise.

I yield the floor :)

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
He claims to not know. Has anyone established rights to this haul? Has the rest of the tons of gold already been plundered or are they seeking that?

I think his mistake, at least as it relates to his continued incarceration was pleading guilty in the first place. This quote from the article indicates that:

"But a federal appeals court in 2019 rejected Thompson’s argument that that law applies to him, saying his refusal violates conditions of a plea agreement."

Had he not accepted the plea he probably would have been out by now and feeling the wind at his back and the spray in his face. It was just a failure to appear charge. When you plead out, the court can attach all kinds of stipulations and conditions to the plea. What has me scratching my head is that he says he said all he knows about the coins. Now he is either guilty of perjury or he's telling the truth. The government should either tag him for the perjury or accept that he doesn't know anything. It's fine if the government says they don't believe him. Now just prove he's lying. It's like they've put him in an "are you still beating your wife" kind of situation. I would also think that a good lawyer could spring him on some kind of a habeas corpus kind of argument.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Original story I'd read back then said, he didn't pay divers and investors what they were supposed to get out of it.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Original story I'd read back then said, he didn't pay divers and investors what they were supposed to get out of it.
Yep, and then allegedly went and sold or hid the gold/proceeds from them, so they jailed him. It wasn't due to the big bad gov't wanting to take his treasure.

OP
OP
beachguy

beachguy

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think his mistake, at least as it relates to his continued incarceration was pleading guilty in the first place. This quote from the article indicates that:

"But a federal appeals court in 2019 rejected Thompson’s argument that that law applies to him, saying his refusal violates conditions of a plea agreement."

Had he not accepted the plea he probably would have been out by now and feeling the wind at his back and the spray in his face. It was just a failure to appear charge. When you plead out, the court can attach all kinds of stipulations and conditions to the plea. What has me scratching my head is that he says he said all he knows about the coins. Now he is either guilty of perjury or he's telling the truth. The government should either tag him for the perjury or accept that he doesn't know anything. It's fine if the government says they don't believe him. Now just prove he's lying. It's like they've put him in an "are you still beating your wife" kind of situation. I would also think that a good lawyer could spring him on some kind of a habeas corpus kind of argument.

WaveJunky757

Jan 31, 2018
Virginia Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He must just really like jail. Like what was stated above, charge him
For perjury or accept he doesn’t know anything and prove he lied. He must have really pissed off the wrong high up type of person for this case to keep going the way it is. If he already pleaded guilty, charge him. Not sure what his/his lawyers angle is.... IF he knows where they are then he’s protecting someone (or protecting his own life by not snitching).

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
they will keep him in jail until he tells * if he robbed a bank he would get 20 years then its time served --and he would get rekeased --if he did not say where he hid his stash of loot they would tail him non stop --no way they wil release him to be able to "disappear" with any loot he has left --heck they could not find him when he waas staying in a high class hotel

dersegler

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This guy must have defrauded investors causing legal woes. That aside I can understand why he remains tight lipped about the find.

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn’t they find a bunch of stuff when the found him. If I remember correctly cash bands for $100 bills, books on disappearing, and multiple IDs in different names? Kind of suspect if everything was done correct and legal.

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh well…The world is still turning…Investors were his big mistake…

Ed T;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread