Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I use a method similar to the ones stated here, sometimes on coins, definitely on hard to clean silver jewelry.
I mix a little water and a bit of salt plus some baking soda, baking powder in a pinch if baking soda or washing powder isn't available, and mix it into a thin slurry then put it in a shallow pan.
Place a piece of foil on the bottom submerged a bit and bring to a boil.
The instant it boils throw the silver piece on top of the coil and using tongs turn it over to make sure all surfaces touch that foil for just a few seconds.
Pretty much instantaneous...nothing I ever did this to took more than 5 seconds to get clean.

Here is one of my most illustrative success stories using this method.
This ring was found deep in the woods in the bank surrounding a long ago forgotten fishing hole.
Because it was down near the water for probably many years sitting in that moist environment tarnished it to black...I have never found another silver tarnished as much as this thing except for a silver quarter that I found at the same site and never noticed until I tumbled it to make it clean.
This ring was so black it shocked me when I saw the 925 stamp after examining it a little closer when I found it.
Normal smooth surfaced rings are easy to clean, a little silver polish and elbow grease and that black tarnish comes off pretty easily, no way to get inside and around these marcasite stones and into all those nooks and crannies to clean it that way on this thing.
Rags, brushes even a buffing wheel just wouldn't have worked here so I used the pan method.
A few seconds turning it over while sitting on top of that piece of foil to touch all the sides and this was the result.

Attachments

• photostudio_1511007248754.jpg
    photostudio_1511007248754.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 300
  • photostudio_1511008760483.jpg
    photostudio_1511008760483.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:

Kadiska

Feb 18, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a great idea for coins, but I respectfully suggest that it is not optimal for silverware, either plate or sterling. For silver pieces, from tea and coffee services to cutlery, part of the beauty IS the lovely patina that is caused by time, use, and careful polishing. I do totally agree that many polishes may be a bit much for everyday polishing, but reputable polishes such as Hagerty’s Silver Polish and Twinkle certainly have their place. ANY chemical reaction-based cleaning system is far too harsh for silver. And the black tarnish remaining in the grooves of the handles of lovely silverware and in the detail of a silver piece accentuates that actual detailing.
When I look at silver, I can immediately tell when the baking soda-aluminum process has been used because the silver now has a slightly different colour to it and has lost its beautiful patina. It breaks my heart, because as far as I have found in 30 years of experience, there is no coming back from that: the silver piece is now effectively ruined. I have also purchased beautifully polished silver, only to find it almost immediately tarnishes under normal conditions that do not affect my other pieces. This is invariably because someone has used a chemical-based cleaner, often in a wadding format: this actually creates tiny pores in the silver, which, as you can imagine is not a good thing.
There are a few easily obtainable silver polishes I’d recommend, which professional silver restorers I have spoken to over the years have used:

Very tarnished silver: Twinkle, perhaps several times. Hagerty’s Silver Polish, which is higher in whiting and very effective. (When using Hagerty’s, I used nitrile gloves, which leave no marks on the silver and are quite comfortable.)

Everyday regular maintenance when tarnished: Twinkle silver polish. Quite frankly, I was surprised when I discovered this! It’s so gentle I don’t need gloves, it smells pleasant, it works magic, and is extraordinarily gentle. Because it foams as you use it (it is almost like a bar soap in that way), it does clean detailing very well. It leaves a lovely shine. Twinkle is also easy to find and pretty cheap. It removes NO silver!

Everyday dishwashing cleaning: Dawn dish soap, a very soft cloth, ample hot or warm water, and a flannelette cloth. Paper towels leave fine scratches. Wash and rinse thoroughly, polish dry. Old towels work well, old flannelette diapers are the best!

Although I use these techniques on antique and contemporary silver, I also find they work well on dimes and old quarters etcetera.

I hope this info is useful! I’m going to follow the other terrific directions for more damaged or degraded coins, like those found buried under sand on a salty beach, for example, but after I’ve tried Twinkle and a super-soft toothbrush.

I really appreciate what you have written. I, too, wondered why on earth people would buy polish rather than using the more dramatic chemical methodology, but this is pretty much standard techniques for collectable or inherited silver, and is the method generally used in museums to maintain and clean their silver items. It really depends on what kind of patina you want to end up with.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buckleboy
I can not believed that I never 'liked' your original post as I have recommended it a few times over the years.

We have dialog-ed a few times over the years ( I was Complaining about "not finding a Barber Quarter" I think it was .

Think you have gone on to find a Couple, well last Sunday I dug my 1 st Barber Half, Me being an OCD Coin Collector (they don't mix well) I rarely even buy silver that I feel is 'A-OK'. Add a 10 X loop & I never buy anything. Don't care for Proof 'Circulation ' Coins either.

OK My issue my Barber is Caked to the point I just figured out what it was yesterday , I could see s a star in the field so I knew it was a Barber or Before. It's 1900 ...'O' maybe (that area still has dirt), but IMO XF maybe. & as you likely know that would make it a pretty pricey 'retail' coin .Esp, if "O" mint, as 2 of the 3 Barber Dimes I have dug in the Atlanta area were.
Tho ill never sell.

I would like your Opinion on How to get the Dirt/Clay off.

I usually use the force of water & the Softest Make-up brush I can find & 'dabb' at the Coin.

I really only want to get the dirt off 'nothing Else'.

Like this (goona try to post a picture of a Capped Bust Half Dime I dug a few years ago) the lady at my Coin Store Hangout stated she could still see dirt in the reeds , under magnification.
That's fine with me , for now or the next 20 years.

Well that did not work The H Dime was in a 2016 Album.

Thanks for any Suggestions.
Davers

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does the detail on this half look ? 140.JPG

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buckleboy
I can not believed that I never 'liked' your original post as I have recommended it a few times over the years.

We have dialog-ed a few times over the years ( I was Complaining about "not finding a Barber Quarter" I think it was .

Think you have gone on to find a Couple, well last Sunday I dug my 1 st Barber Half, Me being an OCD Coin Collector (they don't mix well) I rarely even buy silver that I feel is 'A-OK'. Add a 10 X loop & I never buy anything. Don't care for Proof 'Circulation ' Coins either.

OK My issue my Barber is Caked to the point I just figured out what it was yesterday , I could see s a star in the field so I knew it was a Barber or Before. It's 1900 ...'O' maybe (that area still has dirt), but IMO XF maybe. & as you likely know that would make it a pretty pricey 'retail' coin .Esp, if "O" mint, as 2 of the 3 Barber Dimes I have dug in the Atlanta area were.
Tho ill never sell.

I usually use the force of water & the Softest Make-up brush I can find & 'dabb' at the Coin.

Like this (goona try to post a picture of a Capped Bust Half Dime I dug a few years ago) the lady at my Coin Store Hangout stated she could still see dirt in the reeds , under magnification.

Davers[/QUOTE

Well after soaking in Luke warm Spring Water then Spraying with same water out of a squirt bottle.

I could see my Half is an 'O' mint & Has a Strong Full Liberty.

So IMO the "O" & High grade make this a few hundred dollar coin 'Retail' .

It still has dirt on it , I did not have the 'kahunas' to 'Makeup Brush' the coin ; the less fine scratches the better.

I got Blessed with this one , I don't think if was in Circulation long before being lost.

As I stated before "I don't want it to shine , just want the dirt off."
Thanks .Davers

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buckleboy

Tho ill never sell.

Davers[/QUOTE

Well after soaking in Luke warm Spring Water then Spraying with same water out of a squirt bottle.

It still has dirt on it , I did not have the 'kahunas' to 'Makeup Brush' the coin ; the less fine scratches the better.

I got Blessed with this one , I don't think if was in Circulation long before being lost.

Thanks .Davers

Hello Davers,

The force of the water will not leave scratches. Nor will swishing the coin in a bucket of water, but as I stated I always soak mine first (they have gotten dry after coming in from the field, so the dirt can cake to them). I'd recommend seeing how much dirt can be removed without using the brush first. So sorry I TOTALLY missed this post back in April! Apologies!

Best Wishes,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before/After:

IMG_1920R.jpg IMG_1921R.jpg

IMG_1920RA.jpg IMG_1921RA.jpg

Where the eagle's wing was touching the foil oddly there was a bit of staining on the reverse which would disappear with one more treatment but I think I'll leave her as she is. I'm always amazed that the original mint luster is often still there hiding underneath the tarnish on ground-found silvers with little wear.

Cheers,

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have seen silver coins that came out of New Orleans after hurricane Katrina that were completely black from sitting in water after the flooding. This would have been the way to clean them.

I live right outside New Orleans on the Northshore I 2nd that.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey buckle boy will it work on a old baby silver spoon I used a chemical dip on and basically made it look dull and in my opinion worst or leave it alone? IMG_0012.JPG

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey buckle boy will it work on a old baby silver spoon I used a chemical dip on and basically made it look dull and in my opinion worst or leave it alone? View attachment 1628046

I think it will work amazingly well on that spoon. If you decide to try it, plz post the results!

SeekerProB

Nov 16, 2018
South East Alabama
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Began with Bounty Hunter, Now have AT Pro and AT Max.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you guys for the info. When I find silver I will know what to do! Lol!

ShinyShores

Mar 19, 2020
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the advice! After 3 soaks it cleaned up pretty nice.

** i used a drop of dish soap on my fingers between wipings to help get the black stuff off as the black stuff broke down kind of oily and it worked wonders at removing it.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1585928113.017259.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1585928122.834817.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1585928135.356391.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1585928143.987512.jpg

Thanks for looking! Stay safe friends!

Mar 5, 2019
Powhatan, VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried buckleboys method and it worked somewhat. I didn’t get the results most of you have but I think this coin may have been in a fire or something. Either way it still looks much better and I’m pleased with it now. B5180018-EDEC-4187-BCF8-48A61853AF0E.jpeg
I had to perform the cleaning about 10 times to get these results. You can actually read “LIBERTY” across her cap now and see all the stars more clearly. Thanks buckleboy!

Attachments

• 66F3445B-1A3A-4979-8336-C0939E8012A2.jpeg
    66F3445B-1A3A-4979-8336-C0939E8012A2.jpeg
    753.3 KB · Views: 104
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ewell?€™s retreat;6475523 said:
I tried buckleboys method and it worked somewhat. I didn’t get the results most of you have but I think this coin may have been in a fire or something. Either way it still looks much better and I’m pleased with it now.
attachment.php

I had to perform the cleaning about 10 times to get these results. You can actually read “LIBERTY” across her cap now and see all the stars more clearly. Thanks buckleboy!

happy to help!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buckleboy

Tho ill never sell.

Davers[/QUOTE

Thanks .Davers

Hey Davers have you ever found that Barber Quarter yet?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions