This is just crazy amount of Spanish gold!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 2.17.38 PM.png

Upvote 38

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the issue is the potential that someone might know where you hunted and join you (thus "crowding a spot") , then you're right : When it comes to beach erosion, you can "tell the world" 3 days later. And the world can come detect there till the cows come home. And they will find absolutely nothing. Until ~ 10 yrs. later when perhaps it erodes again at that exact spot.

I can show people spots here in CA where 100 silver coins showed up in a single day after the 1982-83 storms (and nearly 500 coins total, and 12 gold rings). And you can go there now and will be lucky to get a few zinc pennies.

Thus there is no risk in making a show & tell video for beach erosion. Because it comes and goes. And only those that are keen to study tides and swells and winds, and are there to monitor it , are going to arrive on those "just so right" days in the future.
Yup !!

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What are opinions on whether the stuff comes out of the dunes or is down under the sand. Was the shoreline eastward of now or west? And would it pay to detect, with permission of course, the land on either side of the walk overs?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
What are opinions on whether the stuff comes out of the dunes or is down under the sand. Was the shoreline eastward of now or west? And would it pay to detect, with permission of course, the land on either side of the walk overs?
Google "Tom's beach tips", and you will find an article I wrote about beach erosion. Granted, it's focused on CA. But can be applicable elsewhere for general principles.

And as far as the land next to the beach, now you're asking a land-hunt question. Not sure why someone would "need permission" to detect @ the land directly adjacent to the beach. Is it private property or something ?

mcluvin

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind the finds were months before the video was put out....I had herd of this find when I was in vero back in October......7 escudos at the base of a staircase....I may have related that to shpillips when I was there ?? I may have even written about it here
That video was posted right after the last big storm? St. Augustine beaches have lots of black sand. Crescent beach has heavy shell. It’s kind of unique, at least between Jax and Daytona.

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Huh ? Why wouldn't someone of us MD'rs want to show & tell like that ? Heck, isn't that what it's all about ? Bragging rights, and show & tell are 90% of the fun of our hobby. A quick look at T'net today's finds section shows this commonality between us all.

It would be like this : If your hobby was snow skiing, and you FINALLY achieved a triple back flip, then you DURNED WELL HOPE that your buddies were there to see it. Or that your buddy caught it on film. Ie: Why not ?

Or if you're an NFL player and make a spectacular end zone reception, and if you see your replay shown on the NFL recap "play of the week", you are going to think : DURNED RIGHT ! And when your team-mates come in giving you high 5's, you're gonna say "durned right", eh ?

It's in our blood. MD'ing is just as much a bragging-rights trophy hobby/sport as any other hobby or sport. And we all love to see each other's trophies and compete, so-to-speak.

So I don't understand why would not understand anyone in our ranks not wanting to post. Do you think that puts him a risk or thieves targeting his house ? Or the IRS is going to come knocking on his door ? Please elaborate on your rationale, as I am genuinely curious.
There are vast differences between making a hole-in-one, epic catch in the end zone or other hobby activities....and finding GOLD in unknown quantities.

Sure.... tell your story.... well after the event has passed and you're assured of no beach crowding or potential theft (yes, personal safety reasons).

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I watched both the silver and gold videos. Definitely the hunt / spot we all dream about. Wonder if he just got lucky or had a hunch coins would deposit after a weather event in this small patch of beach. Looks like he waited at least 9 months before releasing the videos. Google the value of some of those gold coins… that haul may be worth $200,000 +. I would be working out a quantity deal with PCG to get all of those coins graded. Then sell my detector and look for a new hobby.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I watched both the silver and gold videos. Definitely the hunt / spot we all dream about. Wonder if he just got lucky or had a hunch coins would deposit after a weather event in this small patch of beach. Looks like he waited at least 9 months before releasing the videos. Google the value of some of those gold coins… that haul may be worth $200,000 +. I would be working out a quantity deal with PCG to get all of those coins graded. Then sell my detector and look for a new hobby.
You had up till the last sentence.
I'd just buy a better detector.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
asking again because I know dick about coins/ detecting....
these coins eventually got washed out of a 300yr stationary position?
I mean being they were so close together and in great condition.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
asking again because I know dick about coins/ detecting....
these coins eventually got washed out of a 300yr stationary position?
I mean being they were so close together and in great condition.

while rare, yes: This can happen @ beach erosion. And at first blush: It might seem strange that.... all of the sudden a strata is revealed that hadn't ever been revealed before. BECAUSE: There's been whopper cyclone storms that have hit the coast there, every 7 or 10 yrs. or whatever. Eh ? Thus *presumably* this strata or depth should logically have been reached before, thus mixing up all the targets (assuming the targets come back in , with the sand, during the spring/summer buildup of the beach-sand-migration).

But I have noticed that EVEN THOUGH WE HAD the "100 yr. storm" in 1982-83 on the west coast, and another whopper series of swells/tides during the '96-97 event, yet : There STILL continued to be beaches that had (and continue to have) new zones that seemingly were never reached in past events.

The reason for this is: That when the swells & tides and on-shore storm winds erode, they are not always eroding at the exact same spot. So, for example, at a certain given beach, in a certain erosion episode, the hot-spot may be a certain zone "here" and a certain zone "there". Yet not be the entire length of the entire beach. Then 2 yrs. later, erosion hits again, and the "hot spot" might be a block further down than the prior episode , in "all new sand".

Same for how-far-back into the dunes the erosion can affect : I have found silver coins that looked like they had come from land sites (ie.: never spent their life bathed in salt-water briny sand). This is because they got eroded out of dunes that ...... prior to this ... high-water events had never reached before. EVEN THOUGH PRIOR YEAR'S STORMS had been more severe. This is because mother nature doesn't always erode the same spots and dunes and cliffs, year after year. She develops different bees in-her-bonnet, at different locations, depending on subtleties of swell and wind direction of each event.

Lastly : Very heavy targets (like gold coins and fishing sinkers) move much less than lighter weight pennies/dimes. So when erosion has occurred, if any objects are going to be "stuck" at bedrock (assuming all the sand was washed out, leaving only cobble and tide-pools/rock), then: It's going to be the pennies and dimes that went "all the way out", and the heavier items that remain (since they're heavier and dense).

There was an episode like this in Monterey , CA a few years ago, where the resulting eroded surface looked like the surface of the moon: Pock-marked bedrock . And there was almost NO pennies/dimes there (and CERTAINLY no aluminum). The resulting items were strictly lead, old copper & brass hardware fixture junk, etc... And a $5 gold, etc...

Unfortunately, for the episode in Monterey @ the last paragraph ^^ , this happened at a beach that was used as a turn-of-century dumping ground for fill-dirt and municipal garbage (hence tons of lead and brass to wade through). But I can imagine that if this same phenomenon had happened at a strictly touristy beach, there would have been higher odds at gold coins. That had resisted all prior storm/erosion events, and remained stationary.

This is why gold coins, when found on the beach after erosion, rarely show evidence of having been "in and out" with the sand migration. Ie.: the effects seen on silver coins, where they are "sand-blasted", proving they've come in and out on the sand for decades. The 4 gold coins I've found after beach storms, on the other hand, were perfect. As if they'd never moved. DESPITE probable erosion at those exact spots (Ie.: they didn't necessarily "just fall out of the dunes").

Have I made any sense ? Does this answer your question ?

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the ships wrecked in 1715 the only civilized outpost was st. Augustine. Many survivors tried to make the trek from vero to augustine by foot. Along that beach trek many died with there wealth which they were carrying on there person. So it could well be that survivors died here. My mentors here in the keys once found a bunch of gold escudos scattered amongst the bones of a dead spanish survivor from the 1733 fleet. He was quite a distance from the salvage camp and was in the middle of the island when he perished !! Any scenario could happen.....wish I had a time machine !!
which ship went down in the keys? I thought they were all on the coast of the mainland!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
which ship went down in the keys? I thought they were all on the coast of the mainland!
Sorry didn't mean to confuse.....no ships from the 1715 fleet wrecked in the keys. They all wrecked on the treasurecoast of mainland Florida. There was another fleet in 1733 that sunk in the keys....to separate fleets and events !!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry didn't mean to confuse.....no ships from the 1715 fleet wrecked in the keys. They all wrecked on the treasurecoast of mainland Florida. There was another fleet in 1733 that sunk in the keys....to separate fleets and events !!
Technically... heh

Most out there dont realize.... not one... repeat... not one....

1715 fleet ship has actually been found.

mcluvin

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With at least some of the gold, there was oxidation in the surrounding sand. That would make me think those coins sat there for a bit.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Technically... heh

Most out there dont realize.... not one... repeat... not one....

1715 fleet ship has actually been found.
That is an interesting bit of information, thanks.

Reactions: ARC

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an interesting bit of information, thanks.
Yes.... Crazy huh.

Now i am sure several have been over the years and are labeled various names... but as to factual definitive distinctions as to a certain ship has been elusive.

In other words... not one of any of the wreck sites can be absolutely "checked off the list".

Everything thus far is... and always has been.... speculative.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
? ? ?

This is not true.... at least concerning the 1715.

No ship has been found in modern times... now back when the accident first happened some were.
WHO said anything about "modern times" ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread