This is just crazy amount of Spanish gold!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 2.17.38 PM.png

Upvote 38

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
while rare, yes: This can happen @ beach erosion. And at first blush: It might seem strange that.... all of the sudden a strata is revealed that hadn't ever been revealed before. BECAUSE: There's been whopper cyclone storms that have hit the coast there, every 7 or 10 yrs. or whatever. Eh ? Thus *presumably* this strata or depth should logically have been reached before, thus mixing up all the targets (assuming the targets come back in , with the sand, during the spring/summer buildup of the beach-sand-migration).

But I have noticed that EVEN THOUGH WE HAD the "100 yr. storm" in 1982-83 on the west coast, and another whopper series of swells/tides during the '96-97 event, yet : There STILL continued to be beaches that had (and continue to have) new zones that seemingly were never reached in past events.

The reason for this is: That when the swells & tides and on-shore storm winds erode, they are not always eroding at the exact same spot. So, for example, at a certain given beach, in a certain erosion episode, the hot-spot may be a certain zone "here" and a certain zone "there". Yet not be the entire length of the entire beach. Then 2 yrs. later, erosion hits again, and the "hot spot" might be a block further down than the prior episode , in "all new sand".

Same for how-far-back into the dunes the erosion can affect : I have found silver coins that looked like they had come from land sites (ie.: never spent their life bathed in salt-water briny sand). This is because they got eroded out of dunes that ...... prior to this ... high-water events had never reached before. EVEN THOUGH PRIOR YEAR'S STORMS had been more severe. This is because mother nature doesn't always erode the same spots and dunes and cliffs, year after year. She develops different bees in-her-bonnet, at different locations, depending on subtleties of swell and wind direction of each event.

Lastly : Very heavy targets (like gold coins and fishing sinkers) move much less than lighter weight pennies/dimes. So when erosion has occurred, if any objects are going to be "stuck" at bedrock (assuming all the sand was washed out, leaving only cobble and tide-pools/rock), then: It's going to be the pennies and dimes that went "all the way out", and the heavier items that remain (since they're heavier and dense).

There was an episode like this in Monterey , CA a few years ago, where the resulting eroded surface looked like the surface of the moon: Pock-marked bedrock . And there was almost NO pennies/dimes there (and CERTAINLY no aluminum). The resulting items were strictly lead, old copper & brass hardware fixture junk, etc... And a $5 gold, etc...

Unfortunately, for the episode in Monterey @ the last paragraph ^^ , this happened at a beach that was used as a turn-of-century dumping ground for fill-dirt and municipal garbage (hence tons of lead and brass to wade through). But I can imagine that if this same phenomenon had happened at a strictly touristy beach, there would have been higher odds at gold coins. That had resisted all prior storm/erosion events, and remained stationary.

This is why gold coins, when found on the beach after erosion, rarely show evidence of having been "in and out" with the sand migration. Ie.: the effects seen on silver coins, where they are "sand-blasted", proving they've come in and out on the sand for decades. The 4 gold coins I've found after beach storms, on the other hand, were perfect. As if they'd never moved. DESPITE probable erosion at those exact spots (Ie.: they didn't necessarily "just fall out of the dunes").

Have I made any sense ? Does this answer your question ?
100% totally makes sense... especially considering the time something like a gold coin would have to work it's way deeper than pretty much anything else..

My mom live out on the Washington coast and 100 year old houses are falling into the ocean. The beach front ones fell in 50 years ago....making new beach front homes and now they are dropping in. It doesn't take long for things to change drastically. Appreciate the response !

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Relics Radio podcast interviewed him, it is an amazing story. That’s the kind of stuff metal detectorists dream of.

Thanks for the post up of that podcast

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds... just incredible! But please tell me this guy didn't dig up these Spanish cobs and escudos on New Smyrna Beach (where I read Jimmy Crossbones lives). I spent a week in NSB a couple of summer's ago and found exactly jack squat.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I went down there I too would find jack squat. He's very popular.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If I went down there I too would find jack squat. He's very popular.
Awesome finds... just incredible! But please tell me this guy didn't dig up these Spanish cobs and escudos on New Smyrna Beach (where I read Jimmy Crossbones lives). I spent a week in NSB a couple of summer's ago and found exactly jack squat.

I can show you a beach in CA where I got a $2.50 gold and about 50 silver coins (and over 100 wheaties) in a single day (heck, in just a couple of hours). And you could go there now, and be lucky to find a zinc penny. But perhaps later-this-winter it might "go off " again.

It has to do with being there ,at various beaches, when erosion is hitting. Ie.: Timing timing timing. Not: Location location location (in the case of beach-erosion-action).

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can think of one major reason I wouldn't want to advertise it by posting it on youtube etc is taxes, those coins are taxable income, even if you don't sell them.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I can think of one major reason I wouldn't want to advertise it by posting it on youtube etc is taxes, those coins are taxable income, even if you don't sell them.
TH'r : As you know, our hobbyist forums are FILLED with show & tell . We all love to collect our bragging rights. Eh ? Sometimes even valuable stuff. Eh ?

Ok, can you cite any incidents of any IRS agents showing up on anyone's door-steps, asking for tax payments on coins we find ?

Not saying it hasn't happened. Perhaps you know of an example ?

I am tempted to think that no one is reading geeky md'ing forums, except us md'r geeks. Ie.: I highly doubt that IRS agents are lurking on our forums "looking to bust our chops". If I'm wrong, and you know any examples, please do share.

I say this respectfully, in direct reply to your post.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH'r : As you know, our hobbyist forums are FILLED with show & tell . We all love to collect our bragging rights. Eh ? Sometimes even valuable stuff. Eh ?

Ok, can you cite any incidents of any IRS agents showing up on anyone's door-steps, asking for tax payments on coins we find ?

Not saying it hasn't happened. Perhaps you know of an example ?

I am tempted to think that no one is reading geeky md'ing forums, except us md'r geeks. Ie.: I highly doubt that IRS agents are lurking on our forums "looking to bust our chops". If I'm wrong, and you know any examples, please do share.

I say this respectfully, in direct reply to your post.
Every one of the lessers of the treasure leases pays taxes on what is found, the couple who found the gold coins in cans in California owed taxes as well. Finding a few dollars in coins will not trigger anything, finding 4 Spanish gold coins worth in the range of $20,000-$25,000 and advertising them publically is asking for the IRS to knock on your door, not only will you owe the taxes, but penalities and interest too.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
...., the couple who found the gold coins in cans in California owed taxes ...

Ok. Then I guess if any of us finds the next Atocha, or finds coffee cans full of millions of dollars of gold coins, then ... sure . But for the fumble fingers stuff we perpetually see on md'ing forums (even valuable stuff) : We agree there's nothing to worry about.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok. Then I guess if any of us finds the next Atocha, or finds coffee cans full of millions of dollars of gold coins, then ... sure . But for the fumble fingers stuff we perpetually see on md'ing forums (even valuable stuff) : We agree there's nothing to worry about.
Tom if you want to dodge the IRS that is your business $20,000 to $25,000 is not small stuff to the IRS which is why I said................

Deltanimal

Oct 2, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It makes me so happy this guy landed a sweet haul outside of the leased areas. For years I have tried to find out how to get permissions to work the 1715 areas, but they seem to have their contact information locked up tight (or ignore messages from their contact pages). I am sure there are plenty of people on this forum that would love to spend a day diving or surf hunting these spots, even if it cost them a little money.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It makes me so happy this guy landed a sweet haul outside of the leased areas. For years I have tried to find out how to get permissions to work the 1715 areas, but they seem to have their contact information locked up tight (or ignore messages from their contact pages). I am sure there are plenty of people on this forum that would love to spend a day diving or surf hunting these spots, even if it cost them a little money.
He found them ON the beach ... dont need to have permission to hunt there... lease or no lease area... doesnt matter.

What you DO need is... A WHOLE LOT of time and money.

Time to hunt for eons... and money to sustain your time hunting for eons. heh

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know if they still do, but some use to charge $2,000 a year to be a subcontractor.

Deltanimal

Oct 2, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know if they still do, but some use to charge $2,000 a year to be a subcontractor.

That is a lot of money, but I still think that there are a fair number of people who would be willing to play ball for that price. Especially if you were going to work an area for like a 2 week vacation.

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a lot of money, but I still think that there are a fair number of people who would be willing to play ball for that price. Especially if you were going to work an area for like a 2 week vacation.
I agree. And I'm sure I'm talking from a position of ignorance, but I'd be willing to bet that if it only cost $2000 a year to hunt in the water off the treasure coast (even in waist-deep water), there would be a line a mile long to sign up. I'm assuming that is what it means "to be a subcontractor?" I mean, I've spent around $2000 in just the last year on metal detecting-related equipment (I.e, a GoPro, Blue3 Nemo, new sand scoop, etc.), so it's not a cost outside the realm of most people with a decent income.

Or is it one of those deals that it is only $2000, but you have to know the right person/people (this is related to DeltaAnimals comment about not being able to contact anyone to figure out how to go about it)?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. And I'm sure I'm talking from a position of ignorance, but I'd be willing to bet that if it only cost $2000 a year to hunt in the water off the a treasure coast (even in waist-deep water), there would be a line a mile long to sign up. I'm assuming that is what it means "to be a subcontractor?" I mean, I've spent around $2000 in just the last year on metal detecting-related equipment (I.e, a GoPro, Blue3 Nemo, new sand scoop, etc.), so it's not a cost outside the realm of most people with a decent income.

Or is it one of those deals that it is only $2000, but you have to know the right person/people (this is related to DeltaAnimals comment about not being able to contact anyone to figure out how to go about it)?
don't know if any lease holders still do it, but Keep in mind you are working as a subcontractor for the lease holder, and owe the lease holders, the state 20%, and still owe income tax on anything found.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's caused quite a stir on the treasurecoast......rumor has it that he is way north of the known 1715 wrecks. Im not gonna say where I think he is but there could be another 1715 wreck offshore !! Whatever the case thats what dreams are made of !!
Recently, I went through a museum archive, for that area above 1715 Fleet. That is historic area where Spain overcame the French with a loss of the French Fleet. Then Spain set up a little known military outpost to salvage wrecks and aid shipwreck survivors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions